none
Windows 7 Recovery Image Boot Disk - How can I make a USB drive do the Exact Same Thing?

General discussion

• Hello.  Just a frustrating question that probably has a simple answer.

I just created a backup image of my clean Windows 7 Home Prem. installation using the resident Windows 7 "Backup and Restore" (which I think is great, and has saved me several times in the past without a hitch).  I've noticed that each time I do a backup image, I am offered to create a Windows 7 Recovery Disk --in case I need to enact the recovery from a boot device.  Again, all great stuff ... works like a charm.  So here is my question:

Is there a safe and reliable way for me to make an ordinary  USB thumb drive into a bootable Windows 7 Recovery "disk" that will do the exact same thing?  I mean specifically for the USB thumb drive to perform in the exact same way as the Recovery Disk up to and including image restore using the Windoew 7 "Backup and restore".

I ask because it seems like it might have made sense to be given such a choice after creating the backup image; in other words, a second choice to select USB in addition to a DVD.

Finally, if there is a way to get this bootable "Backup and Restore" media onto a thumb drive,  does that mean the thumb drive should be dedicated (meaning no other use, just tuck it away for emergencies)  ---or can it be put on at thumb drive with other data on it.  If so, I am imagining the recovery files would need to be in the root in order to boot. 

Anyway, if someone could let me know I would appreciate it. 

• Changed type tfcolligan Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:56 PM unsatisfactory answer
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies

• Make a USB flash drive a boot drive is safe. You can still use the USB drive as a data storage event it is your bootable device. Just do not delete the boot image on the drive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Thank you Arthur.  However, my concern about the data storage was secondary to my main question, for which I am hoping you can help: 

How do I make the USB Drive perform exactly as the Recovery DVD.   I already tried just moving the files from the root of the Windows 7 Recovery Image Boot Disk to the root of a USB, but that doesn't seem to do it.

So perhaps my question should be clarified: How do you make a  Windows 7 Recovery Image Boot USB THUMB DRIVE

Thanks for any info you can provide.  Tom

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Arthur,

Can you please tell me how to make a USB Boot Drive that will be suitable to run the Image Restore, if needed?

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi

You can try to use a flash drive that is large enough for the Recovry iso and the omage created from the computer in question.

Make the Flash drive bootable recovery, then store the image on the remainder space.

Jack, MVP-Networking. www.EZLAN.NET
    Monday, April 25, 2011 2:32 PM
  • I found a great utility that can very easily (I mean incredibly user friendly) turn a usb drive into a bootable OSI or recovery disk. It is called WINtoBootic. You can thank me by realying this to other people. You just get the ISO file you want whether complete windows or recovery file and drop it into the little box on the screen, insert a USB drive, format the drive, and then click Do It! and whamo a bootable usb. Then plug the USB into the broken computer and at bios select boot from usb drive and you are off. Pretty easy and awesome. The best I have found after much searching.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Please see my reply on the top of the thread.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:03 PM
  • This program WINtoBootic really worked.......  now I just have to find the Recovery Disc ISO file...
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 8:52 PM