none
How to create desktop shortcuts to web sites?

Question

• Windows7 rc7100:  Can I create desktop shortcuts to access web sites like I could in XP?
    Monday, August 03, 2009 3:37 AM

Answers

• Windows7 rc7100:  Can I create desktop shortcuts to access web sites like I could in XP?
    Hi

Yes.

1. When you are viewing a website, right click on the web page and select the Create Shortcut option. The shortcut will be placed on the Desktop.

2. You can also right clcik the Desktop and select New/Shortcut. In the Location Box, paste the URL to the website.

Click Next and Name the shortcut. Click Finish.

3. You can also drag the Icon at the left end of the Address Bar and drop it on the Desktop, when viewing a website to create a shortcut.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, August 03, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Well, I have been fighting this problem of web shortcut on desktop for 5 weeks. It was comforting to know that others had the same problem.  I dug deeper and found that the problem was in the default program settings for the explorer.  The protocol settings for Http, Https, and others were not selected.  Just checking them to select cured the problem immediately.  I did not even have to restart.  I do hope this halps those who have this problem. - GrandpaCarl

Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:45 PM

All replies

• Do you have the RC installed? If not yes there are several ways to create dektop shortcuts that access the intenet and they are similar or the same as XP.  
    Monday, August 03, 2009 4:53 AM
    Hi

Yes.

1. When you are viewing a website, right click on the web page and select the Create Shortcut option. The shortcut will be placed on the Desktop.

2. You can also right clcik the Desktop and select New/Shortcut. In the Location Box, paste the URL to the website.

Click Next and Name the shortcut. Click Finish.

3. You can also drag the Icon at the left end of the Address Bar and drop it on the Desktop, when viewing a website to create a shortcut.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, August 03, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply:  I do just as you instruct BUT when I click on the icon it just brings up IE but the url does not get pasted into the adddress location and IE just sits there. If I then type in the url it connects OK. Shortcuts made to apps work OK. It looks like IE8 has the problem.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Hay,

Yes you can.

Go to file in the menu, go to send above import and export.

Then there is an option make a shortcut on desktop

Goodluck Diana
    • Proposed as answer by dubieus5 Monday, August 03, 2009 5:13 PM
    Monday, August 03, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hay,

The popup gives me the adres, all I have to to is save. You can consider to save the page as, locate it on the desktop, give it a name and save.

regards

Regards Diana
    Monday, August 03, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Help and support is easy to use in windows 7 and provides tutoriols to many windows tasks just by typing a few words into help's search box:

Monday, August 03, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I can make a icon shortcut to a web site but when I click on it to use it the IE8 screen displays but the url does not get pasted into the address , At this point If I manually type in the url it works OK.  If I use Mozilla as the default browser the icon shortcut works OK.
    Windows7 and/or IE8 will not paste the url in for some reason
    Monday, August 03, 2009 5:39 PM
  • So you issue was not how to make a shortcut but why it does not work in IE8.
    When you click on an internet shortcut and the IE8 screen opens what is displayed on the screen? 

Monday, August 03, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I get IE8's  regular display just minus any entry in the address bar where the url should have been installed. The desktop shortcut calls IE 8 but for some reason the url does not get transferred.
    It has to be a 7/IE 8 problem, when Mozella is made the default browser all works fine
    Monday, August 03, 2009 9:51 PM
  • When I click on the desktop icon I get IE8's  regular display just minus any entry in the address bar where the url should have been installed.
    The desktop shortcut calls IE 8 but for some reason the url does not get transferred.
    It has to be a win7/IE 8 problem because when Mozella is made the default browser all works fine
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Internet explorer 8 usualy works smoothly in windows 7 and will open websites to the address entered in shortcuts so I don't think it's bug for windows 7 but there is something causing this on your computer, possibly an addon or axctive x control. Try disabling some of them and see if that helps. The shortcut that runs IE without addons is below although I'm not sure what good it will do since shortcuts are not working for you but it's there anyway.

"%systemdrive%\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

If this does nothing try clicking on the tools menu>>manage addons to disable some of them.

One other thing to try is resetting your internet settings to the defaults by

1. opening the tools menu>>internet options>>security>>reset all zones to default level.

2. opening the tools menu>>internet options>>advanced>>restore advanced settings.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:56 AM

• How come I cannot see any .url extensions to entries in my Favorites folder, even though I have made them visible via Folder Options?

When I view them from the Command Prompt, I can see them.

Also, the Favorites Bar folder (as seen in W.Explorer UI) is named Links folder (at the Command Prompt).

What is this magic?

I'm just asking this because I'm trying to figure out what might be going wrong with wcehman's installation, and noticed these things.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:53 AM
  • I tried all of your suggestions and still no url transferred. I went to control panel and disabled ie8 then d/l and installed a new msn version of ie8 and still no transfer of url's.  I can click on the msn tool bar and get to url's but when I click on a desktop shortcut with the same url address it just calls up ie8 without a url in the address box and sits there waiting. If I then type in a url it will then display the web site

I solved the problem! I am going to keep using Mozilla. It works fine!
    Thanks for your help

Walt
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I tried all of your suggestions and still no url transferred. I went to control panel and disabled ie8 then d/l and installed a new msn version of ie8 and still no transfer of url's to the address box.  I can click on the msn tool bar and get to url's but when I click on a desktop shortcut with the same url address it just calls up ie8 without a url in the address box and sits there waiting. If I then type in a url it will then display the web site

I solved the problem! I am going to keep using Mozilla. It works fine!
    Thanks for your help

Walt
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:03 PM

I can't either.  What causes this?????
    • Proposed as answer by GrandpaCarl Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Well, I have been fighting this problem of web shortcut on desktop for 5 weeks. It was comforting to know that others had the same problem.  I dug deeper and found that the problem was in the default program settings for the explorer.  The protocol settings for Http, Https, and others were not selected.  Just checking them to select cured the problem immediately.  I did not even have to restart.  I do hope this halps those who have this problem. - GrandpaCarl

Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:45 PM