none
CAN NOT REMOVE HUGE RED AREAS OF FRAGMENTED FILES THROUGH DEFRAG

Question

• After searching internet a few days ago, I went to do my normal defrag and disk clean up and was horrified to see huge blocks in red (fragmented files)...I have run and rerun defrag to no avail.
    Is there anyway to find these and delete them from my disk?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Friday, July 03, 2009 1:04 PM

All replies

• Question:  do you have enough free-space on the drive that you're defragging?  You need 10~15% of the drive (free-space) available for Defrag to function properly.

If free-space is not an issue there are a few things you can do before running the Defrag again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A. First, run the chkdsk /F and/or /R utility before running the Defrag.

I don't know how familiar you are with running the chkdsk utility.  There are a few different ways and depending on the options (Fix and/or Repair) that you choose - I'll just say it will be time consuming.  The Fix option usually doesn't take that long, depends on how much data is on the drive.  The Repair option takes quite a longer time, also depends on how much data is on the drive:

1.  If you have the Start Menu (Avanced Properties) set for Run to be on the Start Menu: Start>Run> type in chkdsk C: /F [and/or] /R (ie. chkdsk /F /R) and then OK.  You'll get a Command Prompt Windows and it will say:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type in 'y' for yes and the C Drive will will be check for errors (Fixed and/or Repaired) the next time you restart your system.

2.  Start>All Programs>Accessores>Command Prompt:  type in chkdsk /F [and/or] /R.  No need to type in C: - you're already in the C: Directory. (if you want to check another drive besides the C drive you'll have to type - chkdsk X: 

You'll get the same scenario as in #1.

3.  In My Computer, right-click on the drive that you want to check>Properties>Tools tab>Error checking - click on "Check now...", in the following popup for Check disk options check one or both of the options, then click Start, click on YES on the following popup then restart your system.

B. Temporarily disable the Virtual Memory paging file: Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Performance - click on Settings for Performance Options>Advanced tab>Virtual Memory - click on Change> with the drive highlighed in the drive section - click on the "no paging file" Radio button>SET>OK, then APPLY>OK.  You'll be prompted for a restart.

C. If you have Hibernation enabled in the Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate - temporarily disable it.

D. Temporarily disable System Restore: Control Panel>System>System Restore tab - uncheck the "Enable System Restore...".> APPLY, then OK.   If you want to do some Restore Point clean-up:  right-click on the the drive>Properties>Disk Cleanup>More Options tab>System Restore - click on Clean up and OK SEVERAL times (alternating between the regular ENTER key and the ENTER key on the Number pad will help you do it quicker).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The above suggestions should help with cleaning up your entire system quite a bit and also help the defrag work better and faster.

If you still have all of those RED blocks after running the defrag again you should get some type of popup with information that tells you which files and/or folders could not be defragged.  That might help you in figuring out which files you can delete.

If you need more help, let us know.

Good luck.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: STANDARD up top for standing up and getting stuff done; 24" WIDESCREEN below for kicking back, layin on the floor, watchin TV and playing around; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 5:17 PM
  • do a google search for defraggler.  The xp defrag util is pretty bad.  Much improved in win7.
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:21 AM
  • I am also having a similar problem.  Mine is related to using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro in an attempt to modify a PDF file ... with no success.  After this process, I also went to defrag, and in the program I use (Defragger), it shows a rather large block of boxes, toward the end of the drive space, as having something there.  The color is not red, but a softer version.  Normal defragged boxes are blue and op. system is brown.  I've used Defragger now 3 times, and nothing changes.  My vacant storage space does not appear to reflect this since it's capacity has not changed.

I've also done the chkdsk process, with the 5 steps ... twice ... and still shows up in Defragger.  But, when using XP defragger, nothing seems to change with all used boxes also being blue.

I don't know if it is a corrupt data file, or whether or not its an unfragged file; and with both defraggers giving me different indications, am lost in the woods.

Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Install Defraggler (defraggler.com) and list what files are fragmented please.

- JoelbX            (Help me build a new PC)
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Computer tips | ----- | Email me | 'Gadget' programs
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:13 PM
  • That's the one I use; but know not how to determine what the large file is composed of.  How do I determine that?
    Thanks
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Click on the file list tab in the middle of defraggler.

To figure out what color boxes mean what, click Help->Drive Map Legend.

are the 'softer red' boxes really purple? If so then those are not fragmented files.

- JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Email me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Thanks.  Yes, they are a purple color ... something about Reserved MFT Space ??????
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Yep, those aren't really files, it is a reserved space in the partition makes for the Master file table.

That is your solution right there, those files can't be defragged, so there is nothing to worry about.

Email me | 'Gadget' programs                (Help me build a new PC )
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Why did they show up in the last day or so when I was using Adobe Acrobat? 
    They've never been there beforel. 
    Out of the 12 rows of little boxes I show, a total of 2 lines are now suddenly purple; whereas prior to this, the boxes were all white in those rows. 

Can this LARGE 'file' ... or whatever it is ... be eliminated?

Funny ... with XP's version of defrag, they don't show up. 

Will they (storage boxes) be utilized in the future when I want to install more programs ... or are they totally useless now? 
    The former 'system' files, the brown ones, are still where they've been from the day the partition was set up. 
    Don't mean to be a million questions, but all this seems strange ... having occurred in just the last day.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Yes, weird...

The MFT is part of the partition and cannot be deleted.

In XP defrag the purple boxes in defraggler will show up as green.

Like I said, it's nothing to worry about.

Email me | 'Gadget' programs               (Help me build a new PC)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:22 PM