none
Keyboard typing extra letters. Help?

Question

• I have a HP TouchSmart 300 running Windows 7. I have been using the bluetooth wireless keyboard that comes with the computer and recently, it is typing extra letters with one key pressed. For example:

p= p;-

l= ol

a= qa`

I have restarted the computer, changed the batteries in the keyboard, cleaned it, restored my computer. I finally hooked up an external keyboard, and as you can see, it works fine. So is there a possibility that there is a connection error between the computer and the keyboard that has to be fixed within the computer?

Or do we all just agree that it is the keyboard and I should take this forum over to HP?

Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:37 AM

Answers

• Well, if you poped off a key and pushed the sensor directly and it still did it... I would say it shorted out and some of the sauder on the motherboard is now cross connecting or somthing to that extent. But you could also have conflicting signals with your wireless mouse. Might want to try a wired mouse and check the keyboard again see if it stops. If not I would suggest taking the problem to HP support forum, getting a refund and buying a new one, or taking it apart and cleaning the board with 99% alcohol.

Simply replacing it with a new one could do the trick.

Other things you could do are: Check usb drivers, and user interface, Maybe check the key map for it.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

Just as MS said, update the drivers for Keyboard is good choice.  Also, if you have others keyboard you can use it for check.

But the issue seems caused by HP hardware, you can also try to contact HP Tech for further help.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:51 AM

All replies

• You can go to HP dot com and look up the model then download in a fresh up to date driver for it.

(If you have kids somone may be hiding a spill check between the keys for sticky stuff also vacuume out dust and debree tilt keyboard upside down and tap to see if crumbs and stuff fall out)

I put the letters you posted in a transplator and it didn't come up with anything although you may have altered the language of the keyboard some how (I doubt this though no real evidence)

Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Drivers are all current.

Keyboard is all cleaned.

And if I had changed the language, I don't think the external keyboard would work. Checked anyways and its fine too.

I even popped off a letter on the keyboard and clicked the membrane and it typed the three letters.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Well, if you poped off a key and pushed the sensor directly and it still did it... I would say it shorted out and some of the sauder on the motherboard is now cross connecting or somthing to that extent. But you could also have conflicting signals with your wireless mouse. Might want to try a wired mouse and check the keyboard again see if it stops. If not I would suggest taking the problem to HP support forum, getting a refund and buying a new one, or taking it apart and cleaning the board with 99% alcohol.

Simply replacing it with a new one could do the trick.

Other things you could do are: Check usb drivers, and user interface, Maybe check the key map for it.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

Just as MS said, update the drivers for Keyboard is good choice.  Also, if you have others keyboard you can use it for check.

But the issue seems caused by HP hardware, you can also try to contact HP Tech for further help.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:51 AM