none
Win 8 / Office 2013 - how to compress a jpeg?

Question

• Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to compress a jpeg in a Windows 8 / Office 2013 environment?

We used to use Office Picture Manager for this but that seems to be missing from Office 2013, surely this functionality is built-in somewhere isn't it?

Thanks,
      Nick

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:50 AM

Answers

• Agree. The new Office 2013 kind of sucks compared to older versions. Lots and lots of features are now missing. Costs more. Does less.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:58 PM
  • photo gallery will compress jpegs to whatever quality setting you like.  you just have to set it at the program level, meaning it won't ask you what you want to set it to for each image.

go to file->options->edit and drag the slider higher or lower.

i think photo gallery is much better than office picture manager... just my 2cents

Thursday, May 02, 2013 11:27 AM

All replies

• Many people are lamenting... Give a try to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/photo-gallery-get-started

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Wow, I can't believe that Microsoft forgot such basic functionality as an image compressor!  This is a bit of a big step backwards.  I can see a reinstall of Office 2003 being the simplest thing to do, at least that could compress images.

Been reading about that 'Photo Gallery' that you suggested but not even sure that it can compress images, nothing in the documentation to suggest it has that feature.  Is it available from the Win 8 Store?  Actually looking at the Store there are many photo editors but don't know how to establish which will just do simple image compression without all the bloat.

Nick

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:53 AM
  • Agree. The new Office 2013 kind of sucks compared to older versions. Lots and lots of features are now missing. Costs more. Does less.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:58 PM
  • photo gallery will compress jpegs to whatever quality setting you like.  you just have to set it at the program level, meaning it won't ask you what you want to set it to for each image.

go to file->options->edit and drag the slider higher or lower.

i think photo gallery is much better than office picture manager... just my 2cents

Thursday, May 02, 2013 11:27 AM