none
Recurring updates... Windows Update keeps installing the same updates!

Question

• There are six exactly -

KB2686828
    KB2656369
    KB2656352
    KB2604092
    KB979909
    KB982168

This is a RECENT clean install of WINDOWS XP Home edition, Version 2002, SP3.

I've been reading about this ALL over the interwebs! Whatever is causing this?

Fixes I've tried and that failed:
    A) Installed each one seperately in Safe Mode.  Boot Safe Mode, install one update, reboot safe mode, etc...
    B) net stop wuauserv in the command prompt.  Deleted all of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.  restart wuauserv.  No effect.
    C) WOULD have tried "fixit" but everyone else is saying its useless against this.  
    D) Uninstalled the updates it says is "installed" and reinstalled.  No Effect.
    E) Poured beer into the laptop keyboard.  No Effect.
    F) Drilled a hole into my head and poured beer in there. No Effect.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope....
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:29 AM

All replies

• If the updates are listed as installed, you can ignore them if they repeatedly proposed for installation by Windows Update.
    Anyway, I suggest you to run the Windows Update Automatic Troubleshooter that you find at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/; if the problem persists, reset the Windows Update components: read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 971058.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Hi Luigi,

Thanks for the reply! :)  I actually did try Microsoft Fixit, after I made this post I realized how silly it was that I didn't at least try it.  But alas, to no avail. I will try the reset and see what happens.

Thanks!

Peter

Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Nope that didn't do it.  I'm simply going to hide the updates since they claimed to be installed when I pull up "Add/Remove Programs."

Obviously a glitch on Microsoft's end.  Unless there's another suggestion?

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:42 PM