none
Taskbar icons disappear in Windows 7

Question

• I have recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate.  If I click on the taskbar icon for an open window/application, the window is minimised AND the task bar icon disappears.  I have to use ALT-TAB to find my window again.  It is infuriating.  I have Win 7 at work, and Win Vista on my laptop. In both cases clicking on the taskbar icon will miminise the window, but leave the taskbar icon.  Clicking the icon again will restore the window.  How do I set my Win 7 Ultimate to do the same?
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• You might want to try refreshing the icon cache.

Copy and paste the following statements in a batch file, then execute it as Administrator:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

start explorer

I suggest you create the batch file on the Desktop and execute it there, because you cannot have any Windows Explorer windows open.

Reboot after running it.

Hammer842

• Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:42 AM
    • Edited by Hammer842 Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:31 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:12 PM

All replies

• You might want to try refreshing the icon cache.

Copy and paste the following statements in a batch file, then execute it as Administrator:

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

start explorer

I suggest you create the batch file on the Desktop and execute it there, because you cannot have any Windows Explorer windows open.

Reboot after running it.

Hammer842

• Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:42 AM
    • Edited by Hammer842 Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:31 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Thanks for this  -  it worked!  It has taken a while to say so, because Microsoft forum would not accept my login these past three months!!
    Kevin Alldred
    Monday, January 16, 2012 12:36 PM
  • It worked for me as well!  Nice little script that does the trick.  Didn't even have to reboot!

Thank you Hammer842!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:32 AM
  • I tried this (and it is very similar in approach to same problem that existed in XP) and it of course works straight up, no reboot or log off required.

An important note... in both environments when this works... the first thing that happens immediately afterwards is Adobe Flash updater appears.  I have found over the years that this little annoyance is always Always ALWAYS the cause of system tray and update failure issues.

Adobe always thinks it is king of the os and it is not...

Turn off the adobe updater and the problems magically disappear.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Okay, I see this little trick has helped a lot of people. But for people like me who don't know what "execute" or "batch file"means, it will be appreciated of a step-by-step instruction is provided.

I just bought a new laptop that runs Win 7. I usually have 3-4 programs open (Word, PPT, Explorer, etc) and hate it when I have to look for them by scrolling the taskbar. Why did Microsoft even invent the taskbar scroll?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you could let me know the steps in layman's term.

Thank you!

Sunday, February 02, 2014 6:14 PM
  • I'll do my best!

not_a_computer_techie, I have to make at least a few assumptions, so bear with me.

I'll assume you understand what the "Desktop" is.

Right-click (your mouse) on the Desktop, (left-)click "New", click "Text Document", press "Enter" on the keyboard.

Double-click the new text file you just created (named "New Text Document.txt").

You'll either have to copy the following statements and paste them into the file, or if you don't know how, enter them by typing them in. Obviously, there's less chance of an error if you copy and paste them.

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

start explorer

Now, look at the top left of the window where you just entered or pasted the statements. You should see the words "File", "Edit", ..., "Help". Click "File", click "Exit". It will then ask if you want to save your changes; click "Save".

Change the name of the file from "New Text Document.txt" to "New Text Document.bat" (i.e., change the last three characters from "txt" to "bat") and click "Yes" when prompted.

Right-click "New Text Document.bat", click "Run as Administrator". You must now reboot your computer for the change to take place. Every program that had an icon missing will have the icon restored when the program is run.

I recommend you rename the file from "New Text Document.bat" to "Icon Cache Refresh.bat" and save it somewhere for the next time this happens (and believe me, it will).

Hammer842

• Edited by Hammer842 Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:27 PM
    Sunday, February 02, 2014 6:50 PM