none
Windows Vista Will Not Load

Question

•  

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium (pre-installed, did not come with a cd)

Whenever I attempt to boot up my laptop, I have two options:

Launch Startup Repair

or
    Start Windows Normally

Whenever I choose either option, it takes me to the Microsoft Corporation black screen with the scrolling green processing bar. I've allowed this screen to "load" for over 30 minutes on each option without any progress.
    The Startup Repair screen never launches itself, and neither does Windows Vista.

I've tried going through safe mode, however it freezes at  \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

Is there anything I can do myself to resolve this?

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:48 AM

Answers

• Monica

I suggest you contact HP support and check to see what recovery options they have configured on the computer.

Some manufacturers will include a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive and even a way to recover your personal data on the system as part of their recovery program.

I really cannot advise you about how to do this, since each manufacturer will have different procedures to follow and access these recovery options.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:02 AM

All replies

• Monica

I suggest you contact HP support and check to see what recovery options they have configured on the computer.

Some manufacturers will include a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive and even a way to recover your personal data on the system as part of their recovery program.

I really cannot advise you about how to do this, since each manufacturer will have different procedures to follow and access these recovery options.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:02 AM
  • I have the same exact problem.  Did you find a solution?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:36 AM
  • I also have this problem. Problem began after downloading Vista updates.     NOTHING works including system recovery.  It is not even possible to restore factory settings..  This is all on a Sony laptop only 6 weeks old.

Does anybody have a solution that works to restore the operating system to normal functionality?  Or perhaps Microsoft would like to send all of us discs to reinstall??

Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Therese

ThereseOliver wrote:

I also have this problem. Problem began after downloading Vista updates.     NOTHING works including system recovery.  It is not even possible to restore factory settings..  This is all on a Sony laptop only 6 weeks old.

Does anybody have a solution that works to restore the operating system to normal functionality?  Or perhaps Microsoft would like to send all of us discs to reinstall??

When you purchase a computer that has any operating system, pre-installed, the manufacturer of that system is responsible for the support. You need to contact the computer manufacturer to find out what recovery options were included when the system was installed.

However, if you feel that this particular problem was the result of installing a Windows Update, Microsoft does provide free support for these instances. Use the following link to access this free support.

Windows Update No-Charge, Unlimited Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, July 28, 2008 2:38 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.  In my case, it's a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium.  Please let me know if you find out how to resolve.

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:39 AM
  • Rvaneeuwijk

If you are having the exact problem as others in this discussion, there is information in the previous messages about how to proceed.

Look at the previous messages in this thread.

Thanks,

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 04, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue on the HP DV6000 by logging into safe mode and disabling the Firewire 1394 device in the device manager.  I guess Windows Update installs an incompatible driver after a fresh restore of Windows Vista.  The laptop ran great for a couple of days, then after some updates it would hang on the crcdisk.sys file.  I haven't tried re-enabling the firewire port yet but just thought I would share my solution.  Good luck!
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:29 AM
  • ii want this
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:06 AM