none
SYSTEM RESTORE...........UNSPECIFIED ERROR OCCURED???

Question

• 9 MONTHS AND COUNTING FOR THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM..................I HAVE SHUT DOWN NORTON AND RESTORED AN ERROR OCCURED......................VISTA ULTIMATE 32 IE8!!!!!!!

Monday, July 13, 2009 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, I want to make sure whether you encountered the "an unspecified error occurred during system restore" error message while storing the system. If so, we might perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Create a new system restore point for testing

Check the Volume Shadow Copy service

1. Click Start, input services.msc (without quotation marks) to Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Try to find the Volume Shadow Copy and double click this item.

3. Change the Startup type to Automatic.

3. Restart the computer and test the issue again.

Run the system file checker

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

5. Repeat the step 1~3 and in the In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. Type Y and click Enter again.

7. Remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1. Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5. Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, I want to make sure whether you encountered the "an unspecified error occurred during system restore" error message while storing the system. If so, we might perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Create a new system restore point for testing

Check the Volume Shadow Copy service

1. Click Start, input services.msc (without quotation marks) to Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Try to find the Volume Shadow Copy and double click this item.

3. Change the Startup type to Automatic.

3. Restart the computer and test the issue again.

Run the system file checker

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the Start Pearl, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

5. Repeat the step 1~3 and in the In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. Type Y and click Enter again.

7. Remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1. Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5. Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:28 AM
  • andy song; i tried the first one and nothing; i opened command prompt and even htough i am the administrator it isn't coming up administrator; haven't tried step 3. this is so sad, windows xp ran great, never never had a problem!
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:36 PM
  • i ran the command prompt nd all came back fine...............i then went ahead with the safe mode option and it doesn't work; i tried 4 times and nothing
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:24 PM
  • the o/s that comes with system is at fault...................my third call to lenovo has finally stated they will need to send out new o/s cd's as the partitions are not their for system restore even though they already sent me a set of cd's and they also not have the restore/f8/f11 partition's!

hopefully in a few weeks time i'll be able to restore my system without killing myself looking for answers! 5 hours today 30 hours totall since i first tried.........web sites/lenovo/microsoft/norton/vista and a cement wall that needs repair!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:11 PM