none
Windows 7 install freezing

Question

• Windows 7 RC is freezing during the install period. I can boot to the disk and it works fine until after it reboots. Usualy it makes it all the way past the flashing Windows logo and then it stops sometime during the setup period before any user input is given. Upon stoping, it changes to a black screen with a white underscore (_) in the upper left corner that just blinks for about an hour before the system reboots again.

Further reboots do not get this far and end up on freezing while the flashing windows logo is being shown.

The image file came from Microsoft and was burned using the disk burning utility provided by the beta with verification enabled. The repair utilities have not been able to fix the problem and I have tried installing it ~15 times today using 3 different HDDs.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is very common, I had to remove my hauupage tv card and disable all usb sockets via motherboard bios. I d suggest taking out all pci/pci-e/usb cards and disable everything bar keyboard and mouse and see if that helps.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:57 AM
  • This is very common, I had to remove my hauupage tv card and disable all usb sockets via motherboard bios. I d suggest taking out all pci/pci-e/usb cards and disable everything bar keyboard and mouse and see if that helps.

I've already unpluged everything I can. I just have the keyboard and GPU for the monitor. I've just tried another disk, different blank, img file, and burning software used.... same result.

Edit: Not completly the same... after it's crash period it gave me an error message

File: \Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Bump
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Lemmings,

Have you tried removing your GPU as well, and installing via your onboard VGA?
    -Alex
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Windows 7 RC is freezing during the install period. I can boot to the disk and it works fine until after it reboots. Usualy it makes it all the way past the flashing Windows logo and then it stops sometime during the setup period before any user input is given. Upon stoping, it changes to a black screen with a white underscore (_) in the upper left corner that just blinks for about an hour before the system reboots again.

Further reboots do not get this far and end up on freezing while the flashing windows logo is being shown.

The image file came from Microsoft and was burned using the disk burning utility provided by the beta with verification enabled. The repair utilities have not been able to fix the problem and I have tried installing it ~15 times today using 3 different HDDs.

If you are trying to upgrade from Vista, you can back up all of your files and attempt a clean install, but if this is a clean install that you are trying to do, then, assuming you downloaded the ISO directly from Microsoft, it is possible that the installation disk you made form the image is corrupted.  I would try making another installation disk from the ISO at the SLOWEST burning speed that the drive allows to ensure correct burning of the disk.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 2:20 AM
  • The board does not have an onboard card, I have to use a PCI-E gpu for the monitor.

The instalation disk works, I used it to install Win 7 on another computer just yesterday. Both installs (the sucessful and unsucessful) where done with formated HDDs.

Monday, May 25, 2009 3:21 AM
  • The disk works, I burned it at 1X with verification enabled and I have used it to sucessfuly install 7 on a second PC.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Solution: I replaced the GT 8600 with a GT 9500 and it works now.
    • Marked as answer by lemmings Monday, May 25, 2009 4:34 AM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:22 AM