none
Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location.

Question

• Hey, 

So I recently bought a desktop with Windows 8 on it (loving it so far!) and I used Easy Transfer/an external hardrive to get my files from my laptop (which runs windows 7) onto here, but now all the music, pictures, etc. I can not access, not even view/hear because it seems I don't have the proper permissions. Help please?

Thanks!

• Edited by Yahoush Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:30 AM more info
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:01 AM

Answers

• Solved it! 
    So if anyone is having this problem, go back to your old PC, where the files originate from, and change the settings there. For Windows 7 you can click "Share With" at the top of the folder/library, and then select "Homegroup (Read/Write)". Once this is done, transfer your files (using Easy Transfer/what ever method) & at the end it asks for the old PC password. Enter it, and it will change the Permission settings for the files. 

Hope this solves your problems as well! :)

• Marked as answer by Yahoush Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:24 AM

All replies

• try this in cmd net user administrator /active:no

Thanks

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:15 AM
  • Solved it! 
    So if anyone is having this problem, go back to your old PC, where the files originate from, and change the settings there. For Windows 7 you can click "Share With" at the top of the folder/library, and then select "Homegroup (Read/Write)". Once this is done, transfer your files (using Easy Transfer/what ever method) & at the end it asks for the old PC password. Enter it, and it will change the Permission settings for the files. 

Hope this solves your problems as well! :)

• Marked as answer by Yahoush Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Thanks for sharing the resolution.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Help!  I'm having the exact same problem but cannot use this solution because my hard drive fried on my old PC running Windows 7.  Luckily, I had backed up my files (music/ pictures/ etc), but there is zero way that I can now access the old computer.

Is there another way/ option to make this work without needing to go back to the old computer?

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:49 AM