none
Windows 8 Start Screen does not minimize

Question

• I can't figure this out, has been an issue since I've installed Windows 8 a month ago.  At the start screen, clicking on the minimize button at lower right corner of screen does nothing; using control key shortcut to minimize does nothing.  But if I'm in the Store, for example, I am able to minimize that screen.

The reason I want to minimize the start screen is so I can create different groups, (plus I just want it to work like everyone else's).  Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:52 PM

Answers

• Wondering if I should reinstall.

try the refresh first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

In addition, please also check if other users on this Windows 8 computer meet the same issue.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:29 AM

All replies

• you can't minimize or close the start screen like the desktop in older Windows versions. TO go away from it, run an app or go to the desktop.

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Sorry if I'm not clear.  By minimizing the start screen, it shows a "mini" view of the screen, where you can then create groups for your applications.  I did this while in a Fry's store playing with their computers on display.

For some reason,  my Windows 8 at home will not do this.  Try it, yours might work.

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:13 AM
  • ok, you mean the Semantic Zoom:

Click on the bottom right side, there is a small "-" icon:

(Picture source: http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=44)

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:25 AM
    Answerer
  • At the start screen, clicking on the minimize button at lower right corner of screen does nothing;

using control key shortcut to minimize does nothing.

It actually needs to be more than just "using Ctrl key".   E.g.  Ctrl+{rolling Mouse Wheel backwards}  or  Ctrl+- (Ctrl and - pressed at the same time.)    Or if you have Multi-Touch (including Multi-Touch gestures enabled on a Touchpad) use a two-point pinch.

So, if none of those work, try to find out the scope of your symptom.   E.g. is there any aspect of Semantic Zoom working for you?   Test (from the Start Screen):  press Win-Z, Enter  and then use any of the Minimize commands that we have just tried.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Thanks.  I had tried all those shortcuts (sorry I'm not thorough in my explanations, when I earlier mentioned control key shortcut, I had used it with minus key).  Tried everything you mentioned, nothing works at all.  As mentioned earlier, clicking on the "-" icon does nothing to my screen (other than it blinking), I do not get the second screen shot that was posted above.

The semantic zoom does work, however, in those apps that have a "-" icon.  It just won't work on the start screen for some reason.

Wondering if I should reinstall.

• Edited by MikeC33 Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:04 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Wondering if I should reinstall.

try the refresh first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

In addition, please also check if other users on this Windows 8 computer meet the same issue.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:29 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Semantic zoom works on most every other screen but the Start Screen.  After my initial install, the Semantic Zoom worked on the Start Screen, then after a recent Refresh it stopped working.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Same issue here,anybody help me out?
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Same issue here
    If you use ConstantGuard too you now have a choice.  See the linked thread for an update.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:35 PM