none
Waiting for Task Host Windows in Windows 7 when shutting down.

Question

• I am getting the message when I am trying to restart Windows 7 RTM "1 program still needs to close: (Waiting for) Task Host Window
    Task Host is executing shutdown tasks, and stopping tasks that are already running.

This message never goes away, you just have to force shutdown. 

This message was already posted but there was no answer, is anybody monitoring this forum?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:31 PM

Answers

• The problem is considered in the Knowledge Base article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/975777
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 21, 2009 2:09 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Hi Ted,

Did the issue occur before? If not, try System Restore and see if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, please first test the issue in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

What is the result?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:26 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Ted,

Did the issue occur before? If not, try System Restore and see if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, please first test the issue in Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

What is the result?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:26 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Sorry to say this but maybe all windows's errors get the same solution from MS Team.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:34 AM
  • The problem is considered in the Knowledge Base article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/975777
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 21, 2009 2:09 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Dear MVP, I am facing same problem. The concern/given hotfix is not working at all. Please help as this is very annoying.
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I have the same problem and downloaded and installed the hotfix.  It did nothing for the problem.  I clicked cancel and started task manager and found that there was two taskhost.exe processes running.  This after the attempt to shutdown failed.  I stopped both processes and then did the shutdown sucessfully. While this is a pain it is better than having to force the system off every time.  You should do the attempt to shutdown and then cancel and stop the taskhost processes and then shutdown again. 

Need some comment here from MS please.   Thanks.

Gene
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hi Linda Yan,

Is there any solution to this issues? I was blocked by the download centre for KB 957777. I had downloaded Windows 7 SP1 recently.

I discovered that when the memory activity of my computer rise from 55% to 99%, the CPU activity dropped from 10% to 1%, the Windows will slow down and no respond and eventually hang. After 10 minutes, it will slow to a scowl and it is becasue task host windows.exe is still running which is not seen.

Please help as it been months I faced this problem.

Amir

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:33 AM
  • I am also facing same issue on Windows 7 x64 platform. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975777/en-us is not working as documented.

Kindly let me know if there is any latest hotfix available to address this issue?

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Here is my solution from another thread, "Task Host Hot Fix Does Not Work".  If you have installed a Roxio product on your machine you may want to try the fix below. 

I finally found the cause of this problem on my machines. As noted above I have returned the HP machine, mostly for other issues. BUT, the problem with Task Host on that machine and on my replacment, a Sager, was the same. After installing ROXIO Easy Media Creator 9 the problem started on the Sager. Attempted to uninstall but got complaits about a missing OS function and then a complaint about a process that would not stop. Using Task Manager I could not find that number process running but I did find a Roxio process that was NOT part of the uninstall function. I manually stopped that process and then the Retry on the uninstall process worked. Shutdown worked then and has continued to work. Note that attemptes to uninstall Roxio on the HP had failed in the same way but I wasn't able to fix it as I did on the Sager. Mostly due to increased experience looking for clues to the problem cause.

Gene
    Friday, May 20, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I am having the same problem when I shutdown Win7

Task Host I have to force just down.

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:25 AM
  •   I too can not make task host manager go away when shutting down I believe it is slowing down my already slow dial-up service help please

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Hi, im having this problem and when i try to install the hotfix i received the message "the update is not applicable to your computer", i have windows 7 ultimate 64bits, dont know what else to do.

i am downloading 'Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, x64-based editions'

PLS HELP.

• Edited by Reddrader Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:50 AM
  • the update is part o the Sp1 but the fix never worked. I still get the dialog very often.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:40 AM
  • I've also been getting this for the past 2 years, still looking for a solution (Win7 x64).
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:23 AM
  • I have the same problem for 4 years now!

Win7 64 bit. I have downloaded the fix "396260_intl_x64_zip.exe" file, but it does'n applicable to my computer. WTH? It says "Update not applicable for computer" or something. I tried the 32 bit version, but the same error message.

I am getting the message when I am trying to restart Windows 7 64 bit

"1 program still needs to close: (Waiting for) Task Host Window"  and an empty window before the task host window with no program name, or publisher name. Nothing. Then it shows the task host window.

How can I fix this?

Is it possible that Microsoft will finish the Windows 7 OS in the near future?

(Just one example: folders / files does not refresh after deleting the file. It is a 4 year old problem too...)

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Had this problem. Solved it by uninstalling last program I installed. Hope it helps
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Had this problem. Solved it by uninstalling last program I installed. Hope it helps
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:19 PM
  • I have the same problem, and I too got the hotfix, but when I went to run it, I got a dialog box telling me that this hotfix is not required on my system.  That was odd because I am definitely experiencing the problem every time I shut down.
    Friday, January 03, 2014 9:18 AM
  • i posted this in some other MS forums... :

i thought the well known Shutdown issue with Windows Task Host was supposed to be fixed with win 7 SP 1 ?
    Sadly, 2 days ago it appeared again.

I have all win updates installed. Im running win 7 ult x64.

The strange thing is, whenever the task-host bug appears, i cannot shutdown windows at all now.
    Even when i force windows to shut-down, i get to the "logging off" screen, but thats it - windows will never shutdown.

If i wait for task-host window to shutdown, same thing, it will never ever close.

The only solution for me now, before i shutdown windows, i kill the "Taskhost.exe", and then shutdown.

I checked comp for viruses too, no finds. AV software, is latest Bullguard IS.

Last apps i installed where:   Java 7 latest update version and latest NVidia GFX drivers.

Whats worse. if i forget to kill taskhost, and the hanging taskhost on shutdown issue occurs, i cant even press the "Cancel" button - nothing happens if i press it.... 

Very strange issue.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 11:39 AM
  • i bought a used computer running windows 7 home premium with sp1.

I have the same problem with shutting down or re-starting my computer.

task host and.......

I downloaded and run Microsoft fix but nothing changed.

• Proposed as answer by beroze Saturday, February 08, 2014 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:51 PM
  • Scrolling down and reading all of the comments is depressing to say the least.  You gotta wonder whether MS cares about us as individual users or just prefers to chase the 'big bucks'.  Personally, I think it is the latter.  I have been struggling with the same issue for goodness knows how long now ... COME ON Microsoft!!! Get off your a*se and give us a fix that works .........
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:20 AM
  • to update  everyone.

Today i increased my ram from 1GB to 2GB and when i shut down or re-start my computer,I no longer

have to Waite for task manager to close.  Microsoftf fix did not help and i am posting this in case others

can solve this problem by increasing their ram.

Saturday, February 08, 2014 11:22 AM
  • to update  everyone.

Today i increased my ram from 1GB to 2GB and when i shut down or re-start my computer,I no longer

have to Waite for task manager to close.  Microsoftf fix did not help and i am posting this in case others

can solve this problem by increasing their ram.

hi I have the same problem but iam running 12gb of ram but still no fix as yet . my be its to get us all to move to windows 8 ?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:27 PM
  • 3/18/14

I installed Win-7 Pro 32 bit a couple of years ago, and have had these "Task Host" hang issues for most of that time.  Mine generally happens when logging off from a password protected user account.  SP-1 doesn't fix it, and the hotfix referenced does not apply to SP1 machines.  I've been looking for a solution periodically since the beginning, and have tried almost every fix process I've seen posted.  They were all a pointless waste of time.  As I review all the complaint comments and the time-span involved, it makes me long for the good old XP days.  Maybe it's time for MS to develop another solid/stable OS and keep it properly updated.  There are a lot of serious computer users who are beginning to look at alternatives to MS in order to alleviate continual minor annoyances that aren't addressed.

• Edited by Byonson Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:15 PM
  • i have got the same prob. i have spent more than 40 hrs in researching to fix this prob. this is what i have achieve.

there is nothing wrong with my PC or windows OS. the problem lies in Bullguard service files. you don't have t kill taskhost.exe. you only have to stop bullguard service file. here how you can do it.

1. press and hold windows+R to bring run box and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) then press Enter.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box

3. uncheck only bullguard services ( i have only 3 running services).

4. restart you PC, this time you may have the same prob in shutting down as the services are still running in the background.

5. after restarting your PC try to shut it down again and hopefully you will have problem free log off.

Note: disabling bullguard services may show some errors in bullguard in running it. (i have error in real time scan). 

I am contacting bullguard tech support for permanent fix and will share it here once i achieve this.

cheers!

Monday, April 21, 2014 3:35 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I also know nobody has solved this problem, and Microsoft doesn't seem to care anymore.

I am happy to announce that I used a program called WinASO Registry Optimizer and it has solved this problem completely!!! I no longer see any task host window nor blank force shutdown screens! It also seems to have sped up both boot and shutdown times!!! Also, an added plus...and this is another one that MS doesn't seem to have a permanent cure for...all of my notification icons now load every time!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Finally, I found something that just solved all of these problems at once! It ain't free, but it's worth it if you've been banging your head against the wall for ages now, trying to solve these seemingly incurable and annoying bugs.

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Does WinAso Registry Optimizer really work that well? i've had slow boot and shutdown times for a while as well. Nothing seems to work. i also have the dumb svchost screen alot on shutdow. does WinASO Registry Optimizer really work as well as you claim?
    Friday, May 23, 2014 5:50 AM
  • I had this same problem. Fixed by unchecking Nvidia services (4 of them) I also have bullguard, but that was not the problem, it was the graphics card.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 11:09 AM