none
XP startup crashing on agpcpq.sys

Question

• First off, I've searched around and seem to be having issues nearly the same as other users have had with XP startup crashing on agpcpq.sys. I have found no definitive fixes.

I came in one morning to find many "the memory could not be read" and "delayed write fail" messages. This has been normal for a few months and I restart and all is well. This time though, it was crashing on boot. I have tried safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, and start normally and they all fail on the same thing and restart the computer. The best I can remember, there was no major system modifications prior to the issue. 

I was able to use an Ubuntu live CD and copy data from the main system drive, so I am fairly certain this is not a disk issue.

This is a 4 year old Gateway computer, 3ghz HT P4, 2 GB ram with XP SP3.

Thanks in advance
    Monday, July 06, 2009 3:02 AM

Answers

• To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the agpcpq.sys service.

Important You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.
    1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
    5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    6. Make sure that the agpcpq service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    7. Press ESC.
    8. Type disable agpcpq, and then press ENTER.
    9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
    12. Log on to your computer.
    Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.

Modified source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

If this works for you. Please update the your graphics card drivers.

Did this resolves your issue?

Kind Regards
    DFT
    IM me
    Monday, July 06, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• Same thing happening to my machine, ever since I got Windows OneCare and I notice when I added my system drains in order of the most sucking the life out of my machine it was Windows OneCare and Windows Defender, both using huge amounts of system resources.

You can check this by adding this colume from doing Control Alt Delete and then Windows Task Manager pops up, click on the TAB PROCESSES, then under VIEW, click on SELECT COLUMS, then put a check box in VIRTUAL MEMORY USE, then click OK, now click the top bar where it says VM SIZE, this will re-arrange your programs in the amount of system resources they are using in a row.

Interesting, now OneCare worked with my machine for a few months with no problems but now all of the sudden like above I have been getting Virtual Memory issues and I have done nothing, I even tried deleting extra information on my machine, I bought another machine plus a 320 gig backup external hard drive, still having issues.

I am ready to dump it all and re-format my machine, its all ready, but I am sure I forgot something, I notice in DEVICE MANAGER everything looks fine until I ask it to print a list of hidden files, and on that tree I actually have 12 pages of garbage, but the tree looks fine in normal view, very strange and I am sure it has something to do with my problems, maybe Microsoft wants us all to buy new machines and parts and software, something strange is going on lately.

I am not happy.

Thanks for listening, everyone needs to tell their story so we know if we are alone or something is really happening behind the scenes. 

Jeff
    Monday, July 06, 2009 5:01 AM
  • After looking at my post again, I don't think I made clear. This is all happening before it gets to the login screen. I turn the computer on, the vendor and bios screen shows up, the Windows XP screen with the blue bar displays for about 4 seconds, and the computer restarts itself. It's an XP Media Center Edition 2005. Some have said it's a video driver issue so I removed my graphics card and used the onboard, but that did nothing.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 5:28 AM
  • To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the agpcpq.sys service.

Important You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.
    1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
    5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    6. Make sure that the agpcpq service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    7. Press ESC.
    8. Type disable agpcpq, and then press ENTER.
    9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
    12. Log on to your computer.
    Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.

Modified source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

If this works for you. Please update the your graphics card drivers.

Did this resolves your issue?

Kind Regards
    DFT
    IM me
    Monday, July 06, 2009 7:53 AM
  • I got my computer used and it did not come with the installation disk. The system having issues is a Media Center 2005, but I do have an installation disk for XP Pro, could I use the XP Pro disk only for the Recovery Console?
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:08 PM
  • I never tried it.
    But i think it works the only thing what this does i change a value in your register to 4.
    And this value has the same location as in windows xp media center. So, give it a try :p

IM me
    • Proposed as answer by daft Monday, July 06, 2009 6:20 PM
    Monday, July 06, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I got to the recovery console with the xp pro disk, but my windows install is not on there. It shows H:\MiniNT.  I'm guessing this is because it's not the MCE 05 disk?
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply Jogie, i was quiet bussy these days. :)
    So do you have a windows Pe cd rom somewheren (the installation dvd from windows vista or windows 7 will also do).
    And start with the following procedure in windows pe.

1. Run regedit
    2. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    3. From the File menu, select "Load hive"
    4. Navigate to %systemdriver%\Windows\System32\Config on the dead system and select the file name System
    5. Name it something you can remember, such as "horked"
    6. Navigate to horked\<the current control set>\Services\agpcpq. See below for how to determine which one is the current control set.
    7. Double click the Start value and set it to 4
    8. If you did what I did and completely destroyed things by running a disk check, navigate to <the current control set>\Control\SessionManager. Open the BootExecute value and clear out the autochk entries
    9. Reboot

I modified the procedure from to fit to your problem.
     https://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

Does this resolves your problem?

Kind Regards
    DFT

IM me
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:43 AM
  • That's fine, I'm not in a huge rush to get this fixed.

I never have created a pe cd, but I found the TechNet articles to walk me through it. I just wanted to make sure that the steps you described will work and have the same effect with the three major versions of pe (1, 2 & 3).
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:52 PM
  • i think all pe versions will do the trick :)

IM me
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:57 PM
  • After spending hours and hours and trying different unsuccessfull solutions like copying ATAPI.SYS and changing registry key etc 

I managed to resolve this problem by changing SATA mode to ATA in BIOS. Then I restored the system. This solution also work if you are trying to install XP in an advance system which does not recognise XP installation CD.

Thanks 

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:14 PM