none
Installing Older "Unsupported" Large Format HP Printers on W7 x64

Question

• Not a question as much as a solution.. 

I have a HP 2000cp (Similar to 2500CP, 3500CP and many other large format HP printer / plotters)

I found the HP 1050C driver for Vista 64bit will work on these old unsupported printers and plotters.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=33711&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24023&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

How to get it to work..

1) Do not use the old parallel printer cable.. found it easiest if you use a parallel to USB cable
    2) Download and unzip driver
    3) Boot up printer and go into firmware.. set HPGL/2 palette to "Software"
    4) Plug USB into computer and wait for activation to run and install all drivers it has (IEEE to USB support.. etc.) - Note it will not find a driver for your printer. and will not "Finish installing the drivers.. etc" but it will in a way.
    5) Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers
    6) Go to the bottom to "Unspecified"
    7) Left Click IEEE controller - Go to Properties
    8) Go to hardware.. your printer will be there
    9) Left click printer and go Properties
    10) Click "Change settings"
    11) Go to driver tab and update driver
    12) Browse for drivers
    13) Use "Let me pick" do not browse for the driver in this screen
    14) Next screen go to "Have disk" and then browse for the HP Driver you unzipped.
    15) After install.. go to printer properties and into the printer preferences
    16) Go to Advanced tab
    17) Under "Process Document" change setting to "... in computer"

I tried a multitude of other ways.. either W7 wouldn't install because it didn't support the driver or crashed. Trying to go a different route to forceably install the driver wouldn't work because it would error code that the driver "wasn't for this model". NOT setting the HPGL in the printer to Software AND Setting to "in computer" causes errors in printing True Type Fonts and such. This makes even non-PS printers/plotters be able to print Postscript. Since all the Postscript processing is done on the computer and not in the printer / plotter.

Hope that this helps someone.
    • Edited by GoinDesign Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

• Thats the problem.. HP Doesnt have any Vista or W7 32bit or 64bit drivers for these older plotters. The "Newest" Driver is a 6 year old 32 bit XP Driver.

So searching for one fails during the "Search automatically" feature. Also running in Compatibility mode gave errors with the XP driver, and wouldnt accept the alternate driver.

That said these old drivers use HPGL/2 as thier printing language and HP HAS Updated the 1050C driver to Vista 64 and W7.. and using the process I outlined you can get W7 (and Vista) to accept this driver for the older printer/plotters.

I tried the "Standard" ways to get a driver to work on my HP 2000CP, My workaround was the only way to get these old "unsupported" printers and plotters to work.

That said it does work ! I wasnt posting FOR a solution I was posting THE solution..

Many Engineers, Architects, and others use these older printers and replacements with 64 bit drivers are over $3000. Many just want thier old plotter to work, and HP has decided to completely ignore all of us. These plotters cost over $6000-$10000 new, and still work fine. They are still valuable and some like myself are still paying upwards of $1000 or more for them, yet HP doesnt want to support them even though all they would have to do is recode the 1050C driver to be recognized as a 2000CP driver. Maybe even W7 could be coded to recognize the 1050C driver as a legacy driver for older HP HPGL/2 Plotters since HP won't.

BTW.. the older XP drivers don't have near the functionality built into them the 1050C Driver does (Since its a new driver with new HP programming) so "forcing" W7 to use the 1050C 64x driver for the 2000CP provides more functionality with my plotter than using the old 6 year old 2000CP XP driver did on XP.
    • Marked as answer by GoinDesign Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:44 PM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device with yellow question mark / exclamatory mark in the front and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Thats the problem.. HP Doesnt have any Vista or W7 32bit or 64bit drivers for these older plotters. The "Newest" Driver is a 6 year old 32 bit XP Driver.

So searching for one fails during the "Search automatically" feature. Also running in Compatibility mode gave errors with the XP driver, and wouldnt accept the alternate driver.

That said these old drivers use HPGL/2 as thier printing language and HP HAS Updated the 1050C driver to Vista 64 and W7.. and using the process I outlined you can get W7 (and Vista) to accept this driver for the older printer/plotters.

I tried the "Standard" ways to get a driver to work on my HP 2000CP, My workaround was the only way to get these old "unsupported" printers and plotters to work.

That said it does work ! I wasnt posting FOR a solution I was posting THE solution..

Many Engineers, Architects, and others use these older printers and replacements with 64 bit drivers are over $3000. Many just want thier old plotter to work, and HP has decided to completely ignore all of us. These plotters cost over $6000-$10000 new, and still work fine. They are still valuable and some like myself are still paying upwards of $1000 or more for them, yet HP doesnt want to support them even though all they would have to do is recode the 1050C driver to be recognized as a 2000CP driver. Maybe even W7 could be coded to recognize the 1050C driver as a legacy driver for older HP HPGL/2 Plotters since HP won't.

BTW.. the older XP drivers don't have near the functionality built into them the 1050C Driver does (Since its a new driver with new HP programming) so "forcing" W7 to use the 1050C 64x driver for the 2000CP provides more functionality with my plotter than using the old 6 year old 2000CP XP driver did on XP.
    • Marked as answer by GoinDesign Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:44 PM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Thank you GoinDesign for providing a truly USEFULL answer.

Something that is sorely lacking in todays increasingly technological world.

If we could just convince large corporations to do the same we would all feel less frustrated .

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Thank you for going to the trouble to provide this work around.  I'm about to be upgrading my 6 year old computer systems to new ones with Windows 7.  I have a Designjet 600 and 700 that are both still working very well.  Don't know if this will work for them, but am glad that I might be able to find a work around before I get the new computers.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Thank you for this I am frustrated with the lack of support from hp my 3500cp works great with xp now it is working with 64 bit windows 7.
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 5:45 AM
  • I have a 7575A plotter. I THINK it is HPGL rather than HPGL2. I presume this driver will not work for my plotter, but I thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks,

Ian Moss

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:17 AM
  • You're my hero.
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:57 PM
  • I love you! Regards from Panama City, Panama
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:38 AM