none
Why is the FIx Menu in Windows Photo and Fax Viewer gone?

General discussion

• I don't know about any of you, but I found the fix menu in the photo viewer to be one of the better improvements in Vista.  I liked being able to crop and fix red eye/color of an image without having to open int in another program, it was quick and easy.  If you agree you should post to the comments thread so that they will bring it back.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:49 AM

All replies

• I just found it missing too...it was the best to remove red eye!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Yes, bring back Red Eye fix menu in Windows Photo PLEASE!!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I just discovered this too.  I used this feature in Vista regularly to crop my pics and really miss it.

I hope the feature is restored for the final version
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:42 PM
  • The Fix menu is not going to be in the default photo viewer:  it is simply a viewer.  If you want the fix options, download the Windows Live Photo Gallery app from get.live.com.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Why would you remove something that worked? Why would I want a to use anything from live.com ?  Thats pretty sad.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:57 AM
  • I know it's not ideal, but here's the cut and dry of it:

1 - Windows itself is used by many organizations, government and business, and because of that, updates to it are slow and usually don't come out until service packs.

2 - Microsoft is trying not to get sued for bundling features with the OS that would get them in more anti-trust issues.

Therefore, to address both issues, they make it a seperate download.  Since it's not an integral part of windows, the Live apps can be updated much more frequently to add services, features, fixes, etc.  Plus, since it's not bundled, they won't get in hot water (especially in the EU).

Like I said, this isn't an idea situation, but at least there's some reason behind it.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I fully agree. I feel that that Red Eye removal within Photo Viewer was great. I hope Microsoft puts this and the other "fix" features back. Also I used to just download all my photos to a folder, including small movies. The Photo viewer used to just start playing the videos too. I would just press the right ( or left ) cursor keys to go through the pictures ...Then any small videos would play. iThis too is gone. Now I need to Select all the videos and then do open with media player. Again a simple feature that now gone is greatly missed. Please put this feature back. It was a great way to just show the family photos and short 10 second video clips we and I am sure most people take with their digital camera.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 11:02 PM
  • They won't be putting any features 'back', because if they do, the government will sue them again.

This (and other functionality) to be solely in the "Windows Live Essentials".... essential apps that are only available at get.live.com.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Nonsense.  update speeds for organizations have absolutely nothing to do with the light functionality that was afforded by including the fix set.  Nor is this a 'bundling' issue.  MSFT simply wants its users to download Live so that it can 1) compete in an increasingly cloud-based topology, an 2) inject other services that ARE a part of the bundling issues, particularly in the EU.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Yeah, bring it back, it was a good feature.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I know it's not ideal, but here's the cut and dry of it:

1 - Windows itself is used by many organizations, government and business, and because of that, updates to it are slow and usually don't come out until service packs.

2 - Microsoft is trying not to get sued for bundling features with the OS that would get them in more anti-trust issues.

Therefore, to address both issues, they make it a seperate download.  Since it's not an integral part of windows, the Live apps can be updated much more frequently to add services, features, fixes, etc.  Plus, since it's not bundled, they won't get in hot water (especially in the EU).

Like I said, this isn't an idea situation, but at least there's some reason behind it.

So is that why they removed the option to print a selected page(s) out of a 22 page .tif (fax) . We are trying to save paper here!!

Windows XP picture and fax viewer is 100% better!!  I guess I need to copy the old one over.. 

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Thanks the Brava viewer makes up for everything that was removed.  We are just very large with .tiff files for efax's and document storage.  WindowsXP fax and photo view is a very nice app too back m$ done away with the option to save paper and select a page to view.

Thanks now we have a solution. 

Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Please bring it back- so much easier than opening up the gallery to do it!

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Oh I see, I think what I was really missing was the Photo Gallery.

Only a day or two ago EU regulators in Brussels fined Microsoft $732M USD essentially for not honoring a promise they made earlier to offer a choice of internet browsers.   What puzzles me is why they should have been called on to do so in ther first place.  As long as the OS doesn't prevent other browsers from being installed and run, where was the damage happening?  How is the consumer being harmed?   If you don't already know that you can download install any of several alternative browsers in under five minutes, then being able to choose from a menu of browsers isn't all that meaningful to you.  As a consumer I like many things about the Windows OS and there are some things I don't like.  But I also accept responsibility for learning about my options and making my choices accordingly.  Although I understand why MS has made the photo-editing feature a little harder to get, I would rather they didn't have to do that just to deflect potential litigation.

Friday, March 08, 2013 5:18 AM