none
How to change a file's Rating?

Question

• Is there a way to change the Rating of a file? (Or other such properties).
    I'm talking about the 5-star rating that shows up in the Details Pane when you click on a file. Also displayed in file properties.

Would I need a special program for this? Or is there something simple that I am not seeing here...... 
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:42 PM

Answers

1. If Windows Media Player is in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library mode button  to open Library mode.

2. Find the item in your library that you want to rate, and then click one of the stars listed in the Rating column.

One star is the lowest rating. Five stars is the highest rating. To clear a user rating, right-click the item, point to Rate, and then click Unrated.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Foxweed Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:09 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:52 PM

All replies

1. If Windows Media Player is in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library mode button  to open Library mode.

2. Find the item in your library that you want to rate, and then click one of the stars listed in the Rating column.

One star is the lowest rating. Five stars is the highest rating. To clear a user rating, right-click the item, point to Rate, and then click Unrated.

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Foxweed Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:09 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Oh alrighty, thanks a bunch!
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:09 PM
  • In my opinion this is a very strange way to handle with music, you are listening to right now. In WMP 11 there was an option direct in the libary showing "Now Playing" Songs in this nice list view, where you can edit anything such as rating by one click...!
    This is a problem im WMP 12, I think! I don´t want to search für the music I am listening to. ;-)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:49 PM
  • @Hasu: What happens if you click the "Play" tab in the Library view?  You will likely need to adjust the column width of that playlist, much as you would have with WMP11.

As seen there, that functionality is indeed still present. :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Yes, this is right. I can change the rating now. But it is still not possible to change an artists name or the name of a song. I cannot customize the columns, there are no columns :-P
    It could be possible that this is all about getting used to it, but I think that old view was much clearer.

Btw: The columns width is only adjustable to the half of the window, the rest is waisted.
    greetings Hasu0bs
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:08 PM
  • How about changing the star rating for photos?  In Vista I could change this directly in the Windows built in photo viewer (forgot exactly what it's called), but in Windows 7 this seems to have disappeared.  The star ratings are useless if I can't edit them.  And my entire photo editing process is also blown.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:49 AM