none
Can't get Comcast to unlock premium channels with ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner running Win7 Media Center

Question

• HD channels and regular channels work with CableCard installed by Comcast.  They were clueless.  Have tried to have signal sent three times but premium channels will not unlock.  Any suggestions?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:08 AM

Answers

• If I read that right, the 'regular' digital-tier channels (100 and up) work correctly, but, say, your sports pack / movie pack / etc channels get a "subscription required" error?
    If that's right, the problem is on Comcast's end.  if the CableCARD itself isn't authorized for channel <whatever>, it'll throw that error.  You need to talk to someone at your local office who really knows how to provision it (this is a provisioning issue), and that person will likely need to re-build your account (their problem, not yours.)  It happens.

I wish I could explain it better; but, I'm lacking in words for the data in my head.  Sorry.  :(

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, March 22, 2010 6:50 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if any software came with  ATI TV Wonder Tuner. If so, does it play the premium channels? If not, as Chris mentioned, it should be the Comcast's end problem. Please contact them directly.

In addition, the following thread also disscusses this issue. According to the posts of a Media Center SE Tim Schreck. They've noticed that this issue is trending and have started investigating:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/84382.aspx?PageIndex=1

If it is the case, you may need to wait for an update from Comcast or Windows Media Center side.

At this time, you can try resetting Windows Media Center as below:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
    2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
    3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note:  You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

Hope it helps!

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:32 AM

All replies

• If I read that right, the 'regular' digital-tier channels (100 and up) work correctly, but, say, your sports pack / movie pack / etc channels get a "subscription required" error?
    If that's right, the problem is on Comcast's end.  if the CableCARD itself isn't authorized for channel <whatever>, it'll throw that error.  You need to talk to someone at your local office who really knows how to provision it (this is a provisioning issue), and that person will likely need to re-build your account (their problem, not yours.)  It happens.

I wish I could explain it better; but, I'm lacking in words for the data in my head.  Sorry.  :(

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if any software came with  ATI TV Wonder Tuner. If so, does it play the premium channels? If not, as Chris mentioned, it should be the Comcast's end problem. Please contact them directly.

In addition, the following thread also disscusses this issue. According to the posts of a Media Center SE Tim Schreck. They've noticed that this issue is trending and have started investigating:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/84382.aspx?PageIndex=1

If it is the case, you may need to wait for an update from Comcast or Windows Media Center side.

At this time, you can try resetting Windows Media Center as below:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
    2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
    3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note:  You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

Hope it helps!

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Vivian, no software comes with an ATI Digital Cable Wonder.  Bundled software (a TV/PVR app) isn't possible for an OCUR - since Media Center for Vista and Win7 are the only CableLabs-certified TV/PVR apps, "bundled software" isn't possible.  ;)

John, a few things I should have asked earlier:
    - you did run to completion the Digital Cable Advisor (in the Extras menu) for Media Center, yes?  One thing that is often overlooked:  when you run the DCA, you can't have Media Center full-screen, as you'll need to OK a prompt or two (IIRC, a UAC prompt, and possibly an app-install prompt) outside of MC.  If that step isn't done, it won't actually do the configuration changes that enable the tuner.
    - the DCT is configured as a Digital Cable tuner, yes?
    - with the CableCARD inserted, you're still able to tune your regular (non-premium) cable channels with that tuner, yes?  Any other tuners in the system?
    I know that you said you could; however, if you also have an analog/QAM tuner in the computer, it'll typically have a higher priority for all channels that it can tune (leaving the DCT unused for those channels.)

-Chris

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:49 AM
  • John, have you resolved the comcast tv box setup

since Comcast switched to digital I have a 5 inch black box connected to an HP USB hybrid tuner.

cannot get windows media center to detect a signal

any suggestions>

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:56 AM
  • bpr325: it looks like nobody here knows an answer (myself included). I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some WMC experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, August 26, 2011 6:14 PM
  • A USB hybrid tuner is not an ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner for cable cards.
    The DTA (5 inch box) converts digital to analog and that is not what you want
    for connectivity. You need to figure out how to get an analog signal to work
    with this HP tuner. Model number would help. The folks on Experts can help you
    with this.

Or better, get a regular digital set top box and not a digital tuner adapter
    (DTA). Not free, but better image.

And do visit
    and post the info on the exact model tuner, etc. for help on reconfiguring it.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:56:52 +0000, bpr325 wrote:

>
    >
    >John, have you resolved the comcast tv box setup
    >
    >since Comcast switched to digital I have a 5 inch black box connected to an HP USB hybrid tuner.
    >
    >cannot get windows media center to detect a signal
    >
    >any suggestions>

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Tim, Thankyou for responding. Let me know if this works for you. It works for me with vista and win7 on anHP USB tuner

Answer for the Comcast 5 inch box lies in the Windows Media Center unfriendly setup! The box can be set to output on channel 3 or 4. However the WMC default is channel 2. See

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoSettings]
    "DefaultChannel"="2"

the following outlines the steps: needs to be rewritten to separate use of only WMC install and regedit.

1 Quickest way to install a USB hybrid tv tuner is to start with a fresh WMC by uninstalling

contol panel => programs and features => turn features on/off => media features => WMC reboot

after start up turn it back on. another re-boot

2 start WMC (win key + alt + enter)

select extras => extras gallery => digital cable advisor (shown as a coax cable)

select task => settings => either tv or general => WMC setup

3 proceed with the usual set but because the default is channel 2 a scan will always fail. NO SIGNAL DETECTED. Canceal the scan and set up your local cable provider for your zip code. for the comcast 5 inch box it will be digital!

4 it's best to setup the guide after selecting the provider

5 THE TRICK SEEMS TO BE TO FORCE THE CHANNEL TO 3 OR 4.

in the VideoSettings this is "_tvChannel"="4"  check install progress by using regedit to see if this parameter has been set

a simple way would be to hook the cable (without comcast box) directly into the tuner and let the WMC tv

set find the few tv stations 2 to 13.  select guide and the local 4 here in tucson it's KVOA and it will connect and show your setup has worked

reconnect the cable =>box => tuner 

play WMC live tv

Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Barb B,

Following is in response to your Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:12 AM post. I appreciate tour comments. Bernie

the 5 inch black comcast box is now needed for digital cable tv. I have called comcast and they have told me the output is analog on one call and digital on another call.
    the converter is an HP USB Hybrid Tuner model KS523AA#ABA. when you load the Hauppauge drivers SP20408 the device manager shows 3 entries under HP digital/analog tv tuner: audio, analog and digital. still don't know if the box output is analog or digital. The point here is that (A) without the box the output is tv channels 2 to 13 and (B) with the box the output is for all tv non-premium tv channels. the tv guide shows only channels under 100 but I know I get all the non-premium tv channels.
    my post that follows yours shows one way to change the defaultchannel[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoSettings]
    "DefaultChannel"="2".  IS THIS THE REASON WMC TV SETUP FAILS TO DETECT SIGNALS?
    maybe I could have used regedit to change the default to one of the box outputs 3 or 4? would still need to use windows media center tv setup to get the other parameters?  setting up (A) first gets the proper paramters for the videosettings and the guide. selecting channel 3 or 4 from the guide then allows switching the coax cables with the box (B) to get all channels.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Barb B, I have posted the outlined solution on green button under "TV signal not detected". B
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:11 PM
  • yup. saw that you did that.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 16:11:10 +0000, bpr325 wrote:

> I have posted the outlined solution on green button under "TV signal not detected"

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Tim, Thankyou for responding. Let me know if this works for you. It works for me with vista and win7 on anHP USB tuner

I wasn't looking for an answer (don't even have a cable tuner). I was just trying to help you by pointing you to a more specialized forum :)

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:25 PM