none
My 500Gig External USB Hard Drive not recognized by 64 bit Win 7

Question

• I have 64 bit Windows 7 running and have an WD (Western Digital) External HD that i have been using for the past 4 months on my Win 7 32 Bit laptop. It works fine on 32 bit, but when i connect it to 64 bit Windows 7, Win 7 Fails to recognize it and says "USB Not Recognized". 
    The Disk Management does not show the External Disk At all.
    There are no Letter Conflicts between Laptop Drive and The External Drive Partitions.
    I have updated using Windows Update, nad have installed the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944292 but in Vain. 

THe Drive is Working fine, its a Win 7 64 Bit Problem. Please suggest a fix for this so that My External Drive can work. 

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do your HDs need extra power supply when you connect it to your machine?

As you can find a Unknown Device in the Device manager, your trouble should be caused by the driver, or the faulty USB port.

Please connect your HDs via another ports as a test. In addition, you'd better to apply the latest Chipset driver from the Acer offical website according to your system version:

http://support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx

After that, test again. If they are still fail be recongized, please try the following steps to reinstall USB controllers with the Keyboard:

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu. 
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

After that, please test again.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 22, 2010 9:17 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:54 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to test a flash drive on your machine?

It's better to update your Chipset driver for your machine first. In addition, you can apply the hotfix for your machine although your hard drive is not recongized, you can download it from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Good luck!

John
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Hello John,
    Thank you for replying :)

I have tried an 8gb flash drive, and it works fine. Have also tried 4gb stick which works fine too.I have also already run that Hotfix 398067 and still no luck.

I have an Acer 5740-6378, and have run the Acer updater to see if there are any chipset drivers i am missing, all comes clean, nothing is needed according to them.

Any other suggestions please... its getting really frustrating having a HD in your hand and not being able to access it.

Error i get is " USB Device Not Recognized" One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.  whereas it shows it as "Unknown Device" under the "Generic USB Hub"

Disk Management also does not show it there.
    • Edited by Mmkay Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:31 AM more details added
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Adding on the above advise, have you try swapping to another external usb case or remove the usb external case and plug the hd directly to the motherboard itself?
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Hello Dainel, yes have done that, and the HD works fine. I have installed a Win 7 copy on it and it picks up and works just normal. its external Device that is not working.
    I also have another HD which is doing the same, its 160GB and it too works fine when connected by USB to 32bit Windows, but at 64bit windows, it gives the same error.

I have also reinstalled the 64 bit windows just in case it was a error installation, but problem persists.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Do your HDs need extra power supply when you connect it to your machine?

As you can find a Unknown Device in the Device manager, your trouble should be caused by the driver, or the faulty USB port.

Please connect your HDs via another ports as a test. In addition, you'd better to apply the latest Chipset driver from the Acer offical website according to your system version:

http://support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx

After that, test again. If they are still fail be recongized, please try the following steps to reinstall USB controllers with the Keyboard:

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu. 
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

After that, please test again.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 22, 2010 9:17 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I have 64 bit Windows 7 running and have an WD (Western Digital) External HD that i have been using for the past 4 months on my Win 7 32 Bit laptop. It works fine on 32 bit, but when i connect it to 64 bit Windows 7, Win 7 Fails to recognize it and says "USB Not Recognized". 
    The Disk Management does not show the External Disk At all.
    There are no Letter Conflicts between Laptop Drive and The External Drive Partitions.
    I have updated using Windows Update, nad have installed the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944292 but in Vain. 

THe Drive is Working fine, its a Win 7 64 Bit Problem. Please suggest a fix for this so that My External Drive can work. 

Same problem here but Shintaro enclosure & Seagate HD. It works fine in XP mode & under Linux but not in Win7 64bit.

• Proposed as answer by daveman6 Monday, September 06, 2010 9:10 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:44 AM
  • I have a 120 gig maxtor ide drive hooked into my Win 7 64 system thru an Ultra usb hard drive case, and it works fine.  Only thing is, I'm in the middle of a big download, and I want to safely shut it down and temporarily swap out the drive with another and Win7 won't give me the 'safely remove' option..  Windows 7 recognized the drive when I put it on.  This might sound like a dumb question but have you all tried plugging it in after boot, AND plugging it in with the power on before boot?  If so and it didn't work either time, it's beyond me.. I didn't need any drivers or anything. 

Did you change the drive letter of your optical drive to make room for the drive letters?  Mine was partitioned about 8 ways, as is my HD on the system so I moved the DVD drive letter down to Y.  Don't know if that had any effect because I never tried it without ..Doubt that has any effect, but it can't hurt to try.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:31 PM
  • I also have 64BIT Win7 and have a WD External Drive (1.5 Terabye) external that I had been using for a month on my desktop system for weekly backups.  Recently, I did some Windows updates and a new restore, and then coincidently my WD drive would not be recognized.  I could see it under Device Manager, but not in the "My Computer" window.  When I went to Device Manager, it was disabled.  Enable device did not work, after repeatedly trying the HD.  Rebooting, even wiping the drive on my laptop with a new format did no good for my desktop.  I also tried to update drivers, but the desktop stated latest drivers were being used.  Answer: Next, I deleted the device in Device Manager, then re-inserted the HD back into the mini-USB cable to be recognized again by Win7, and wallah..  it now sees my HD in all areas, including Disk Management, My Computer, and Device Manager.  I am still not sure why the drive was disabled but it was until I deleted it in Device Manager.  I hope that helps someone.  I spent hours looking on the web for answers, but eventually this worked for me.   I doubt I needed to reformat either now, so keep your data folks before doing drastic stuff I guess.   Hope this helps..

Monday, September 06, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Daveman6. I've spend hours reading through the forums trying to resolve my external HD issue. When you mentioned that all three areas: Disk Mgt, My Computer and Device Manager that was when the light bulb went off in my head. My issue turn out simply to be assigning the drive path which I did in the Disk Management area and viola, the external HDs showed up in the My Computer area. So a hearty Thank you. Hope this option works for some other poor frustrated sod out there......
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Did this ever get resolved?  Hard drive prices soared due to floods in China and was much cheaper to buy an external USB drive than an internal SATA. So I got a 1TB external drive that would not recognise on my Vista 64bit.  Was a OEM pre install OS and I had no Vista DVD to repair.  I kept having to do factory restore loosing everything.  I figured seen as I was needing a retail OS DVD rather than buy Vista licence I might as well go with Win 7.  I stripped the drive from the enclosure housing to reveal a normal internal SATA II drive which I installed as an internal drive.  Still not recognised in Vista 64bit.  I booted to the 32bit Win 7 install from the DVD and it found my drive no problems.  It installed like a dream however I am now wasting 4.5GB RAM as 32bit only supports upto 3.5GB.  64bit will not find my drive.  I asked the manufacturer and they say that some components on the drive are not 64bit compatible.  There is a small disclaimer on their website stating this.  Can't return the drive as I broke the casing open.  So I am now faced with a dilema.  Buy a new 64bit compatable 1TB drive and install 64bit or stick with 32bit and have hardly any RAM.
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Turn the computer off without the external hard drive being plugged in.

plug the external hard drive in a usb port, power up, the systems post boot up will find the drive and inform windows what hardware is installed.

When windows boots up, it will look at all the hardware and find the external hard drive, when windows finishes booting up you should be able to see the drive in my computer.

If you can't access your files,data recovery software can help.I used this one called Tenorshare Data Recovery to retrieve files off crashed HDD and it worked.

If needed,you can download it and scan your hard drive for free to preview whether your files can be recovered.It will show you the file name,type,date and size of your files and thumbnails for your pictures that it found on your drive.Get it from

External Hard Drive Recovery-Recover Western Digital External Hard Drive Data

If it helps, please vote for me!

And also, by the time you finish reading this you will realize that this is just my signature.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:12 AM
  • Old thread  responding anyway...to help others..

It took me four days to find a permanent good fix.

Background:

First of all..my extrernal hard drive was seen in two xp computers...

but two Windows 7 gave me  "F:\ is not accessible. Access is denied."  errors.

I was able to transfer the contents using windows easy transfer...

However that really was not needed...

Here is how I accessed my external hard drive.

My hard drive is powered, with a Max 5 Thermaltake case.

FYI-Here is "a" solution IF it sees the drive but access is denied.

Many folks are having this problem with external hard drives.

go to start.

type in "user access control"

(select this as the option if  you get more than one choice),

there is a bar asking for you to be notified for system changes.

MOVE the BAR for user access control to ZERO...or whatever you are comfortable with.

AT zero,,,I was able to see my external drive. YES!!!!

Set the bar where you wish.

At medium I could not access anything..

I recommend you only keep the access control bar low, when needed.

Like when you want to access a special  drive, or make system changes.

I am not an expert...

so I can tell you the above worked for me...

so create a file to tell you how to change...keep UAC high except when you want to make changes..

Microsoft is a big draw for hackers...so keep your guard up.

Good luck.

Linda

• Edited by Woosil Friday, June 01, 2012 11:54 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2012 11:51 PM