none
Possible to turn off auto-refresh in Windows Explorer?

All replies

• Hi,

We cannot disable the auto-sort behavior. Since you need to put a new folder in the bottom, you may change the sorting options. Please:

1. Right-click in the window, choose Sort by->More.
    2. Only check Date Created in the list.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Unfortunately Date Created does no good in my case because I am unzipping files from customers sometimes a few days old (or more). The original created date is retained and they get mixed up with all the old stuff. I have to stop and pay attention to each of the filenames and then be sure to get every last one. It's quite annoying.

Besides, if auto-sort really is forced behavior, why does Refresh still exist on the View menu?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 3:42 PM
  • If you extract the files into root direction such as C:\ or D:\, it would not sort until you refresh. However, if you create a folder or file any sub directories, it will automatically sort without manual refresh.

Since you extract files from a zip, I suggest you re-sort the entries by "Date Modified" after extracting instead of "Date Created".

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:48 AM
  • If you extract the files into root direction such as C:\ or D:\, it would not sort until you refresh. However, if you create a folder or file any sub directories, it will automatically sort without manual refresh.

That makes perfect sense.

Since you extract files from a zip, I suggest you re-sort the entries by "Date Modified" after extracting instead of "Date Created".

Arthur Xie - MSFT

Nope. Maybe it's the program being used to create the zip, but I've tried multiple programs to extract them and some have the original Date Created and Date Modified.

I and others find this one of the most annoying features of Mac Finder, and now it seems to have infected the thinking of Microsoft as well.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:11 AM
  • I can't belive that there is absolutely no way to disable this feature or to make it optional? Personally i find it's extremely annoying that windows imposes its will on me and doesn't let me do it the way it works best for me :(
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:24 AM
  • In fact, for me, this is one of the most stupid changes made to Windows Explorer.
    And not beeing able to turn it off, when LOTS of people are asking for it, just show how interested is Microsoft in customers feedback.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:13 AM
  • PLEASE fix this problem in Windows at some point!

I was thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 but if you still can't disable the auto-sort then I'll stick with XP for another generation. That one huge problem made me switch from Vista back to XP too.

I'm just really worried that one day companies will drop all support for XP, and Microsoft still won't have sorted out these file browser issues.

Just let us disable the auto-sorting. Please. It's essential to everything I do. I need new files to NOT get jumbled up with all the others until I say so.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Wow, I came here thinking that there would be an easy fix...  At least a regedit fix or something.  I cannot believe that there is NO WAY to fix this problem, and that Microsoft hasn't had the foresight to address this.

I use XP, and was thinking of upgrading to 7, but after trying it at my brother's house I immediately noticed this flaw.  So I will NOT be upgrading to 7 unless this issue gets fixed.

Ironically, Windows 7 is supposed to be the OS where Microsoft was listening to its customers - yeah right !
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I can't wait to see the reactions who've come to Windows 7 from XP. Vista wasn't hated without a reason and Windows 7 is just Vista with SOME annoyances gone, but LOTS persist.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:19 PM
  • I'd be glad if this auto sorting would be at least PERSISTENT, so you know what behaviour you should expect.

Some times when you drop files in a folder (drag n drop, strg+v etc), it get's sorted automatically. But sometimes they just get attached to the file list (as last items) so you have to hit F5 to sort. Another Explorer bug to add to the list.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I also cannot believe that there is no way to turn this off.  I was very frustrated with Vista because of this issue, and am unhappy with 7 for the same reason. 

PLEASE make this an optional sort criteria.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Same here. This auto-sorting thing is really annoying..... And please give us a way too put as many lines in 7 explorer than in XP explorer.. That's waaaay too much blank lines.... I don't see the point, it only makes searching for a file longer....
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:47 AM
  • I've been trying to adapt to auto sorting for a while now, but more often than not it disrupts my workflow, forcing me to hunt for files that I'm not done working with. Auto sorting also seems to cause unnecessary delays whenever a change occurs in folders with numerous large files (I have a reasonably fast SSD and Core i7).

Ideally, the file list wouldn't re-sort until I manually refresh, or until I navigate to another folder and come back. The option to disable auto sorting would be much appreciated.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Am back on XP. Enough of auto sort non-sense!!!!!
    Anonymuos
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:11 AM
  • This complaint has been floating around the web for a long while now with no response from Microsoft that I'm aware of.  Some developer thought s/he was real smart when s/he authored this "feature" and it has caused nothing but headaches for most everybody.  This is the stuff that happens when the developers are too far removed from the actual users.  Evidently Microsoft really doesn't care how it impacts their users since they won't even acknowledge the issue or provide any guidance whatsoever.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:20 PM
  • yes, annoying like ____. Every time you unrar an archive, the new folder jumps away and you have to search for it among all the files /folders in a directory. What the ____ is this, seek and hide? I am too old and too tired for these childish games!
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:52 PM
  • What's the status of this? IS SERVICE PACK GOING TO ALLOW DISABLING AUTO REFRESH (AND THEREFORE AUTO SORTING) OR NOT, MICROSOFT?
    Anonymuos
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:36 AM
  • This is funny.  Maybe we should swap notebooks.  I am trying to find a way to turn auto refresh ON !  :-)

Windows 7

frustrated
    Friday, June 04, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Yeah... This is a pretty silly example of "we know more about how you want to use your PC than you do."

To avoid auto-sort, you'll have to use a third-party file manager. I use a dual-pane manager called xplorer2. There's a free version available. I don't think MS wants me to post a link to it here, but it's easily Googled.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:34 AM
  • Too bad the current builds of SP1 address zero problems in Explorer. Forget auto sort ever getting fixed.
    Anonymuos
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:57 AM
  • But you can enable auto-sort in Windows Explorer by yourself.

Finally got to try this out on a machine.

Sadly it only goes a tiny way to fixing the problem. Yes, when I create a new file using New > Text Document it stays put until I refresh, and yes when I move files into a folder they stay put too. So far so good...

BUT when I rar files, the new rar disappears and gets mixed in alphabetically all on its own. And when I unrar files, they don't show up at all, until a manual refresh where they are - yep you guessed it - mixed in with all the other files alphabetically.

Please, shoot me now :(

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:04 AM
  • But you can enable auto-sort in Windows Explorer by yourself.
    when I create a new file using New > Text Document it stays put until I refresh
    I love how they left in the ability to refresh. Schizofrenia?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:30 AM
  • As i said here : http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/a3ac307e-ec03-4303-81c0-aac31887d5bd

Here is an horrible but working (for me!) solution : Share the folder !

Open C: properties

Go to "Sharing" click "Advanced Sharing"

Check "Share this folder", click "Permision"

Chose the person who can access the folder (I select "Everyone")

Give him "Full Control"

OK, OK

Copy drive "Network Path"

OK

Create a new shortcut (for exemple on desktop, right click, new, shortcut)

Paste the path

OK, OK

Now you can access C: via this shortcut, and it won't autorefresh !

Repeat operation for other drives/folders as you want.

I do it after disableing auto arrange, but it should work even if you haven't make this change.

Note that you can't acces drive properties using the shortcut (you will have neywork propeties instead)

PS : sorry for my english, i'm french...(and I'm not sure options and buttons names I used in this solution are correct)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Well Service Pack 1 Release Candidate is out and I don't see this blocking problem fixed in it. Working with files is impossible without auto sort and auto arrange turned off. I have formatted and gone back to Windows XP SP3. No problem with that OS.

Microsoft can't take any action or notice but I definitely can.

If Microsoft continues with this dumbing down, we know what's best for you trend of destroying working features, I smell a lawsuit in the not so distant future.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:20 AM
  • I came directly from WinXP to Win7 and now find that while renaming ALL the files in a folder that I have to wait 1-3 seconds between each so as not to have the entire filename selected again after I had already got the cursor where I wanted it to add to the file name. now my work takes 2-4 times along to complete when doing this task, PLEASE PLEASE allow us to turn off autrefresh and auto sort in some fashion, respond to this thread with a regfix or an ETA or something, just show that you at least want to make my money again on your next release or I may just find myself using linux for the rest of my life.

removed my previous edit comment since I proved to myself the idea would nmot work
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I agree, this is sbsolutely insane… this has to be some sort of joke.  When I paste a file into a folder or if I unpack a zip, rar, or 7Z file, all files should be appended to the end of the file list in a folder just.  Why would MS force this auto-sort ____ on us customers?  I paint a mental picture in my head of the “brilliant” engineer that thought this was a good thing for us and want to say “hey dummy”…

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Yes - the solution is easy. Find a cd with windows xp on it, format your harddrive and install xp. Not only will you be able to see files added to your folder, you will also get a decent operating system to boot !

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:24 AM
  • >> Why would MS force this auto-sort on us customers ?

because you let them. if you go buy machines from the shop with windows vista / windows 7 on, what reason is there for microsoft to stop doing everything wrong ? nothing. the buyers of any hardware with the new operating system are responsible for vista/7 being so crap. get a grip guys and stop whining.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:36 AM
  • >> Why would MS force this auto-sort on us customers ?

because you let them. if you go buy machines from the shop with windows vista / windows 7 on, what reason is there for microsoft to stop doing everything wrong ? nothing. the buyers of any hardware with the new operating system are responsible for vista/7 being so crap. get a grip guys and stop whining.

By your logic, we should all stop having children, because children can be annoying. We should all stop eating food, because it sometime upsets our stomach, etc...

Btw, Microsoft, this auto-sort "feature" is the single most annoying thing in my life right now, it is making my win7 experience painful whenever I try to use explorer. Seriously, just let us have a way to disable it, PLEASE. Not even the new FF4 "switch to tab" feature is as painful as this one. Why would you guys force an interface change on us without anyway to disable it? this is totally mind boggling.

Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Any update on this extremely annoying issue? Is Microsoft even listening how auto sorting/refreshing items the moment they are renamed or created mixes things up? Is Windows 8 going to fix this or will I be forever stuck with XP?
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Well I just emaled Steven Sinofsky and he replied that MS had no intention of turning off auto refresh and auto arrange in Windows 8, the next version of Windows. I guess I will be stuck with XP till 2014, then move on to Ubuntu or Debian Linux.

Anonymuos
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I have to agree with everyone else. This "feature" is not really helpful at all. It takes me longer to rename files now. I don't need Windows to automatically refresh Explorer every time I change a file name. That is what the F5 key is for.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by codster Saturday, October 08, 2011 12:13 PM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:17 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:46 AM
  • The way I see it is that there are 2 people to blame for this debacle. The asshole that thought auto-sort-refresh was a great idea and the latest wonder of all mankind. And... the absolute total asshole that signed off on it!
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Please voice your support in this thread if you want this fixed in Windows 8: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/27314d0a-9c70-4b79-93e7-23fe60e7e374

Will they give us a free upgrade to have a decent operative system?

• Edited by Mario_7 Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:46 PM
  • hi , pardigon ,

thanks  this worked for me also,

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Will they give us a free upgrade to have a decent operative system?

That decent operating system is called Windows XP because Microsoft is not interested in fixing this annoyance in Vista or 7 or 8. It's "by design" and it is beyond their understanding that this design is extremely annoying and makes file management difficult. Or you can vote here for it to be fixed: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:59 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:17 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:10 PM