Cannot restore my data from Windows Easy Transfer

Question

• I have some problem, i have use the Windows Easy Transfer to backup my data from Vista RC1, after i format my hardisk to install the Vista again, but i cannot restore my data, please help

I used the Windows Easy Transfer have the error message:

The store you selected was saveed in an incompatible language. Windows Easy Transfer cannot apply the data.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 4:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

This issue can occur if you use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer date between two systems in different languages.

Please understand that the Windows Easy Transfer can only transfer files and settings between two systems in the same language.

If you would like to transfer data to a system in a different language, you may try third-party file transfer tools, such as Laplink FileMover:

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=&aid=6925&scid=0

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

As we know, we can only transfer data from a Windows-based computer to a Vista-based computer. We can use Windows Easy Transfer to restore all or parts of the data in SaveData.MIG to a Windows Vista computer. However, we cannot open the SaveData.MIG file or retrieve its data on a non Vista-based computer as the destination system must be a Vista-based computer. This is by design.

As Windows Easy Transfer can only transfer files and settings, Microsoft is now developing a program - Windows Easy Transfer Companion to enable us to transfer programs. It can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=39f724eb-4e37-4be0-adfc-786786e73e50&displaylang=en

Note: Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US market.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you find any issue ?

I have the same problem. Someone can help us ?

brgds,

Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:22 PM
  • I have a similar problem. I tried to transfer my data from an English XP to my German Vista Ultimate (Final version no RC!)
    Any work around available? Right now I try to find out how to install the English language Packs hopefully that works.

TIA
    Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:36 AM
  • The language versions must match!

English to German or vice versa is not possible. If you have Multilanguage version, consider it as English.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:59 PM
  • The reason you cannot restore your store is because Windows Easy Transfer supports the migration of data/settings from one base language to the same base language.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 5:47 AM
  • Muchachos de microsoft, no improvisen mas!! La gente labura con sus Sistemas Operativos, nos hacen perder mucho tiempo!! A ver si aplican un Easy Transfer multilenguaje. 

Microsofts Guys, no more improvisation!!! People use your SO for work, we lost a lot of time!! Please do a multilanguage Easy Transfer.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:42 PM
  •  Cocot wrote:

Muchachos de microsoft, no improvisen mas!! La gente labura con sus Sistemas Operativos, nos hacen perder mucho tiempo!! A ver si aplican un Easy Transfer multilenguaje. 

Microsofts Guys, no more improvisation!!! People use your SO for work, we lost a lot of time!! Please do a multilanguage Easy Transfer.

I have exactly same problem mentined here before.

Anyone know how to take at least some files out from easy transfer compressed file_

Please help who knows ? 

All my important data is in that file >>  pictures, music, personal documents.

I have Acer idea500 with Xp Mediacenter (FInnish) Made the Easy tranfer file from that to USB HDD.

Then I made fresh Vista Ultimate (Finnish)  install to that Acer Meadiacenter idea500.

After that tried to Restore from that Easy transfer file and I got same error message.

Br Ismo

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

This issue can occur if you use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer date between two systems in different languages.

Please understand that the Windows Easy Transfer can only transfer files and settings between two systems in the same language.

If you would like to transfer data to a system in a different language, you may try third-party file transfer tools, such as Laplink FileMover:

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=&aid=6925&scid=0

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

As we know, we can only transfer data from a Windows-based computer to a Vista-based computer. We can use Windows Easy Transfer to restore all or parts of the data in SaveData.MIG to a Windows Vista computer. However, we cannot open the SaveData.MIG file or retrieve its data on a non Vista-based computer as the destination system must be a Vista-based computer. This is by design.

As Windows Easy Transfer can only transfer files and settings, Microsoft is now developing a program - Windows Easy Transfer Companion to enable us to transfer programs. It can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=39f724eb-4e37-4be0-adfc-786786e73e50&displaylang=en

Note: Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US market.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:17 AM
  • Tim, the easy Transfer Companion sounds great but it does not provide a way to open an existing Easy Transfer .MIG file. When I used it to backup my system from a Dutch Vista it was not obvious that it would not restore onto an English Vista,;both languages were supplied on the same System Recovery Disk. Please add a large warning about the restore limitations to the Easy Transfer application so that other users do not have the same issues. Fortunately, I had another backup of my data.

Is .MIG a proprietary file format or is it possible to open it with existing archive tools?

If it is a proprietary format can you provide a MIGViewer utility so we can open it and extract just the files that we need? If it can be opened with existing archive utilities please explain how.

Perhaps the Easy Transfer application can be changed so that the non-language specific data can be recovered.
    Monday, November 12, 2007 11:41 AM
  • I need to open to the file savedata.mig, all my life is in.  I don’t want the configurations and settings, I only want my documents and archives and it is impossible to extract them from that package. please HELP!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:18 AM
  • Microsoft really needs to give us a way to handle the savedata.mig file. It's not only when there is a language mismatch there are problems. Windows Easy Trasfer is "faulty by design" - as is Vista!! I use most of my workday wiping vista off new pc's and installing XP or Linux. I'm getting bored!!!
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 12:30 AM
  • I am quite desperate.
    Your post doesn't quite hit the mark for myself or some of the other questioners.
    I hope after a couple months since the original question you maybe can help with a better suggestion.
    I'm not transferring from XP to vista.
    My original install of Vista Premium x64 had started to get buggy. I easy transferred my vista to a USB harddrive I had been using regularly as a active partition. It is live and active primary partition drive letter E. NTFS file system.
    I clean installed Vista 64 on my drive c:. I cannot easy transfer the files and settings back. At this point I really don't want the old settings because the old install was getting more and more problematic.
    I saved the file with the same user as the old and pwd. I took ownership. I copied it to a network drive and tried. I cannot restore.
    The transfer says that there was an error and the transfer was cancelled. Pretty near the beginning.
    Perhaps the specifics are different for each of the questioners but the problem is the same.
    I think what's causing part of the problem is that in xp you could pick and choose and restore to a different location.

Help!

ageorge1@otponline.net

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Add me to the list. Easy Transfer Wizard needs to have a big warning that it can't do cross language tranfers!!! My data is tied up in the stupid .MIG file and I can't believe that I can't get it out. Facing a day of restoring the original system and then reinstalling everything back again.

Damn you MS, damn you VISTA and damn your pos EASY TRANSFER WIZARD!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:49 PM
  •  

Add me to the list...

What I don't understand, why to suppress the decent backup software (MsBackup) you had on Windows XP? You had it running, you had it tested, it worked perfectly, many people had backed up data with it...

On my opinion, Windows Easy Transfer is a dangerous tool. It fails to accomplish what it says it does. It didn't for me and many others.

Microsoft *SHUOLD* provide a tool to extract files from the "backup" (sorry if I offend someone calling it a backup, something dependant on the language used it's not). I don't think it would be so difficult. May you make a tool like the old MsBackup to allow people recover their files WITHOUT HAVING TO REINSTALL VISTA WITH ANOTHER LANGUAGE THEY DIDN'T NEED?

I hope I don't offend anyone with the tone of my words, but you can get VERY frustrated after 6 hours reinstalling your PC with office, av, vs2008, utils, domain (dealing with other IT departments), etc., etc, etc, to get the surprise you had to reinstall it to get your files back Sad

We trusted a tool Microsoft. Please Microsoft, give us a solution! A small command-line tool! Shouldn't be so difficult!

Monday, July 07, 2008 11:58 PM
  •  

I don't know why they didn't just make easy transfer and file and settings transfer compatible or similar in function, so it would be easier to back-up and restore files and settings. Personally I really don't care that much about having to re-install stuff. I just want certain files, settings, e-mails, etc backed-up and restored in a quick way, and I like the FASTW worked other than it not automatically backing up favorites and the WMP library
    Friday, July 11, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Add yet another person who has all their important files tied up in the damn savedata.mig file.  I wish I would have found this forum BEFORE I trusted in microsoft's product.  So PO'ed!!!

Any help???
    Friday, August 22, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I got a tool from Microsoft after a couple of months of support with them on the phone.  If you want it let me know.  I hope I do not get in trouble from them but I have it and am willing to help you folks.  Drop me a line at call37_bruce@hotmail.com and we can discuss a form of file transfer.  It comes zipped up and has instructions.  It worked for me and saved ALL of my data!  I am so pumped right now!!!

-bbbruno
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:41 PM
  • hey folks, still giving out the savedata.mig tool I wrote about last year.  saved hundreds of people's stuff so far.  You can still e-mail me or you can just get it at a torrent site here:  http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4405632/Microsoft_SaveData.MIG_Extraction_Tool_for_Windows_Easy_Transfer

Looks like someone went ahead and put it up.  I downloaded it and it's safe.  It's the exact one I got from MS.  Enjoy!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Hey guys, you all can find the extraction tool here, but unfortunately for me is not working.
    http://www.visser.com.au/blog/tag/savedata-mig/

Microsoft needs to do a better job supporting the things they created.
    Not sure where I was with my mind when I decided to use Easy File Transfer...
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:39 PM
  • This is SO not fair!! Ive used all the tools that You guys provided and I still CANT extract my files.. I WILL NEVER USE THIS PROGRAM AGAIN.. Seems I have lost EVERYTHING!!!!!

MerryChristmas!!!!!
    Monday, December 07, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Hi All,

I am a Microsoft employee and this issue came to my attention when a family member recently thought he lost about 100 GB of personal files using Windows Easy Transfer (WET) while upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.  WET doesn't give any error message--it just won't open the file.

The MigRecover utility posted at the link above appears to be an older version of the tool meant for accessing USMT3 files.  The newer WET tool uses a different (USMT4) format, which requires a more recent version of MigRecover to access.  I verified that I receive the same "c:\" prefix error many have mentioned above when using the old USMT3 tool.  Using the newer WET tool resolved that issue and worked great for the 100 GB store I was trying to recover.

Unfortunately for legal reasons I am prohibited from distributing the tool outside of Microsoft, and just to be clear I am not on the team who made the tool (or that supports Windows or WET).  However, the tool may be made available in individual cases where the technical support engineer deems it an appropriate solution for specific scenarios.

HTH,

Scott

• Edited by ScotBrat Friday, December 18, 2009 6:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:55 PM
  • Please, send me me the link for the tool to open the mig file.  I know it is crazy to have so much of your life on a hard drive, but I do and I trusted that I could get it transferred.  I have spent sleepless nights trying to figure out how to extract this data.  Any help is much appreciated.  If you need my email, let me know..

Thanks!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Hi cartracey,

This current thread has drifted somewhat off-topic from the original post above re: the "incompatible language" error message.  The following thread may be more relevant to the issue you are experiencing:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistamigration/thread/e288c1df-e20e-403a-b81f-63ab20377abe

HTH,

Scott

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Evaru perya Laddu Labuku
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I found the solution for this!!

Please click on Start -> C: -> Windows -> Rename the System32 as System32.old and restart the computer.

Everything will work good.

• Edited by Rajakumari Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:47 PM Dubuky
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hi Rajakumari .... please can you help I am unable to restore my data using Windows Easy Transfer

I keep getting an error message 'Windows Easy Transfer cannot open the file' I am at my wits end

as I have really important data backed up on my external hard drive. Thanks and regards,

rebab

Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:47 AM
  • Try this link, there is a tool for USMT4 & 3 (USMT4 for Win7 Easy Transfer)

http://www.visser.com.au/blog/migrecover-for-microsofts-windows-easy-transfer/

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

To be fair, this isn't a backup tool - it's  a settings transfer tool.

You should have a backup in place in addition rather than rely on all your data being in the .MIG / a transfer file.

Even with a backup, you should still have the previous Windows computer to copy data from, so there's really no need to be reliant on WET / MIG.

So, to recap - you should make sure to always have a backup or indeed the original system intact so there no chance of losing your data during a transfer.  These would be sensible, responsible steps regardless of the transfer tool in use, WET or otherwise.

J.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 3:55 PM