none
Windows Media Player Error-Install DVD playback device

Question

• Hi,
    From time to time I use to troubleshoot my PC, performance,system maintenance , today was the first time when I ran Windows Media Player DVD and surprise...is asking me to Install DVD playback device.
    If I insert a DVD Windows Media Player opens and plays automaticaly.
    Any suggestion about?

P.S.: WMP installed and reinstalled already. 
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What’s the current situation?

The In-Place upgrade will not remove any data from the current operating system. But I still suggest you backup all the important files to avoid the data loss in case.

In-place Upgrade

============

1.    Start the computer.

2.    Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3.    Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a.     If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b.     If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4.    When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT

Hi Arthur Li,
    Have you any ideea the way I sloved the issue?Changed the device:).
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may test the issue in Clean Boot first.

If the issue reoccurs, you may also refer to the following link to perform the troubleshooting suggestions manually to check the issue.

Note: The Microsoft Fix it tool is incompatible with Windows 7, so you need to perform the steps manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing?

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:55 AM
  •   Hi Arthur Li,
    Thanks for your reply,
    The issue is not related with the h/w installation, in the best case could be an error of the troubleshooter::)), as the DVD playback device is fully functional including in WMP, I've reinstalled WMP but as we both know installs it again from scratch.
    But also can be a detection error which means not all devices working at the corect parameters.
    Find bellow the screen shot:

http://cid-824e0e16cf65ba8c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Regards
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

DVD playback devices include DVD Drive, Display Devices and Speakers. I suggest you also update the BIOS, the display card driver and the audio card driver to check the issue.

If you have any third party DVD playback software installed, I also suggest you temporarily uninstall them to test the issue.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

DVD playback devices include DVD Drive, Display Devices and Speakers. I suggest you also update the BIOS, the display card driver and the audio card driver to check the issue.

If you have any third party DVD playback software installed, I also suggest you temporarily uninstall them to test the issue.

Arthur Li - MSFT

Hi Arthur Li,
    That's something that I didn't take in consideration before posting this thread, had no ideea the DVD playback devices include Dispaly.
    The DVD drive is ok fully functional, detected, autoplay also runs at the normal parameters, about speakers all I can tell you I deleted the installed or provided drivers (was producing an annoying poping noise in WMC) and reinstalled the Windows 7 AC'97 full setup driver downloaded from Realtek which during the installation had a sort of signature problem and continued the installation but I use to disable driver signature enforcement before boot.
    About Display...it runs the only driver available for Vista and also with signature problem.
    BIOS...there's an update but not provided by manufacturer detected by phoenix driver agent?Do you consider I should proceed with the update?
    In Clean Boot the same issue...afterwards the same drivers, the same BIOS version.
    DVD playback 3rd party software I do have something related as Cyberlink most of burner,P.P. and P.D. but I don't see the way would affect the playback issues or detection as WMC is built on or uses Cyberlink technology.
    Regards   
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Yes, I do suggest you also update the BIOS and temporarily uninstall the Cyberlink to check the issue.

If it still cannot work, you may also run System File Checker to check the system files.

If the issue persists, you may need to perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Yes, I do suggest you also update the BIOS and temporarily uninstall the Cyberlink to check the issue.

If it still cannot work, you may also run System File Checker to check the system files.

If the issue persists, you may need to perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

Arthur Li - MSFT

Thanks Arthur Li,
    I'll give it a try; sfc use to run each 2nd day due to the installation of 2 most important drivers (video&sound) with signature problems.
    An In-Place upgrade means that is going to re-write the O.S. files over the old ones or is going to create .cab files from the old ones and write again from scratch the OS files.
    If you associated the graphic driver with the DVD playback device, I suspect that WMC is the problem (probably WMC checks and reports the graphic,sound and optic device status) as its functionality is correct only when is set to high resolution 1440x...in its window the TV screen on my notebook shows as croped image in a corner at a resolution of 800x...or something like so.
    Regards  
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

The In-Place upgrade will not remove any data from the current operating system. But I still suggest you backup all the important files to avoid the data loss in case.

In-place Upgrade

============

a.     If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4.    When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Hi,

In-place Upgrade

============

b2. Click Install now.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT

Hi Arthur Li,
    Have you any ideea the way I sloved the issue?Changed the device:).
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:14 PM