none
Windows 7 Enterprise License Server

Question

• HI all,

I have installed Windows 7 Enterprise (90 days trial version). After we purchase Enterprise License, we have installed license key server. When I try to activate Windows 7 trial version through command:

slmgr -skms  license server

slmgr -ato

The commands are successful, but it still keep the trial license key. 

Does anyone know how to make it Windows 7 using the new license server?

Thanks,

Stephen

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The Trial Edition of Windows 7 contains timers for the evaluation period, it not support to be put into production.

It is not intended to be covertable.  You should be using the Volume License edition of Windows with your KMS host machine, not the trial editions.

Even if the key is changed the evaluation timers still exist in the trial edition, since you have a Volume License key you should have access to Volume license media.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:55 PM

All replies

• /ipk product_key

dont you want to run this first?

/ipk product_key

Attempts to install a 5×5 product key. The product key provided by the parameter is confirmed valid and applicable to the installed operating system. If not, an error is returned.

If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced.

To prevent instability in the license service, the system should be restarted or the Software Protection Service should be restarted.

This operation must be run from an elevated command prompt, or the Standard User Operations registry value must be set to allow unprivileged users extra access to the Software Protection Service.

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Thanks,

Do you mean that I cannot activate the Windows 7 by KMS server? I know the license key works, but our central computing services does not want to distribute the license key to user, it must use KMS to activate it. Is there any way?

Stephen 

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:42 PM
  • From what i read it seems like you would run that command on the computer first. Then the other 2 you ran.

heres where i got that from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793433.aspx

because you said its still keeping the trial key, the 2 commands your running never replace the key just activate the one there.

the /ipk command looks like it will replace the key there with what you specify

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Hello,

The Trial Edition of Windows 7 contains timers for the evaluation period, it not support to be put into production.

It is not intended to be covertable.  You should be using the Volume License edition of Windows with your KMS host machine, not the trial editions.

Even if the key is changed the evaluation timers still exist in the trial edition, since you have a Volume License key you should have access to Volume license media.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

I know that it works if I input Enterprise license key. My point is that we don't want to distribute the license key to end users. I have tried /ipk and /upk, but it did not work. 

anyone has a good solution?

Thanks,

Stephen

Friday, July 29, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

I know that it works if I input Enterprise license key. My point is that we don't want to distribute the license key to end users. I have tried /ipk and /upk, but it did not work. 

anyone has a good solution?

Thanks,

Stephen

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:11 PM