none
Windows Media Player 11 keeps playing after closed

Question

• Running Vista Enterprise with Windows Media Player 11.

Here is the issue I am running into:

If I play a video or music from WMP 11 and I close WMP, I can still hear the audio after I have closed the program. The only way to stop it is to kill the task in task manager. I have gone as far as reloading my OS and I still have the same issue. Did some hunting on the support site but I have not found anything relevant to my situation.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what steps they took to correct it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:08 PM

All replies

•  

This happened to me also. Thought I was going crazy. I found that WMP was just minimized and when I clicked on the >> taskbar on the left side of the window, WMP was there and still running. Closing the application evidently just minimized it and it was running in the background. I hit stop to stop the music and closed it again.
    Friday, February 01, 2008 12:37 AM
  • No, it's not just minimized. I just double checked. When WMP is running I see it in both the applications tab and the processes tab in task manager. When I close WMP, it disappears fromt he applications tab but stays in the processes tab and I continue to hear audio. When the video is finished the wmplayer.exe process is still running even though media player is closed.

Friday, February 01, 2008 12:57 AM
  • This is surprising to hear... I have experience the same "feature", but when using the COM interface to control wmp.  When wmp is closed there is no notification via COM to the controlling SW that it has closed so the "hidden" player process remains... 
    I'm curious if MediaCenter was used in conjunction with your experience... reason I ask that is because wmp is the player for MCE and maybe that is why the process was still running.

I'm on a search to get notified by wmp when it closes so I can disconnect the COM IF w/o using a polling loop...

ernie
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:52 PM
  • I too have this exact thing happen with me. I have to end the task. I have not time to investigate at the moment so I have just ignored it.

If someone knows a solution I would be very pleased! Smile

• Proposed as answer by semjase Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  

This is hapenning to me to with Vista Business.
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:54 PM
  • This is happening with me as well.

I 'x' out of the application and the visual 'closes' but the audio keeps playing as if it is minimized instead of closed.  I then go to the taskbar and see that the application is still open and I have to hit the stop button and then close the applicaiton but it isn't closing.

Any word on a fix for this?

• Proposed as answer by semjase Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:04 PM
    Friday, February 08, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Yes, the same problem. Once I found that my keyboard layout switcher (from a third party called Punto Switcher) made this trouble. But now I once again experience the same thing and this time I couldn't figure out the cause, since no third party keyboard switcher is active or even installed. I tryed to switch off other programs that may inject their dlls into Media Player, like Logitech SetPoint for example, but didn't succeed anyway.

Friday, February 08, 2008 6:54 PM
  • This problem seems to be related to the WMP SideShow application.

On my computer (Vista Home Premium) when I was playing an audio file in WMP, and I tried to close the WMP window, the GUI would disappear, but the process would stay running and the musc would continue to play, as people have described above.  Ending the process or process tree from the task manager would stop the music, but a new wmplayer.exe process would immediately start, although it would not be playing music.  I found that If I killed the WMPSideShowGadget.exe process (either through the task manager or by turning off the application in the Windows SideShow menu) and then closed WMP either through the GUI or by killing the process in the task manager, it would actually stop and the process would end, along with the music.  Additionally, after getting rid of the WMPSideShowGadget.exe process, no new wmplayer.exe processes were spawned after killing one.

So, it appears to be either a strange designed functionality, or a bug in the implementatio of the side show gadget, but is easy to fix. 
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:35 AM
  •  blazotron wrote:
    This problem seems to be related to the WMP SideShow application.
    I don't have such application running. It seems that different applications can cause this problem with WMP, Punto Switcher, for example, as I mentioned above. And btw it is not solely property of vista or WMP11. Some people experienced the same problem with WMP9 and under XP. The problem is still here and has at least as long as 4 years history. Microsoft carefully reproduced this bug throughout at least 2 new versions of WMP. The problem is no doubts is familiar to Microsoft, because it is described in their KB: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938415&SD=tech. Suggested solution made me LOL:

To work around this problem when it occurs, follow these steps to shut down Windows Media Player:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    2. Click Start Task Manager.
    3. Click the Processes tab. 
    4. Click the wmplayer.exe process. 
    5. Click End Processes, and then click End process. 

• Proposed as answer by garyjonjon Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:24 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:45 AM
  • Yes I to have recently noticed this issue.  The problem did not exist before a month ago and I have had this computer for at least six months.  I'm running Vista x64.  This irritates the heck out of me as it can be....inconvienent to say the least.

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:46 PM

• I was having the same problem as everyone here. I searched the boards looking for a solution and couldn't find one, but I stumbled upon it myself and I'm interested to know if this helps anyone else.

While playing files in WMP 11 using Windows Vista, I would close WMP 11, and all it would do would was apparently minimize the player because I could still hear it pkaying and the codecs still appeared in my bar at the bottom.

So what was it. Well, it had to do with Firefox and an addon called Foxy Tunes.

Foxy Tunes in a firefox addon that bascially puts media player controls directly onto the firefox browser. It still plays thrtough whatever program you are using (i.e. WMP 11) but the controls are on the browser.

There is one control on the browser that allows you to hide (remove it from the taskbar) whatever program you are running while keeping the file running.

If you hit "Hide Player" from the bar, but then go and open another file (say through explorer), if you try to close the program it will keep running in the background.

All you have to do is hit "Show Player" on the Foxy Tunes control panel and WMP 11 will start closing properly again.

Hope this helps someone else. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going wrong!
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:38 AM
  • I just started having this problem the other day.  The day I bought a new Logitech Media keyboard.  I wonder if that is it?  Could the Logitech software be keeping wmplayer open?  I know that as it should, if I press the stop key on the keyboard after wmp disappears, the media file stops playing, however, wmplayer.exe is still running in Task Manager. 

I am curious to find out how many others here have media keyboards.

BTW I have Vista Home Premium x64.
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:14 AM
  •  Kool Aid Man wrote:
    The day I bought a new Logitech Media keyboard.  I wonder if that is it?  Could the Logitech software be keeping wmplayer open?

Kool Aid Man wrote:
    BTW I have Vista Home Premium x64.

It is Logitech software that triggered this behavior, but I think that the problem is not in Logitech's software, but in the kernel of windows. I almost sure that this is the same issue that cause problems described in here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2942787&siteid=17. Namely because of the stack problem inside one of kernel procedures, as soon as some injected dll (and the Logitech software for sure injects dll) sets WH_CALLWNDPROC hook, recursive depth of SendMessage is shrinked to 19. I suppose that the problem with wmplayer is because it can not receive WM_CLOSE message or something similar and stays permanently running.

The issue is purely Microsoft's, they have to fix their kernel. And they still didn't do it in Vista SP1. Stay praying Smile.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:54 AM
  •  Captnwolfy wrote:

I've successfully tied my issue with this in Windows Premium, to multiple monitors.  If I switch to the TV monitor via S-Video in "extended mode" play a DVD movie and switch back, instant problem.  Close to single monitor and reboot, problem goes away until I do it again (fairly often).  Works light a light switch, (GTX8800 Video card on ECS945-PA board with Pentium D 945's). 

BUT!  I'm almost guaranteed to be running firefox on the other monitor while switching back and forth.  Firefox alone won't do it to me, I think (The only add-on I run is No-Script).  Running the multiple monitors guarantees this effect.  Like a light switch.

I can get rid of the "effect" going on right now by rebooting in single monitor, but, I've started killing the process tree as an annoyance rather than a defect.  I'm lazy, not stupid, nor incurious.  There may exist some tie-in to Firefox.  Some further testing will ensue, immediately.  Whether I find myself here again... OH, Guaranteed clean machine, other than mentioned, reformatted and built 5 days ago.  Firefox has been the only admin install to date.  Test-mode engaged.
    Friday, March 07, 2008 7:37 AM
  •  LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     Captnwolfy wrote:

Test-mode engaged.

Got it.  Rebooted, back to normal.  It's the dual video with vista.  MAYBE!  It's like it auto-moves it to the other screen where it can't be seen, a fairly common occurrence that I've seen recently.  The Firefox post spooked me, because, I'm always in it and because on a fresh single screen boot it happened just a moment ago.  But, I tried to play a wav sound-file through a web page on firefox through WMP11, No-script caught it, I didn't want to download more junk to play stuff (any other FF addons) so saved to disk.

I'm running an "unapproved" RealTek HD audio manager for the onboard sound drivers.  This system is 5 days old.  Tad more testing.  I'll close FF change monitors and try to recreate.
    Friday, March 07, 2008 7:58 AM
  •  LazyAdmin888 wrote:
    It's the dual video with vista.  MAYBE!
    Apparently it's not. Most people experiencing this problem don't have dual video.
    Friday, March 07, 2008 8:08 AM
  •  LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     Captnwolfy wrote:

Test-mode engaged.

Got it.  Rebooted, back to normal.  It's the dual video with vista.  MAYBE! 

NOT.  Kicked it, Prodded it, Poked it.  It's definitively FireFox Ver 2.0.0.12 causing the weird behavior of the Windows Media Player 11.  This is why the Windows Media Player hasn't integrated into firefox and Flash has taken the world by storm.  Personally, it's politics, and my laziness begins anew right here and now!

The firefox plugin call to windows video is hosed.  DIVX through FF will do the same thing.  I'm guessing anything calling through FF for any kind of video controls will do the same thing.  I'm done here.  That's the problem, and there ya go.  Now, the see through task bar where nothing exists will be my next adventure.  That one is going from monitor to monitor.

Reboot/ again.
    Friday, March 07, 2008 8:21 AM
  •  LazyAdmin888 wrote:
    It's definitively FireFox Ver 2.0.0.12 causing the weird behavior of the Windows Media Player 11.
    Definitely it's not. I don't have FF and still experience this problem. I didn't have FF on several previous installations of Vista and XP as well, and still I experienced this problem. I even experineced it with WMP10. This is a long lasting bug.

Can you please check whether WMP receives WM_CLOSE and WM_DESTROY when it stays background? I am almost sure it is not.

Friday, March 07, 2008 8:40 AM
  • I agree it is NOT Firefox. I had the same issue with WMP running Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1) and i found the solution to MY problem. I do not know i this will fix anyone elses but here is what i did.

Reading some other issues on other boards i found out the cmd "regsvr32 wmp.dll" i tried this because my Windows Media Center wasn't working properly. Fixed that but CREATED the current error that this thread is about. Here is what i did

I ran the "regsvr32" command with the following dll files

wmp.dll
    wmpcm.dll
    wmpdxm.dll
    wmpeffects.dll
    WMPEncEn.dll
    WMPhoto.dll
    wmpmde.dll
    wmpps.dll
    wmpshell.dll
    wmpsrcwp.dll

Yes this is probably a bad thing to do, but it worked for me and so far i have seen no problems with any other program. Make sure that wmplayer.exe and any other service starting with wmp has been halted via TaskManager then begin to regsvr32 all of the above listed files. Reboot and it should be working. If not sorry i could not help any further.

EDIT: Some of the files that you will regsvr32 will say that the dll files do not exist. DON'T WORRY! It just means that they do not or can not be registered again. Just keep going.
    • Proposed as answer by ceez38 Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:05 AM
    Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:07 AM
  • I fixed it by deselecting the WMP Sideshow plugin. I have a logitech G15 keyboard and it installed it automatically. I also had the same problem with the Windows Mail plugin that keeps running and my backup program started giving me errors.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 10:13 AM
  •  LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     Captnwolfy wrote:

Test-mode engaged.

NOT.  Kicked it, Prodded it, Poked it.  It's definitively FireFox Ver 2.0.0.12 causing the weird behavior of the Windows Media Player 11.  This is why the Windows Media Player hasn't integrated into firefox and Flash has taken the world by storm.  Personally, it's politics, and my laziness begins anew right here and now!

The firefox plugin call to windows video is hosed.  DIVX through FF will do the same thing.  I'm guessing anything calling through FF for any kind of video controls will do the same thing.  I'm done here.  That's the problem, and there ya go.  Now, the see through task bar where nothing exists will be my next adventure.  That one is going from monitor to monitor.

Reboot/ again.

Err...NOT.

I do not have Firefox installed. I do experience this issue.

I have no Logitech software installed. I do experience this issue

I do not have Dual Displays. I do experience this issue.

I think that about covers all the previous suggestions as to the cause (not just yours)

If I click the STOP button in WMP, then close the app, everything is kosher.

If I do not click STOP, then I simply X out of WMP, it plays in the background.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Im running windows vista 32 premium, logitech g15 keyboard, on and XPS 420 with the color lcd slide show on the case ... i dont wanna turn slide show off =(   i have this same problems, audio keeps going. grrr.....

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:38 AM
  • I am experiencing this issue as well, however, I don't have any problems with Firefox, not using multiple displays, and don't have a logitech keyboard.  I find that my problem begins when I sync my smartphone (HTC5800 Verizon Wireless) to the computer.  I use Windows Mobile Device Center to do this and my phone uses WM6 for smartphone.  This has a mobile version of WMP on it.  After the phone syncs, the issue occurs.  If I hit stop in WMP11 and then the X it closes.  I can kill it in Task Manager of course.  It always works after reboot as long as the phone is not connected.  Interestingly enough, the smartphone version of WMP keeps playing after you close it on the phone.  You have to hit stop first or kill it in task manager on the phone.  Does anyone else have a mobile device connected?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:59 AM
  •  Mandark wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     LazyAdmin888 wrote:
     Captnwolfy wrote:

Test-mode engaged.

NOT.  Kicked it, Prodded it, Poked it.  It's definitively FireFox Ver 2.0.0.12 causing the weird behavior of the Windows Media Player 11.  [Snip..]

Err...NOT.

I think that about covers all the previous suggestions as to the cause (not just yours)

If I do not click STOP, then I simply X out of WMP, it plays in the background.

DO have Firefox installed. Version 2.0.012 I do experience this issue.

DO NOT have Logitech software installed. But I do use a Logitech Wireless mouse. I do experience this issue

DO have Dual Displays. I do experience this issue.

I DO have SP1 installed. I do experince this issue.

I need to try your STOP then CLOSE suggestion, Mandark. I'm guilty of leaving a playlist running in the background, since I like my playlists a mile long, and then closing it abruptly.

BTW, I've noticed this issue since late last year, not sure how long it's been going or when it started initally. Usally soaks up 14-28mb in Task Manger, long after wmplayer.exe has been CLOSED.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Aloha!

Okay, I think I may have an answer to this one.

I recently installed a thumb drive as Readyboost and started having the same problem described above.

At first I didn't think nothing about Readyboost until I came across a forum talking about memory.

So I decided to uninstall Readyboost and remove the thumb drive.

Then, I replicated the steps above by playing music and video files then closing WMP by clicking on the "X".

This instantly stopped the playback and closed the program with no issues.

I wasn't quite convinced that this could be the fix, so I tried it a few more times and it worked like it should be.

I hope this helps if any of you are using Readyboost.

Mahalo.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  Masta337 wrote:

Aloha!

Okay, I think I may have an answer to this one.

I recently installed a thumb drive as Readyboost and started having the same problem described above.

At first I didn't think nothing about Readyboost until I came across a forum talking about memory.

So I decided to uninstall Readyboost and remove the thumb drive.

Then, I replicated the steps above by playing music and video files then closing WMP by clicking on the "X".

This instantly stopped the playback and closed the program with no issues.

I wasn't quite convinced that this could be the fix, so I tried it a few more times and it worked like it should be.

I hope this helps if any of you are using Readyboost.

Mahalo.

OK. Once again the explanation. The problem was triggered by Readyboost. But the real problem is in Windows kernel. Actually any program that intercepts windows messages in other applications may lead to this problem. For example it may be Logitech SetPoint, AnyDVD, Punto Switcher, etc. The fact is that when an application injects its dll for interception of windows messages, it drastically shrinks recursive depth of SendMessage. And whenever it happens, you may encounter this strange behaviour of WMP along with other oddities like for example not resizing client area of Adobe Acrobat (Reader).
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 2:16 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with WMP playing in background with Visa Ultimate.

I don't have FF

I do have a Logitech web cam installed (came with quick cam software)

I don't have Dual Displays

It does the exact same thing, I have to go into task manger to shut it down.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Symptoms:Windows Media Player Running in Background; Directly opening Media Results in WMP Running in Background unless WMP is opened directly, Closing Application Causes the WMP GUI to Close but doesn't end the Process resulting in continued playback & continued Memory Usage

Ok I just recently noticed this issue been running Vista since it was longhorn.....Currently Running Vista Ultimate SP1 and this is my 3rd fresh install done about 1 day ago... and so far the only thing I have done is install Windows Updates Optionals and requireds and this problem started right up with no other software installed seems to be related to an update not to any other software installed

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:13 AM
  •  Eviltone wrote:
    I am experiencing this issue as well, however, I don't have any problems with Firefox, not using multiple displays, and don't have a logitech keyboard.  I find that my problem begins when I sync my smartphone (HTC5800 Verizon Wireless) to the computer.  I use Windows Mobile Device Center to do this and my phone uses WM6 for smartphone.  This has a mobile version of WMP on it.  After the phone syncs, the issue occurs.  If I hit stop in WMP11 and then the X it closes.  I can kill it in Task Manager of course.  It always works after reboot as long as the phone is not connected.  Interestingly enough, the smartphone version of WMP keeps playing after you close it on the phone.  You have to hit stop first or kill it in task manager on the phone.  Does anyone else have a mobile device connected?

i recently got a Q-Tek 2020i , since first connected i came across the exact same thing.
    wonder if it is somehow mobile mediaplayer settings-related, and when syncing the fukker the settings get saved to media player 11 too. vista ultimate X64 btw. i do have firefox, as well as dualscreensetup. but this issue didn't rear its ugly head until i first connected the Q-Tek 2020i.

are there more ppl with a smartphone,pocketPC experiencing this issue?
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I have the same problem under Win XP Pro SP2!

When my Q-Tec 8500 is connected via Activ Sync and the Media Player is also playing after closeing. But wenn i diconnect the smartphone or close Activ Sync also the Media Player closed complet

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I was having this problem, as well as many others when I went to MP11.

Sound playing after close, delayed starts, stuttering, freezing, etc.

I have a Logitech G15, turning off the logitech media display for WMP in the Mini-LCD Manager fixed the sound from continuing after closing, and installing the K-Lite codec pack fixed all my other problems with stutters/freezing.

This is XP SP2, All Current Audio/Video drivers.

Friday, May 02, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I had the same issue, found a "Bluetooth Headset Plugin" and disabled it. It fixed my problem.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:10 PM

• Ok guys I have had a similar problem so I'll give u the specs of the possible culprits involved.

Culprit 1. My Computer...
    3.0Ghz Core2duo
    2Gb Ram (DDR2 800Mhz)
    1x 750Gb WD HD
    2x 500Gb WD HD
    Vista Home Premium (cry all the way)
    Geforece 8800GTS (320Mb)
    800W power sup (forget the brand but its not cheap)
    FireFox 2.0 installed and updated.
    WMP 11 of course with the system.

Culprit 2. My Birthday present...
    Sony Walkman (Mp3 player) 1Gb

Mix together the culprits and you get a problem with windows media player. Now I know that alot of you reading this might quickly point the finger to the walkman installing software or some rubbish on to my computer but hold your horses. The Walkman is a gem because it has its own software that auto runs when you connect it to the computer, It just asks you what folder you want it to auto steal the music from.

So no software, not even a file goes onto the computer from this Mp3 Player, the reason why I mention this player in the first place is because it came along into my computers life at the very same point in time that WMP decided to play april fools jokes on me before april. WMP was working fine. I didn't use this program in any great length though, I dont use the library feature, I use VLC to play my videos (all of them, sorry microsoft but i dont like WMP for this, damn stupid political codec war) and I have only used the cd rip feature.

I hooked up the sony walkman while I had WMP running and let it copy Mp3's from a folder on my computer that I had previously specified. The songs that were being moved were NOT the songs that were playing on my WMP at the time in the background. After I remove this walkman, I find that wmp has recognized it as a device of some sort with music in it, in the sync tab. I'm like "w/e, stfu and just do your job! I didnt ask you to do this... why poke your nose into other devices business etc. w/o my prompting you to do so... etc." suffice to say the argument in my mind ensued for a while, I get fed up with anything microsoft these days! But that is another story so getting back on track.

I ignore the sync tab, go back to my playing, play my music as you do for a while. Then I wanted to show my brother something on the net so Firefox is opened up (of course its mozilla firefox 2.0) and just before the video starts, I click X in the top right hand corner of WMP as you do. And as it doesn't normally do, the damn player keeps playing. It will even loop my music as ive told it to after the last track plays Tongue Tied what the? It acts like its minimised but its not, its closed and no evidence of WMP being open is anywhere except in the processes section of Task Manager.

To microsoft I say, you have done it again. Smile well done, give yourselves a pat on the back for making me feel just that little bit more ripped off with yet another one of your embedded programs in your defective systems! GET IT RIGHT!!!! I WANT A FIX TO THIS WITHIN THE MONTH! It is such a stupid little problem, why do you guys put out software with stupid little problems? why cant you just get it right? Don't hide behind excuses to me either, I am learning programming and it is clear ot me that if people don't rush their code and do proper code planning etc. It all works out well in the end.

In the meantime this customer of yours who has payed VERY good money for this product and other products of yours in the past, is reduced to reopening WMP and clicking STOP or going to the processes in Task Manager and ending the process like its a virus... Did someone say go to linux? haha please dont tempt me, I dont have time to set up something like this but then again holidays is coming up soon.

I3loodTeeth

P.S. Do not even begin to try and start a war with me on this thread about whether or not microsoft is good or bad, I'm just venting a little bit of anger and stating a problem and the process of events that ensued leading upto this problem. I will ignore all flaming posts and only pay attention to posts that are actually helpful to the problem.

Personally I am realy hoping that there is some little setting in WMP that I can change which will fix this problem, but I doubt it as I have combed every inch of the options dialog box.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Finally found the solution to my similar problem that you all are having....

Windows Vista

Open CONTROL PANEL

Double click WINDOWS SIDESHOW

Uncheck anything that has to do with WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER

Monday, June 09, 2008 9:56 AM
  • This is most likely caused by another appplication not allowing WMP to close. Check what apps might be responsible and update or remove them.

I have a Dell M1530 laptop that had this issue, a Dell application for the IR remote was the culprit, I removed it and no longer have the issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Had the same problem.  New to Vista.  Discovered that if I shut down the Vista "Side Bar" the problem goes away, and WMP acts the way it used to in XP.  WMP was not on the sidebar, so I don't know how they're tied together, but I couldn't even shut doen WMP in Task Manager...  It would automatically restart when the sidebar was running in the backround.

Don't know if that helps.

Andy

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:19 AM
  • well, i dont have sidebar running , and i haven't fixed the problem thus far.

one thing i did notice, when media player keeps playing and u kill it in taskmon, the next time it will close on X

these are my findings on the subject.

will keep testing and prodding the fukker to see what makes it tick.

grtzz!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:05 AM
  • Quote does not show in preview, so sorry if this requotes.

"Err...NOT.

If I do not click STOP, then I simply X out of WMP, it plays in the background."  Mandark

Amen and Amen.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Apparently, whoever reports here with the same problem needs to identify their latest installs back to the time the problem was not apparent.  Then they either need to uninstall if unneeded or configure it to not interfere.

Now...mine JUST started happening after I reinstalled my nVidia MB drivers that include (for the first time for me) a Network Access Controller.  Could that have triggered this .dll issue?  Let's see!

Robert

Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:08 PM
  •  hamwbone wrote:

Im running windows vista 32 premium, logitech g15 keyboard, on and XPS 420 with the color lcd slide show on the case ... i dont wanna turn slide show off =(   i have this same problems, audio keeps going. grrr.....

I'm running the same system with a logitech MX 518 optical mouse. I turned off touchpoint software and Windows Media Player behaved nicely, shutting down when I wanted it to. I restarted touchpoint and Windows Media Player started acting up again. I'm pretty sure the culprit in my case is touchpoint and not the lcd on the case.
    • Proposed as answer by Soul_Stealer50 Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:15 PM
  • I think my problem may have been similar, I had Ventrilo set to integrate WMP with it to display what I was watching/listening to.

After taking the integration option off. It went back to normal.

So people, look for anything you have open that could be integrated with WMP in anyway and either disable the option or close the program.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:27 PM
  •  VZTech wrote:

Running Vista Enterprise with Windows Media Player 11.

If I play a video or music from WMP 11 and I close WMP, I can still hear the audio after I have closed the program. The only way to stop it is to kill the task in task manager. I have gone as far as reloading my OS and I still have the same issue. Did some hunting on the support site but I have not found anything relevant to my situation.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what steps they took to correct it.

Im not sure if this question has been properly answered but I checked through the first couple pages of responses and didnt really figure anything out..

I run Windows XP Service Pack 3 and I have been having the problem of my WMP still playing after I closed it and I just recently realized that I had turned on the "Windows Media Player" in the Toolbars section when you right click on your Taskbar. Once I unchecked that option from the Toolbars menu the wmplayer.exe closes after I exit from the program.

I hope this helps anyone because I was going insane at some points trying to figure out why it was happening.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 7:18 AM
  •  Jimmy Knocks wrote:
    I hope this helps anyone
    No. It doesn't help anyone.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 11:17 AM
  •  

I'm having the same problem, have been for months intermittently, and stumbled upon this when  I finally got fed up and decided to search for a fix.

I fiddled around for a bit, noticed some folks were having issues with their MP3 player potentially causing this and wondered if my PocketPC was the issue.  Turns out it 100% is the culprit.  When my PocketPC (Sprint/HTC Touch and also Sprint Mogul) is plugged in, when I close WMP, the GUI disappears but the audio continues to play.  No tiny taskbar icon or anything, only way to make it shut up is kill it through Task Manager.

I unplugged my PocketPC with WMP running and, after using Task Manager to kill it one last time, WMP began closing itself like it should again.

Seems like this may have something to do with WMP wanting to sync music with external devices?  I messed around a bit in Windows Mobile Device Center and WMP to try & change some setting to "not sync music" or something but couldn't find anything relevant.  When I plug in my PocketPC, WMP shows it as a device I can "sync to" and there seems to be no way to prevent this.

I just got the HTC Touch about a week ago, was using the Sprint Mogul before, happened with both -- I would imagine this occurs with any Windows Mobile device, or perhaps any device WMP is capable of syncing to.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  Jimmy Knocks wrote:

Im not sure if this question has been properly answered but I checked through the first couple pages of responses and didnt really figure anything out..

I run Windows XP Service Pack 3 and I have been having the problem of my WMP still playing after I closed it and I just recently realized that I had turned on the "Windows Media Player" in the Toolbars section when you right click on your Taskbar. Once I unchecked that option from the Toolbars menu the wmplayer.exe closes after I exit from the program.

I hope this helps anyone because I was going insane at some points trying to figure out why it was happening.

Jimmy, good find -- if I turn off the "Windows Media Player" taskbar toolbar, I no longer have the problem, even with my PocketPC plugged in.  Tried it a dozen times a dozen ways, PocketPC plugged in before starting WMP, after, during, no issues at all with the toolbar turned off.  Closes & opens just like it should.

The only thing that sucks is that now I don't get the slick play/pause/volume controls in my taskbar when I minimize WMP.

Ah well . . . I really dig the toolbar, I'll probably leave it on & deal with the issue, and I have an AC adapter I can use for my phone to charge it (that's the main reason I leave it plugged into my PC anyway)

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:08 PM
  •  Robert Moody wrote:

Apparently, whoever reports here with the same problem needs to identify their latest installs back to the time the problem was not apparent.  Then they either need to uninstall if unneeded or configure it to not interfere.

Now...mine JUST started happening after I reinstalled my nVidia MB drivers that include (for the first time for me) a Network Access Controller.  Could that have triggered this .dll issue?  Let's see!

Robert

it's a plug in, when i closed down and restarted my WMP, it said WMP did not close properly and that the problem was a faulty plug in, it didn't say which one though. So it disabled all optional plug ins and no more problem. I hope that helps

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:45 PM
  • OK I solved my problem ages ago, the nitty gritty details are a little bit hazy but I'll do the best I can to recollect them for you. My specific problem had to do with a mp3 player of mine, that had installed software on it. When I was transferring files using the software that came with the mp3 player, it would automatically check a designated folder of my choosing and copy onto itself any files that did not already exist on it (strange software that I don't like but anyways). I found myself listening to music in windows media player at the same time, can't recal if it was the same music I was moving though.

It turns out that in the synch tab, there was something different, windows media player was trying to connect to another device. The device had the same manufacturer name as my mp3 player. So there you have it folks, windows media player is not designed to shut down after a certain amount of time if it thinks something else is using it, but cannot verify it. All it takes to rectify this problem is another 20 odd lines of code... come on microsoft, get on top of it please.

I3lood

P.S. I was on windows vista premium when all this happened.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:45 PM
  • It's already 2008 and still there's no patch available to solve this bug... Sad
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:39 AM
  •  

If the player doesn't close itself, that means that some process has told it *not* to quit.  Be it Media Center, an attached device (the sync / mobile device center), or whatnot - for some reason, something on the system told the player not to quit yet.  So the question would boil back to: what is keeping the player open?

As regards the l3lood scenario, the player cannot really make qualitative judgement about what's "useful" or "not useful".  It does attempt to verify that all reference counts are valid, which is what you'd want it to do.  Going beyond that would potentially destabilize other applications.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:10 AM
  •  zachd [MSFT] wrote:

If the player doesn't close itself, that means that some process has told it *not* to quit.

Do you mean that WMP exports some COM objects that dissallow it to close properly?

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:41 AM
  • this worked for me on the 2 computers that were running XP
    "Windows key"+"R" type="msconfig"click on the "Services" Tab check the little box at the bottom of the window that says "Hide All Microsoft Services" next to it and then in the list uncheck "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" then Click "OK" and restart after that everything was fine. I also got the Windows Media Player toolbar back to.
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:52 AM
  • I just started having this issue today after I installed a Logitech ORB web cam.  Closing the media player causes the sound to continue.  I found that if I select File-Exit it properly closes.  Has anyone found a real fix yet?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:45 PM
  • For XP users: open windows media player 11 go to now playing tab, arrow down to options click option,scroll to line that say (Stop playback when switching to different user), check this line, click on apply then ok. Then scroll down to line that say (Start the mini player for file names that contain this text), if checked, uncheck this line, then click apply & ok. this should eliminated your problem with window shut down problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Elliott Friday, April 03, 2009 9:02 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:13 PM
  • I had the same problem as everyone else. For me, the problem seems to be fixed by disabling the WMP 11 for sideshow.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 1:23 AM
  • how do you disable wmp from slideshow? I cannot find this option under wmp or the control panel > windows slide show.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:27 PM
  • I went to services and stopped apple mobile devices.  WMP seems to stop audio when closed upon command by "X"ing out.
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:13 AM
  • semjase said:

For XP users: open windows media player 11 go to now playing tab, arrow down to options click option,scroll to line that say (Stop playback when switching to different user), check this line, click on apply then ok. Then scroll down to line that say (Start the mini player for file names that contain this text), if checked, uncheck this line, then click apply & ok. this should eliminated your problem with window shut down problem.

This worked for me too...and I'm running Vista (Ultimate 32-bit).

Go to (in Windows Media Player): Tools > Options > Player 

Uncheck: "Start the mini Player for file names that contain this text"

Worked perfect for me.

• Proposed as answer by G-Lo Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:28 AM
    Friday, February 06, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Hello everyone. I have a possible solution for you guys to this annoying problem. My WMP 11 sound staying on issues started after I installed the DIVX 7 codec. After searching online for some time I didn't find any help. So here is the solution...

1) Unistall DIVX codec
    2) Download the latest codec from DIVX and install it
    3) Restart your PC
    4) Play a DIVX video for a few seconds to test the sound
    5) Close WMP by pressing the X in the top right corner.

Everything should work fine (the sound should turn off as well) - it worked for me. Before, this action of pressing X left the sound playing. This was because wmplayer.exe was still running in the background. Now the process is killed as it should be on closing WMP. It is my belief that the DIVX codec was still keeping wmplayer.exe running in the background.

Hope this helps someone.

All the best, Rajiv.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:31 PM
  • I've had the same problem for months now - having to hit stop before closing WMP, and still finding the process active in the Task Manager.  It didn't bother me so much because I normally use Media Player Classic so I ignored it.

I also have a PS3 and was using the Media Sharing facility in WMP to stream music and Vids to my PS3. Anyway, I recently bought a Network Attached Storage unit with Media Server built in, so I was able to turn the media sharing in WMP off.

Guess What??

No more problem with WMP. 

It appears (In my case at least) that Windows Media Played need to stay active in the background even if I -X-'d out of it because the Media Server was enabled. That it failed to stop playing when I closed the GUI was an unfortunate side effect.

I don't remember if the sharing was enabled by default, but there's another thing to add to the long list of possible causes.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Increasing RAM speed, will give a solution for this....because on Windows XP, I used to face same issue, on my old celeron - 256mb RAM machine.....i upgraded it, and solve the prob.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 9:54 AM
  • To resummarize:

If the player doesn't close itself, that means that some process has told it *not* to quit.  Be it Media Center, an attached device (the sync / mobile device center), or whatnot - for some reason, something on the system told the player not to quit yet.  So the question would boil back to: what is keeping the player open?

One work-around is to push "Stop" first before pushing Close.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 includes better logic in the player to determine when something that's telling it to stay open (holding a reference count) is no longer around.

Most typically some other software (such as an attached device) would be the cause of something like this.

• Proposed as answer by EvoGamer Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Whilst I appreciate this is a Vista Forum, I have had this exact problem on Server 2008 (which is Vista SP1 at it's core). I solved it with help from this thread, and a TechNet tool called Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx).

It turns out, Mobile Sync utility (mobsync.exe) in Windows Mobile Device Center was continually re-activating WMP, even after I forcibly closed wmplayer.exe via the Task Manager. I killed MobSync (it wasn't detecting my iPAQ at that point anyway), and thus was able to close WMP. Everytime I closed it, I'd get a few lines in Process Monitor that mentioned Task Manager booted the old process, followed by a line stating that MobSync had created a new WMP process.

Nice and simple, Job done.

NB: MobSync might not be the culprit for your PC, it might turn out to be FireFox, or Xbox/PS3 media sharing. It might even be something not yet mentioned. Process Monitor should be able to tell you however. Just remember to only show results that reference C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    • Proposed as answer by EvoGamer Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:55 AM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:55 AM
  • I tried several of the things you guys have described including: unchecking boxes under Control Panel > Windows Slideshow > Windows Media Player (which just said "notify me when new gadgets are installed"), disabling media sharing (unable to do anything because I was on a public WAP), and other possibilities. One of the posters wrote that it has to do with something telling the WMP *not* to close down when you "X" it. I'd have to say that along with the windows kernels (which, by the way is Greek to most of us) are the culprits here. For me, the problem has been happening when running a AVI video thru my 16GB flashdrive and then closing it. In the processes tab, I found something like "Microsoft Sync Center" open which had popped up when I inserted the flashdrive. I had "cancel"d it, but it was still running. When I ended that process, the problem went away. The ffdshow icons in my taskbar disappeared and I have no more problems. Of course, it will happen again next time I plug in my flashdrive, so maybe you guys can figure out a more lasting fix? That's what fixed it for me, but for you it may be another program. Search your processes for unnecessary *known* processes that might be keeping WMP going. Good hunting!
    • Proposed as answer by Bazza43 Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:44 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:34 AM
  • I've recently noticed the same problem...........I found that it was the Realtek HD audio driver on the taskbar that was keeping it running!!
    Every time I "x" out of WMP, it would minimize but the audio would keep playing.
    There may well be a setting in the Realtek player, but I found that after uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, hey presto, WMP stopped every time I clicked the "X" button!!
    I think the Realtek player came with the Vista version of Windows coz I aint had the p.c all that long and I don't remember installing it myself!

Try it and see for yourself, it worked for me,

Good luck.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:54 AM
  • I'm having this problem too...I have XP, SP3, and if i x out or file: exit wmp, it continues to play in the background. if i end task it in processes it stops playing, but i was very surprised to see that about 2 seconds after i end task it, it automatically starts back up. does anyone know what could be causing this? i didnt see anyone else experience the application restarting itself 
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 1:08 AM
  • semjase said:

For XP users: open windows media player 11 go to now playing tab, arrow down to options click option,scroll to line that say (Stop playback when switching to different user), check this line, click on apply then ok. Then scroll down to line that say (Start the mini player for file names that contain this text), if checked, uncheck this line, then click apply & ok. this should eliminated your problem with window shut down problem.

This worked for me too...and I'm running Vista (Ultimate 32-bit).

Go to (in Windows Media Player): Tools > Options > Player 

Uncheck: "Start the mini Player for file names that contain this text"

Worked perfect for me.

Hi all!

This had helped me too... :)

Config:
    Windows Vista Business 32bit
    enrolled in company domain
    HP dc7900CMT

I have a HTC PDA with Windows Mobile 6.1, if that was wired to PC this problem showed up until I made this setting.

Thanks again for the advice, that was very confusing :)

BTW: OMG Microsoft isn't there really a solution to this???
    :P
    • Proposed as answer by garyjonjon Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:24 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:06 PM
  • i have a logitech G15 gaming keyboard. ever since installing the software for it, wmp will not close correctly. i uninstalled the software and wmp stops playing the music and shuts down properly. i'm also using the latest 3.02 driver so the bug is still in the logitech software.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:26 AM
  • getting rid of wmpsideshowgadget.exe in memory made my wmp player behave normally again. this loads with my logitech g15 keyboard. maybe this might help some people narrow thier search.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:11 AM
  • I solved it with the first hint I got here... The Windows SideShow. Look in your Control Panel -> Windows Sideshow. I bet Windows Media Player is marked there...
    Monday, June 15, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Windows SideShow was also the program that caused this to happen to me also. Problem Fixed for now.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:25 PM
  • i have a logitech G15 gaming keyboard. ever since installing the software for it, wmp will not close correctly. i uninstalled the software and wmp stops playing the music and shuts down properly. i'm also using the latest 3.02 driver so the bug is still in the logitech software.

yes, I have the same problem.

i am unsure wether this is a driver problem or a kernel problem but i would like it to be fixed
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:11 PM

Windows Vista

Open CONTROL PANEL

Media Player wouldn't stop for me either after installing the latest drivers for my Logitech G15 keyboard. Sorted now though. Thanks mate.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Mike's resolution worked for me. 

Thanks Mike!!!!

Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:31 AM
  • your kidding me, no one has bothered to disable windows media sharing in WMP :) click on ... Tools->Options->Library->Configure Sharing...->Uncheck both "Find media that others are sharing" & "Share my media"... and bingo, away you go.. no more wmplayer process after you close it...
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:25 PM
  • WMP in full mode. Turn shuffle off Turn repeat off
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Fixed the problem on Vista:

Open WMP, click Tools, Options
    Select the "Library" tab, and click "Configure Sharing..."
    Uncheck "Share my media" and "Find media that others are sharing" checkboxes
    Click OK.

...be sure media player process is not running any longer (taskmanager - wmplayer.exe)

then...

Click Start.
    Right-click Computer, and then click Manage.
    Expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
    Double-click Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and set it to Disabled

Have fun... ^^

Friday, August 14, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I tried this fix from Cherokee_DE and none of these settings were active when i checked,
    So what i did do, is remove a beta version of Firefox 3.5, then to test if it helped, I opened a video in WMP 11 and closed it, and voila! it was fixed,
    it's out of my processes and completely shuts down when i close it now, and doesn't return after i restart my PC either.

So this problem does indeed seem to be tied to firefox, to me anyways. hope this helps.
    I completely dumped firefox for now and will keep using Google's Chrome Browser, been using it for a couple months now and haven't even
    opened forefox or explorer since, so i figured whats the point in keeping it installed, As Chrome seems MUCH More stable than firefox, and better
    and faster as well IMO.

Problem fixed, Done!... Finally!...
    what an annoying problem...
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 5:43 PM

Windows Vista

Open CONTROL PANEL

Worked PERFECT for me so far dude, will reboot later on and check all is well then but looking good thus far. Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Piotr Dobrogost Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:10 PM
  • THANK YOU! I knew it had to be something simple that people were missing :)
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Thanks Ltl_Mike you solve my prob removing things in windows sideshow work fine for me YYYESSSSSSSS
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Do something for others and vote for good answers here!
    Nobody wants to waste his time digging into countless posts only to find solution at the bottom.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Increasing RAM speed, will give a solution for this....because on Windows XP, I used to face same issue, on my old celeron - 256mb RAM machine.....i upgraded it, and solve the prob.

What a nonsense...
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:48 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me, I have dual monitors, vista x64 home premium. I didn't even have to reboot the pc, media player closed no problem after i deselected the check box in windows slideshow box in control panel. Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Necrochain was right.  I ran only the command --  regsvr32 wmp.dll -- and Media Player now closes properly.

- Open a command prompt (go to "Start", select "Run...", type: "cmd" without quotes and hit Enter).
    - In the black cmd window type this:    regsrv32 wmp.dll       and hit Enter.
    - You'll see a successfull registered message, click Ok.
    - Now test MediaPlayer again.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:11 AM
  • your kidding me, no one has bothered to disable windows media sharing in WMP :) click on ... Tools->Options->Library->Configure Sharing...->Uncheck both "Find media that others are sharing" & "Share my media"... and bingo, away you go.. no more wmplayer process after you close it...

Not so much on my Vista SP2 x64 box. I've had sharing turned of for months (probably over a year) and still had the problem.  Re-registering wmp.dll is the only thing that was effective for me.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Necrochain was right.  I ran only the command --  regsvr32 wmp.dll -- and Media Player now closes properly.

- Open a command prompt (go to "Start", select "Run...", type: "cmd" without quotes and hit Enter).
    - In the black cmd window type this:    regsrv32 wmp.dll       and hit Enter.
    - You'll see a successfull registered message, click Ok.
    - Now test MediaPlayer again.

I'll second this solution. Worked fine for my Vista SP2 x64 box. None of the other suggestions did anything for me.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Sounded like a good idea.  Except that on my Vista Home Premium system there is no regsvr32.exe file, anywhere.
    Friday, January 01, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Well although it would not run from CMD window and would not show up in a search of everything including hidden folders I found (elsewhere) that the regsrv32.exe resided in C:\windows\sysWOW64 and the fix does indeed seem to have worked.
    • Proposed as answer by afosawips Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:18 AM
    Friday, January 01, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I think I found an answer to this, IF YOU USE XFIRE. Recently xfire started supporting control of windows media player. I think it might cause this side effect. Try this: - Exit COMPLETELY from xfire. - Delete the xfire in processes if you have to. - Also close the wmplayer process - Now start whatever song you want and see if closing WMP also stops the song being played. Hope I helped ANYONE!
    Molten Ice http://www.netsafehouse.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Molten Ice Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:11 PM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Here's a fix that works too ....

I have Vista Home Premium.

In my case it was related to the DivX codec. While this problem occurred I could see the DivX Settings Manager running in the lower right taskbar even when I closed WMP, it shouldn't be.

So I did this....

press (ctrl + alt + del) .... tab (Processes) .... select (wmplayer.Exe) .... click (End Process)

When starting WMP up again and then closing, the problem was and is still gone. The DivX Settings Manager icon in the taskbar disappeared too when I closed WMP, the way it should.

Hope this helps others.

• Proposed as answer by EyesRed Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:11 AM
  • IE - Tools - manage add-ons

In the drop down tab - currently running add-ons, select "run without permission" disable Windows Media Player

Perfekt was here.
    • Proposed as answer by Per409 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:47 AM
  • Hi there, I found after i uninstalled k lite codec pack wmp started working ok again. Re install k lite codec pack after re boot and every thing works ok now.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:59 AM
  • A bit out-dated I admit, but the issue is most common with Logitech keyboards, in particular any one of the keyboards that have media controls or LCD screens. Resolution is to
    go to the control panel, select Windows slideshow and uncheck anything to do with Windows Media Player. Owners of a G19 for example will no longer be able to use the LCD
    on keyboard to watch movies or play any audio (possibly). Remember the damage is done anytime your system is touched by a logitech keyboard with these features, whether
    you install OEM drivers from the CD or from Microsoft, and it will stay that way even after the keyboard has been removed. This error is part and package with the features that
    Logitech keyboards offer, so they cannot live without each other.

I know for a fact Logitech keyboards do what i have mentioned. As for xfire and a few of the other suggestions, i have no idea, quite possibly... as employees do move on, and their
    methods and tools tend to go with them, so it is more than likely the tool that is included in the driver package to activate this feature has been bundled with some other driver packaging
    they have created for a new employer, its bad practice at best, but its done all the same.
    • Proposed as answer by Enowil Friday, June 18, 2010 11:50 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:40 AM
  • I had this problem. It started a few days ago. Running vista Home Premium and blah blah blah. The problem started after I installed a Sony NWZ S545 mp3 player. Idk why. WMP continued to play after x'ing out of it. Had to open it and click stop to actually close it and get it to stop playing. I reset the defaults in Auto Play and that took care of it.

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:55 PM
  • this happen to me also. and i found its only on windows vista premium and not windows 7 at all thers some WMP thet is errord up or somethng im a skool I.P. admin and  i dont kno y windows vista premium dose it. but i found if u by a windows 7 WMP itl stop but i got myen free coz my bro works for microsoft/mac. so ye i might get the new mac air insted of windows vista. coz windows isnt thet good thers alwas problems. any way hope i helpt u guys. im not shure abowd windows vista basic or unlimertad. just i kno windows 7 progems will help it code a lot betta coz when windows vista come out ther wher a lot of problems an thet but windows 7 come out and evry thng was improved. TIP yor betta of bying parts for windows vista from windows 7 lot cheaper. or wait for anther 4 years for windows 8. or internet TV is comeing out soon im not shure when shod be out this year some times or next. good lack guys.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:31 AM
  • I use a G15 and the issue seems to develop around the slideshow mechanism. In Win 7, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows SideShow and uncheck QVGA. Worked for me.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:31 PM
  • I have been experiencing the same problem.

Windows Vista Home Premium - SP2 fully loaded with all updates

I don't have dual screens, nor Firefox.

I don't use Sidebar.

I do have a Logitech remote KB & Mouse combo.

However, I found by trial and error that the problem only occurs when I have my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson) attached via PC Suite or PC Companion. When the phone is attached then WMPlayer does not exit cleanly.

When the phone is not attached it works just fine. So I just unplug my phone and only attach it to the PC when I want to sync contacts, diary etc.

I don't know why this is, but perhaps it may help people cleverer than me to figure it out.

Possibly it's all the same problem caused by a variety of software??

Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:41 AM
  • This problem started for me when my new Logitech software was installed, but stopped for me when I disable Windows SlideShow (which I disabled because its running as a 'so called' user mode driver the dumbest concept I've encountered. Its either a driver, a service or an application damn it >.<).

On the surface it seems that the issue is caused by the fact that the WUMD loads the windows media player core to used with Windows SlieShow so when you end the WMPlayer application its supporting functionality is still loaded into memory (for the Windows SlideShow Device) and it jus faithfuly carrys on doing what it was last told (which makes complete sense when I consider how I might wish to use Windows SlideShow).

So the short of it is, stop your playback before closing the client application (or disable Windows SlideShow http://www.webtlk.com/2010/02/04/how-to-turn-off-windows-slideshow-in-windows-7-and-windows-vista/).

Its not a bug as far as I can see, its a working by design. In this case the design is that you kick off a stream to play on your Windows SlideShow device and then you can close the computer side front end and watch on you device.

I am however only a Microsoft software Developer and not a Microsoft Representitive so someone official please feel free to comment.

Kind Regards, V Website: http://www.kvkconsultancy.co.uk/
    • Proposed as answer by KVK Consultancy Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:52 PM
    • Edited by KVK Consultancy Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:55 PM Adding link to disable windows SlideShow
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:50 PM
  • alright people,LISTEN UP!

in my case i have a codec pack installed.it is the k-lite codec pack 583.it runs always when i 'm playing media,of course.

about an hour ago,i opened the movie avatar(mkv) for the first time and the problem appeared.the same symptoms as you all,no matter if i rebooted or changed various settings.i came here.but i didn 't try anything.i just uninstalled the pack,rebooted installed the new one (6.5),rebooted and now everything works.no problems.i tried movies,music,anything and the problem doesn 't appear.so if you have codec packs reinstall them.unfortunately windows media player can 't be uninstalled and reinstalled,otherwise the problem might have been fixed more easily.

anyway,if someone wants to notify me about this issue, my email is my name.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Found on another board and was very frustrated that MS didn't acknowledge this as an issue

The problem lies with Windows Sideshow. Disable Windows Media Player on Windows Sideshow and it should then close properly.

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Windows Sideshow > Windows Media Player

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Try using your restore, it worked for me.
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Go to sysytems restore and set it to an earlier time, before your problem occured, it worked for me.
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:24 PM
  • The suggestion by Jimmy Knock regarding the Taskbar, Windows Media Player toolbar worked for me - thanks.

I use Windows Vista Ultimate, and had this issue for several years, but this resolved it.  Just got sick of it and decided to try to fix it.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:19 PM
  •  VZTech wrote:

This worked for me - running, Windows Vista Ultimate, problem solved.
    • Proposed as answer by djohn119 Monday, March 07, 2011 10:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by djohn119 Monday, March 07, 2011 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Replying in advance I would like to say you are all insightful and very smart.  However, the answer to the question has been explained in ridiculous detail.  Yes, its a problem with the core programming, yes it is caused by programs calling on the kernel in a serious programming flaw.  Very simply is that this question has been answered already.  Theres no need to debate, because your all agreeing with the same thing! ;) you are all smart and genius with computers.  Simple way to fix this problem as it has already been posted

click your windows icon in the bottom left

type windows sideshow and hit enter

uncheck anything checked that says media player, itunes, any media player music or video doesnt matter shut them down. 

click ok

reboot 

fixed... 

:) sometimes the simplest path is a straight line

Monday, March 07, 2011 10:15 AM
  •  VZTech wrote:

This worked for me - running, Windows Vista Ultimate, problem solved.

Replying in advance I would like to say you are all insightful and very smart.  However, the answer to the question has been explained in ridiculous detail.  Yes, its a problem with the core programming, yes it is caused by programs calling on the kernel in a serious programming flaw.  Very simply is that this question has been answered already.  Theres no need to debate, because your all agreeing with the same thing! ;) you are all smart and genius with computers.  Simple way to fix this problem as it has already been posted

click your windows icon in the bottom left

type windows sideshow and hit enter

uncheck anything checked that says media player, itunes, any media player music or video doesnt matter shut them down. 

click ok

reboot 

fixed... 

:) sometimes the simplest path is a straight line

Monday, March 07, 2011 10:16 AM
  • I use a G15 and the issue seems to develop around the slideshow mechanism. In Win 7, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows SideShow and uncheck QVGA. Worked for me.
    Has anyone else run into this w/ win7 SP1?? Windows SideShow does not exist on my OS.
    Friday, July 08, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi mastapat11

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1. My problem was the related to Logitech, I have a G15 keyboard and MX 518 mouse. I recently installed the Logitech Gaming Software which most likely caused the issue. I've unticked the gadgets for both devices and the problem seems to have gone away. My suggestion would be to check if any of your peripherals support gadgets and then check the software for those devices.

Thanks for the help guys, helped end my frustration with WMP...

Cheers
    Tom 

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:44 AM
  • I am facing the same issue. i too have a Logitech G110 Gaming keyboard. Following Tom's instructions, my issue is resolved. Thanks
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Here's a fix that works too ....

I have Vista Home Premium.

In my case it was related to the DivX codec. While this problem occurred I could see the DivX Settings Manager running in the lower right taskbar even when I closed WMP, it shouldn't be.

So I did this....

press (ctrl + alt + del) .... tab (Processes) .... select (wmplayer.Exe) .... click (End Process)

When starting WMP up again and then closing, the problem was and is still gone. The DivX Settings Manager icon in the taskbar disappeared too when I closed WMP, the way it should.

Hope this helps others.

EyesRed suggestion worked for me!
    • Edited by Gramor Friday, October 21, 2011 10:41 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 10:40 PM
  • I tried the mr. fix it and diagnostic, it works and then doesn't work again. there is file corruption or bug in the software. Either some program like real player or divx corrupted the windows kernal and associated the files

Now after rebooting and shutting down computer, the windows media is now no longer opening AGAIN.

So it's intermedittanly not working.

The problem started after installing DIVX player and real player upgrades.

It's software conflict issue or some program has disabled windows media player from opening.

current status ===no solution

It's microsoft problem. i just wasted 1 hour of my time reading b.s. solutions like going to fix registries etc.

Microsoft has billions and lots of phd. programmers working for them, either they don't want to fix it or some virus or something installed.
    lots of spyware in real player, media player, DIVX palyer all adverising etc. all your videos you see is sent back to the server. no privacy corporate america GREED.

microsoft has no intention of fixing this BUG.
    I use free open source media viewers like VLC

http://vlcmediaplayerfreedownload.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_player_software

there are now companies who put viruses in your computer and charget you money to remove the virus scams going on.

these are free software and has no spyware or trojans or viruses that corporate versions..only microsoft would NOT fix a bug like this. microsoft has bilions of PROFITS and cannot afford to fix simple bug like this. media player is essential part o the operating system and they want people to pay for it.? Corporate GREED is the reason for the bugs

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Not sure if I can help any but just as was reading this thread to help myself out with the same problem, I was going through my hidden icons in the lower right corner and out of my OCD concerning background programs running, I shut down the Amazon MP3 downloader and sure enough, BAM no more music.  Weird.
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi There,

I too recently had the same error. Reading later on in this post about readyboost being the issue I first checked that by unistalling the USB I was using for that dedication. It was not that. So I started digging around in the services.msc and checked all those things related to windows media player. I had turned some feature off in services to help performance issue. I found that disbling networking services helped me to close WMP and fix this issue. I also stopped network sharing and file sharing from inside WMP after bring down the media sharing options using the arrow directly under Library tab in WMP. By tuning off all unused options there this helped my problem. I also recommend playing around with windows media in services.msc and disabling or making options manual that you feel may not be needed. Also speed up the loading and playing of WMP also. Good luck. Hope it works for others too.

Peace Out.

• Proposed as answer by radact Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by radact Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:03 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Same problem here, but definately caused by the Logitech G15 Keyboard on my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine.

I encountered this when using MP3Tag and Windows Media Player as the default external player. I could play a song and closed media player, but if I altered the tag information and tried to save it, MP3Tag would report that the file (being the mp3) was still in use. Windows Media Player and the Sideshow gadget were still active in memory, still hooked on to the mp3 file.

Solution

Open Control Panel, then Windows Sideshow.

Untick Logitech Gamepanel Devices/Windows Media Player.

Now Media Player and the Sideshow Gadget both close automatically when Media Player is closed. The only downside is that by unticking the Sideshow option, the G15 doesn't display the Media Player controls on the LCD panel. I can live with that.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:10 AM