none
Windows 8 Upgrade, Partition Unallocated

Question

• I have a Seagate 3TB Barracuda XT drive on my Asus P6X58D Premium based system using the Marvell 9123 Sata 3 storage controller.  Running Win 7 Pro x64 I had it divided into a a 2TB partition (Basic) as my C volume and a 1TB partition (Basic) as a spare volume.  Afterer upgrading to Win 8 Pro x64, the 1TB partition is grayed out and marked as "Unallocated".  Disk Management can do nothing more than display "Properties" on this volume, and neither Paragon nor Easus (spelling?) can manipulate this 1TB volume at all. I've been searching the web for more info or others experiencing this issue and have not been successful.  Anyone else encountered this?  I'm stumped.

John

• Edited by JBoy53 Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:04 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try using the ASUS Disk Unlocker software.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by JBoy53 Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:22 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Carey for responding.

Unlocker is supposed to be compatible with my chip set, but it fails to install, I've tried several times.  I get the following message:

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Carey,

Found a newer version of Unlocker, 2.12, in another location that supports Windows 8.  It installed fine.  It's extremely basic, the two options were to recover a virtual disk or create one.  I selected "Create", so it set up the unallocated space from the 3TB drive as a new drive 3 (see image below).  I'm a little unclear as to what actually has occurred in doing this, but it's working fine.  I'll be researching more to better understand what was set up.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:21 PM
  • HI,  I realize this question was answered in 2012, But, I still need an answer now. I do not have an Asus motherboard and when I accessed the AsusDisk Unlocker per the link the warning states to use this ONLY if you have an Asus motherboard.  I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 computer.  I contacted Seagate and the fix they suggested did not work so they said to contact Microsoft... so here I am again looking for the answer.  What do you suggest to fix this problem now in 2014? Any new fixes with Windows 8.1?  Seagates Disc Wizard showed the partitions correctly in Windows 7 Pro and when I upgraded to Windows 8 then to 8.1 the partition with the "1 TB" I named as my "E" drive became the "unallocated" partition.  Thank you for the help.
    Saturday, September 06, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Perhaps you'll get better help if you put up a screenshot of your diskmgmt.msc screen, as the prior user has done.

By the way, the prior user didn't actually do what he thinks he did.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, September 06, 2014 9:33 PM
    Saturday, September 06, 2014 9:33 PM