none
Brother HL-1030 printer setup in Win7

Question

• Hi, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place...

I have a Brother HL-1030 laser printer that has been a fabulous work-horse printer for me.  The printer only has a parallel port (no USB).

I recently purchased a new computer (Dell) with Windows 7 on it.  The new computer does not have a parallel printer port.

I purchased a parallel port to USB printer cable, plugged the printer in but Win7 only recognized it as an "unknown device" in control panel's "devices and printers" and the printer will not print.

It seems that through windows updates there is only supported drivers for HL-1040 and not HL-1030.

Any suggestions on how I could get this printer to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Razzy

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe you'd have better luck with a parallel port adapter card. I presume that your Dell has a free PCI slot.

A quick look at www.newegg.com shows a number of cards, with claims of Win7 support. (Usually through drivers for Vista. Should be OK.)

However, I see that the newest drivers Brother offers date from 2001, for XP. I haven't scoured the Web, but you may have trouble finding proper drivers for a printer that old. I verify your statement about Windows Update.

Sorry that I can't be more encouraging.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Hi bobkn,

Thanks for your reply and your suggestion to get a parallel port adapter card...it just seems like there should be a way without going that route....but maybe not.

Any thought as to why MS would have released a driver for HL-1040 and not the HL-1030? Any chance on getting one?

Win7 seems to recognize the device as USB, just as "unknown device".  I tried calling brother and after 30mins on hold was told that that printer is no longer supported...seems like a waste of a perfectly good printer!

Do you think I would have any luck installing the printer/driver via a virtual OS of winxp in win7?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

-Razzy

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:54 AM
  • You can install the XP driver from the XP CD if the Windows 7 machine is 32bit or connect to the internet and use Add Printer to install the device using the 1040 driver available when  selecting the Windows Update button.    Brother would be the best source for a compatible driver that would work best with the device.  Select the USB port which was created when you connected tha cable to the device.

If no USB port exists it's possible the unknown device is the chipset on the cable itself which would require a vendor provided driver.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Alan Morris provided the authoritative response, but to amplify:

As far as I know, Microsoft does not write drivers for third-party hardware. (MS may produce generic drivers, but some hardware cannot use them.) The drivers on Windows Update are provided by the manufacturers, not MS.

You may find a USB-to-parallel adapter that works, with the proper drivers. (I mean drivers for the adapter, not the printer.) I suggested the PCI card because a little online reading suggested that the USB adapters appear to be unlikely to work. (Some may.) I understand that a lot of people would prefer not to break into the PC box. Installing a PCI card isn't difficult, but it may be intimidating if you have no experience.

It's too bad that manufacturers don't support their old hardware on new OSes. I guess that they find that the good will is not worth the expense.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I'm trying to solve the same problem on Windows 7 64 bit. I have a parallel to USB cable, I installed the Brother 1040 driver, and the printouts are blank. I agree, this printer has been great and I'd hate to lose it. What next? Can I do something with the router or OSX 10.4 on the lan?

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Hi Razzy8,

I cannot find Brother HL-1030 printer driver download link for Windows 7, you may check the following link:

http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/default.aspx?PGID=1&R3ModelID=DCP1000

I also find that Brother HL-1030 printer needs to install the driver for Brother HL-1430 driver understand Windows Vista, you may check the following link:

http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/windowsvista/europe.html#1230

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Maybe, you may also try Brother HL-1430 driver for Windows 7 for Brother HL-1030 from the following link:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/gb/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=eu&c=gb&lang=en&prod=hl1430_eu

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If it does not work, please contact Brother Support from the following link for further assistance.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Support/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hi bobkn & Arthur,

Thanks for your response.

OK, so I followed bobkn's advice and I did get a PCI parallel port adaptor card and it installed without difficulty.

The problem in that neither the HL-1040 or the HL-1430 driver's seem to work...nothing prints, just flashing lights.

Also I spoke to Brother and they will not help since the HL-1030 is not supported on Win7 only Win Vista...not sure why.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

-Razzy

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Often, Vista drivers will support WIn7.

I suppose that you've already seen:

For HL-1030 and HL-1230 Users:
    Please use the "Brother HL-1430" driver and install using the "Add a printer" wizard.

You may have to extract the drivers (the freeware 7Zip works well), and then install the printer using the "add a printer" device feature in Win7. I've not tried that.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Hi Razzy,

I am encountrering the same problem, did you have any luck solving it?

Monday, December 06, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Hi Caroles,

Any luck solving your problem with 64 bit?

Monday, December 06, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hey guys,

I have the same printer and found it a waste to trow away so I read solutions but it I bundeled the info :)

Not sure if you guys still need it though, but here it goes.

Download HL-1430 driver for Vista OSX **/***

**If you have WIN7 32bit installed, download the Windows Vista driver.

***If you have WIN7 32bit installed, download the Windows Vista driver.

Create a folder and name it Brother HL1030

Download Driver at http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/eu/gb/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=eu&c=gb&lang=en&prod=hl1430_eu

After you downloaded the file, browse to the install(.exe) file, in your created folder, and unzip (right click on file and unzip here)

1. Next go to Start Menu -> Devices and Printers

2. Click on the 'Add a Printer' button

3. Add a local printer

4. Use an existing port:

*Now when you have the option to change your port but it is set good as it is*

LPT1: (Printer Port)

5. Choose in the menu Manufacturer: Brother

6. Scroll down in the Printers menu and choose: Brother HL 1040

7. Then you click on Have Disk...

8. Browse... then browse to the Brother HL1030 folder you created and unzipped the file

9. choose BROHLA1A.INF file and hit Open

10. CLick Ok

11. You should see in the menu that the driver is not digitally signed!---> THIS IS OK and normal :)

12. Click Next and windows should give a message saying that the driver may not work proparly and may not work at all... click ok

13. Also click ok when windows gives another message that the driver is not recognised or supported by microsoft, just click ok

The messages popping up are just because you are using a different driver for the printer you are using and also because WIN 7 does not support the HL1030 series anymore.

14. You can then choose to share your printer on your local network or not, choice is yours.

15. Install complete when you get a 'printed' test page

Good luck installing

Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Still no luck on Win64. I tried installing the printer again on Win7 32bit, a fresh install. After searching for "More drivers" in the Windows install printer dialog box, I tried HL-1040, HL-1430 and HL-1435 drivers (which work for others); none worked. Windows thinks the printer has an "out of paper" error but the printer does not. I tried turning it off & on, doing the soft reset... no luck. Right now my Mac prints on it better! Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Found the error for both machines. Must switch to Port USB000x when you use a USB cable, not LPT1. HL-1435 driver works.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Granted this is an old printer, but I have several brand new cartridges to use up.

I struggled with this one for a while before coming across Stroggel's post and as long as you download the 32-bit or 64-bit driver that your Win7 requires, it works like a charm.

My printer is connected via a bi-directional USB to Parallel Cable and the Port had to be changed to USB001 Virtual Printer Port ... and once that change was made it prints perfectly.

Three cheers for Stroggel

GoodGuy

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hi Stroggel

Thanks so much for this - works great after much faffing. Hugely appreciated. I agree with others - it's tragic to give up such great printers just cos the manufacturer no longer wants to support legacy hardware.

You are a star.

Best

Mark

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:38 PM
  • aw guys,

just sorted out the HL 1030 with my father-in-law, with us both agreeing that it would be a shame to not be able to use it anymore (pretty indestructible, this printer - he just fixed the paper feed with some draft-excluder). It's purring nicely on LPT1, with the Vista HL1430 driver - THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your posts and great help. I love the internet...

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:43 PM