none
PC Freezing, Icons Loading Slow

Question

• So far this has happened twice, I start my PC, everything seems fine then when I try to open something for example google chrome, it will open but then it will just freeze while opening and not go any further, when this happens I can't close or minimize the program or open task manager, my mouse works fine but nothing responds to my clicks. This isn't a google chrome error as it has also happened when I go into My Computer just after bootup.

I have also had different kind of freezes as well, these happen at random points when I am browsing online, playing a game or just on my desktop, these freezes cause my computer to temporarily freeze, (for about 5 seconds) I notice this because at the time of these freezes I get a mouse stutter, (mouse freezes then jumps to where it should be) I also notice that if I am using "ventrilo" at the time it also cuts out for these 5 seconds.

Another problem that I have been having for a while now is I have noticed that every so often my folder icons load slowly, by this I mean sometimes when I open a folder some of the applications display the no icon symbol for a while before the icon appears. I thought this could be icon cache related but I have just formated and im now wondering if this problem could have the same cause as my freezes.

I don't know if this could be related but I have also noticed that rendering in games seems slower than it did before. In games where the environment renders as you play it seems to load much slower than it did before.

Specs:

Processor: Intel S1155 i7-2600 CPU 3.40GHz - 3.70GHz

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX

Disk Drives:

• SSD 2.5" 115GB Corsair Force Series
    • 3.5" SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Seagate

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

“So far this has happened twice, I start my PC, everything seems fine then when I try to open something for example google chrome, it will open but then it will just freeze while opening and not go any further, when this happens I can't close or minimize the program or open task manager, my mouse works fine but nothing responds to my clicks. This isn't a google chrome error as it has also happened when I go into My Computer just after bootup.”

I just want to know whether you could right click the taskbar when it freeze? And when did this problem occur?

I suggest that you try following steps to check the problem on your machine.

1. Scan the virus on your machine.

2.Use Windows Memory Diagnostic to check your memory.

3.Use “Chkdsk /f” command to check the disk.

4.Also try to repro this problem in Clean Boot the determine whether this problem is caused by third party software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Once done, check the result and let me know.

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• Sorry for bumping this thread, but I really want to know what could be causing these issues.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

“So far this has happened twice, I start my PC, everything seems fine then when I try to open something for example google chrome, it will open but then it will just freeze while opening and not go any further, when this happens I can't close or minimize the program or open task manager, my mouse works fine but nothing responds to my clicks. This isn't a google chrome error as it has also happened when I go into My Computer just after bootup.”

I just want to know whether you could right click the taskbar when it freeze? And when did this problem occur?

I suggest that you try following steps to check the problem on your machine.

1. Scan the virus on your machine.

2.Use Windows Memory Diagnostic to check your memory.

3.Use “Chkdsk /f” command to check the disk.

4.Also try to repro this problem in Clean Boot the determine whether this problem is caused by third party software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

Once done, check the result and let me know.

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:54 AM