none
System File Defragmenter for Windows 7?

Question

• System File Defragmenter 2.32 apparently does not work with Windows 7. Is there an update available in the pipeline, an alternative, or perhaps no need for it in Windows 7??
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to the following page, no PageDefrag update is available for Windows 7.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx

If any error occurs when running it in Windows 7, I suggest running it in compatible mode:

Install program under compatibility mode & Administrator level

=================

1. Right click on the installation file (exe file) and click Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for.”

4. Choose Windows NT 4.0 from the drop down list.

5. Select Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6. Click Apply, click OK.

Right click on the exe file and choose Run as administrator to install it again.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:24 AM
  • The program will 'run' in either NT mode or natively in Windows 7, but in both cases results in an empty box. In all other NT based OS's, when running in compatibility mode it results in an error message "Make sure that you are an adminstrator. Error loading PageDefrag driver" (note the misspelling of administrator).
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

You can try turning off UAC:

1. Click the Start Button, type "User account control" and press Enter.

2. When the User account control settings box appears, move the slider to Never notify.

3. Click OK.

If it does not work, you may need to consider a third party defragment program. You can also try the following method:

http://www.techmetica.com/howto/how-to-defragment-your-pagefile-in-vista/

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 30, 2009 9:27 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Systernals has one that works at startup - I just put it into Win 7 and all seems to work fine.  I think it's called pagedefrag.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:53 PM
  • This does not work for me.  No better if I "run as administrator".  Curious to know what steps you took to install it?

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:42 PM