none
Failed to connect to a windows service

Question

• I get this pop up on almost all my Windows 7 pc's when a user logs on.  It says:

Failed to connect to a windows server.  Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.  This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system.  As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond.  

When I check, the service is running just fine.  If the users don't do anything, the message goes away after about 10 seconds.  It also goes away if they click on anything before that 10 seconds.  I know that there's nothing really wrong with the computers...or at least I think, but my users keep calling in to the Help Desk thinking there is a problem.  

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• Try:

1- Log on to your Windows system. Just ignore the error message for the time being.

2- Go to Windows Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories

3- Right click on Windows Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. Wait for the Command Prompt to launch.

windows-vista-system-event-notificator-error-message-1

4- Using the command prompt, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\ folder.

5- Type “netsh” and press Enter. The prompt will change to netsh>

6- Type “Winsock reset“. Press Enter once more.

windows-vista-system-event-notificator-error-message-2

7- Reboot your computer

• Proposed as answer by Ahmed-Idris Thursday, July 03, 2014 2:17 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but I still receive the pop up message.  Anything else to try?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Please ensure that the start up type of the System Event Notification Service on the clients is Automatic and not Automatic (Delayed Start). You'll have to make these changes to the group policy on the domain controller that applies to these machines.

Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue (do mention the error code if you see any). Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:56 PM
  • It is set to Automatic with a Lon On As Local System.  I think it might just be taking a few seconds longer to start that server and I'm getting notified because so.  Is there a way to extend the notification message time...say if it's set to notify on this server if it isn't started in 60 seconds, can I change that to 120 seconds?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you check the event log to see more information about this behavior. So we can have more clues to troubleshoot this issue.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Checking the Event Viewer, I see I have 16 Error messages that state: The SERVICENAME service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.  The services mentioned are:

Application Experience

Computer Browser

Certificate Propagation

Group Policy Client

IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

IP Helper

Server

Multimedia Class Scheduler

User Profile Service

Task Scheduler

System Event Notification ---------This is the one that gives me the pop up message

Remote Desktop Configuration

Shell Hardware Detection

Themes

Windows Managment Instrumentation

Windows Update

When I look under my services, all of these are running.  I'm not sure why they are terminating on logon and I'm not sure why that one gives me the pop up message.  Is there a way to turn off that pop up notification?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you try to rebuild the WMI repository to check the how it works:

Run the following command in c:\windows\system32\wbem folder to rebuild the repository:

Winmgmt.exe /Resetrepository

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Did a net stop winmgmt then ran the Winmgmt /Resetrepository and still get the pop up message. 
    Monday, October 03, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hi ,

Please try to perform the following steps.

1. Disable antivirus application of the client (if there is)

2. Disable Internet Protocol Version 6(IPV6). The below KB has the detail steps how to disable IPV6, please refer it to disable IPV6

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us

Some questions
    =============
    a. When an user try to log off from the server, and then it appear at the warning message, if at the same time, do other users can logon the server?
    b. If you physical logon to the specific server and then logon, does the issue still persist?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:10 AM
  • High all,

I think I found the problem. And thus the solution!

This morning I experienced the same problem as described above. At the "System Event log" (= Event Viewer) I found that my error is a service control error and it says: The Audio Service service hung on starting. But why did it hung?...

Looking at the posts here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event/e8de1ee3-159f-4dae-9e9e-9a648cd85478?page=1&tm=1318233581165) many people experience similar problems and some can solve it temporarily. A solution is (de)installing some programme or use winsock reset. Thus some sort of reset does the trick in temporarily solving the problem. But it occurs in an irregular fashion. So what is causing it?

Then I remembered that I yesterday turned out the laptop with the earphone/speakers still plunged in. It is horribly stupid to think that leaving the earphone plunged in make your system fail. But then again: it's windows! And also mind that many people listen to music via earphones. On top of that the error report is on the audio service!

As test I rebooted the laptop after using: Command Prompt (Run as administrator) --> netsh --> winsock reset --> exit --> exit. That reboot went smooth. Then I rebooted a second time successfully. Then I plunged in my earphone and rebooted a third time. When the screen got black I unplugged the earphone. This time the problem reoccurred. It is not hard evidence but it sounds illogical logic and it passed my hypothesis. Thats good enough for me. :)

Solution for users:
    Unplug your earphone before you shut down the computer

shears,

Jeroen

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:07 AM
  • You may refer the following article to troubleshoot.

MPECS Inc. Blog Windows Vista - Error - Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service

Although it is for Windows Vista, you can refer it in your Windows 7 issue troubleshooting.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Thanks... Its Work
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:08 PM
  • High all,

I think I found the problem. And thus the solution!

This morning I experienced the same problem as described above. At the "System Event log" (= Event Viewer) I found that my error is a service control error and it says: The Audio Service service hung on starting. But why did it hung?...

Looking at the posts here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event/e8de1ee3-159f-4dae-9e9e-9a648cd85478?page=1&tm=1318233581165) many people experience similar problems and some can solve it temporarily. A solution is (de)installing some programme or use winsock reset. Thus some sort of reset does the trick in temporarily solving the problem. But it occurs in an irregular fashion. So what is causing it?

Then I remembered that I yesterday turned out the laptop with the earphone/speakers still plunged in. It is horribly stupid to think that leaving the earphone plunged in make your system fail. But then again: it's windows! And also mind that many people listen to music via earphones. On top of that the error report is on the audio service!

As test I rebooted the laptop after using: Command Prompt (Run as administrator) --> netsh --> winsock reset --> exit --> exit. That reboot went smooth. Then I rebooted a second time successfully. Then I plunged in my earphone and rebooted a third time. When the screen got black I unplugged the earphone. This time the problem reoccurred. It is not hard evidence but it sounds illogical logic and it passed my hypothesis. Thats good enough for me. :)

Solution for users:
    Unplug your earphone before you shut down the computer

shears,

Jeroen

This solution worked for me except my external microphone was the issue not the headphones. 

I just built a new computer with Windows 7 Professional 64bit. System booted up to login screen within 35seconds. Then I plugged in my microphone for the first time (I use it for speech recognition dictation program). The next time I rebooted, It took 2 minutes for the "Please Wait" to go away then another 30 seconds after logging in before I got my desktop.And the popup balloon on the taskbar said "Failed to connect to a Windows Service.....". The desktop was using the Windows Classic theme and when right-clicking the desktop, the "jump" menu took forever to reveal.

Looking through the Event Viewer, I found the error: 7022 THE WINDOWS AUDIO SERVICE HUNG ON STARTING

After a few google searches and temporary non fixes, I found this forum.

Anyway, I was able to replicate the problem in my system by performing the netsh winsock reset command, removing the microphone then rebooting the system. Upon boot up, to my surprise, no hangs, just quick 35 second boot up and no error after log in, my Aero theme is back and right-clicking on the desktop is instantanious.

So I plug microphone back in, reboot and you guessed it.....windoze hangs, no Aero and error message back :(

Pulled the microphone again, rebooted and all is well again.

My guess is that headphones and microphones need to be plugged in after boot up and removed before shut down to avoid this aggravation.

Is this problem the fault with Realtek audio drivers (in my case) or Windows? I'm not sure what refreshing winsock does either as it is a networking component.

• Proposed as answer by speedy5150 Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:28 AM
    • Edited by speedy5150 Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:26 AM
  •  hello

i tried ur method and it does work..however again my pc hangs suddenly and when i try to restart pc it doesnt restrt from strt menu instead i hve to restrt from restrt button..and when pc strts i face same issue

my query is why this keeps hppning repeatedly ?

aren't thre any permanent solution?pls help

Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Thank you man, I found your proposal so handy, it really works

Ahmed-Idris

Thursday, July 03, 2014 2:18 AM