none
Can't pin Windows Explorer to taskbar

Question

• I accidentally unpinned Windows Explorer from my taskbar and now I can't get it back. I can pin other apps like Word and Fallout, for example.

I've tried checking this folder, where I assume pinned shortcuts are stored: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar, and I can see all my pinned items, including 70 copies of Windows Explorer.lnk that presumably were generated when I desperately tried to pin it by dragging it and right clicking the shortcut and then clicking "Pin to Taskbar". Windows Explorer won't pin no matter how hard I try.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried to unlock the taskbar? Right-click the taskbar and select unlock.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following link:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/dca1be89-7895-4e00-987d-f027264ebc32

And let me know the result.

Monday, November 08, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Unfortunately, it didn't work. I've searched all over the Internet and I can't come up with another solution to this thing that's been bugging me for nearly three months.
    Also, this guy had the same problem on the Beta:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/24994496-51c5-44fa-bb5d-53f94a9be9ca

• Proposed as answer by BLACKLIZT Monday, August 08, 2011 11:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BLACKLIZT Monday, August 08, 2011 11:42 AM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:40 AM
  • http://www.osattack.com/windows-7/fix-windows-explorer-in-windows-7-correctly-pin-it-to-the-taskbar/

this works 100%

Monday, August 08, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Had the same problem, and all the other solutions suggested here didn't work.

Simplest way to get around this is - System Restore (assuming you already had Windows Explorer pinned and accidently unpinned it).

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:57 PM
  • First you have to open windows explorer. Then right-click on the icon at the bottom and click 'pin to taskbar'. It worked for me.
    • Edited by kali77 Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kali77 Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:40 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:39 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I made a desktop shortcut (right-click->new->shortcut).  In the target I linked it to "C:\Windows\explorer.exe".  Once the shortcut was created, I dragged it to the taskbar. 
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Easiest way I found is go to Start,All Programs,Accessories and then right click Windows Explorer.In the menu choose Pin to Taskbar.
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Thanks!  Good answer and it worked for me too.  Opens on the "Libraries" folder and I don't like that but I believe I can change the shortcut and fix it.

Cecebee

Saturday, July 07, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Easiest way I found is go to Start,All Programs,Accessories and then right click Windows Explorer.In the menu choose Pin to Taskbar.
    Helpful! 
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:48 AM
  • I was having the same problem, I accidentally unpinned windows explorer and couldn't figure out how to re-pin it.  I can't believe it was that simple.  Thank you!
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:11 PM
  • I was having the same problem, I accidentally unpinned windows explorer and couldn't figure out how to re-pin it.  I can't believe it was that simple.  Thank you!

Ditto for me. I feel almost stupid! Thanks for the simple answer!
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Try pinning user account to task bar. Worked for me
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:57 PM
  • Works Great !!! Thanks.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Bad Link.
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:40 PM

When I open the menu with a right click, Pin to Taskbar is not available as a choice.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Even easier solution in Win8:  Open FILE EXPLORER via 'Search' > right-click on folder now in taskbar > select 'pin folder to taskbar'.  Job done ;)

I had same problem, but couldn't find start menu list in Win8 to access Accessories, so played around til used search option to open File Explorer and above solution did the trick :)

If there's a problem, there's got to be a solution too - it's just a case of finding it :)

• Proposed as answer by PC-CHICK Monday, March 31, 2014 4:19 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 4:19 AM
  • If you're still searching for the answer, it might be what finally worked for me.  Open up REGEDIT (type it in the search bar and it will show). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\explorer.exe

I had a name called "NoStartPage", of Type REG_SZ.  If you have it, delete it. Then Restart your machine. This is what finally fixed it for me, I could now pin to taskbar my Windows Explorer folder.

• Proposed as answer by pjcamp Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:45 PM
    Friday, May 23, 2014 3:18 AM
  • It's very simple.

1. Open some miscellaneous folder e.g., music/songs, etc., from My computer's C drive or any other drive.

2. Right click on the opened folder icon in the taskbar.

3. You will see the Windows explorer in the list.

4. Point on to the Windows explorer and right click and Select the Pin this program to taskbar.

5. You are done!

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:13 AM
  • UPDATE: There is an answer in this list that works, I just overlooked it. See SeattleRetro1 above.

I have this problem. None of the suggested fixes work. Windows Explorer is unpinnable. Pinning is not an option when you right click on Explorer.exe. It is not an option when you have explorer running and you right click onth taskbar icon. If you create a shortcut to it, the shortcut is unpinnable. If you look in the UserPinned/Taskbar folder, there are a bazillion instances of Windows Explorer, one for each time you tried to pin it. But none of them show up on the actual taskbar. There are other shortcuts in that folder that don't show up either. You can make them show up by right clicking and pinning. Then you have two entries in the folder and one thing on the taskbar. This method does not work with explorer.exe. Explorer is totally unpinnable.

• Edited by pjcamp Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:46 PM found solution
    Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Not the answer.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Doesn't have that option for me.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:32 PM
  • Doesn't have that option for me.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:32 PM
  • THAT is the right answer! Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:45 PM