none
Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using DVD

Question

• A couple of years ago, I purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack (three licenses) and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on three PCs in my home, replacing Vista Ultimate on each.  A few weeks later, I realized that I could no longer use Remote Desktop on these machines with Windows Home Server, because that feature is not enabled in the Home Premium version.  So I've purchased a full retail Windows 7 Professional 64-bit DVD, and I wish to upgrade one of the home PCs from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using this disk - I'm assuming that I'll be able to do this through some upgrade path without performing a fresh install and losing all of my existing registries.

My question is this:  When I upgrade a PC from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using a new full retail Windows 7 Professional DVD, does that free up the Home Premium license from that PC so that I can now upgrade a different PC from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium using my Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack DVD?  Can I activate the license automatically on the new PC, or do I have to call Microsoft? 

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

• "AntiguaGuy" wrote in message news:099515d2-6fdc-49e5-b8fa-16f7f0a0d952...

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack (three licenses) and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on three PCs in my home, replacing Vista Ultimate on each.  A few weeks later, I realized that I could no longer use Remote Desktop on these machines with Windows Home Server, because that feature is not enabled in the Home Premium version.  So I've purchased a full retail Windows 7 Professional 64-bit DVD, and I wish to upgrade one of the home PCs from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using this disk - I'm assuming that I'll be able to do this through some upgrade path without performing a fresh install and losing all of my existing registries.

My question is this:  When I upgrade a PC from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using a new full retail Windows 7 Professional DVD, does that free up the Home Premium license from that PC so that I can now upgrade a different PC from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium using my Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack DVD?  Can I activate the license automatically on the new PC, or do I have to call Microsoft?

You should be able to upgrade to Pro using the Anytime Upgrade procedure.

Since your license for Pro is a Full Retail one, (NOT an Upgrade) that will free up the Home Premium Upgrade license for use elsewhere.
    You will almost certainly have to use telephone activation to re-use that license – and speak to an operator.

telephone activation (operator calls)
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

If you do not want a fresh installation, please upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    This issue relates to license, pleaes call Microsoft Customer Service.

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:16 AM

All replies

• "AntiguaGuy" wrote in message news:099515d2-6fdc-49e5-b8fa-16f7f0a0d952...

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack (three licenses) and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on three PCs in my home, replacing Vista Ultimate on each.  A few weeks later, I realized that I could no longer use Remote Desktop on these machines with Windows Home Server, because that feature is not enabled in the Home Premium version.  So I've purchased a full retail Windows 7 Professional 64-bit DVD, and I wish to upgrade one of the home PCs from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using this disk - I'm assuming that I'll be able to do this through some upgrade path without performing a fresh install and losing all of my existing registries.

My question is this:  When I upgrade a PC from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional using a new full retail Windows 7 Professional DVD, does that free up the Home Premium license from that PC so that I can now upgrade a different PC from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium using my Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack DVD?  Can I activate the license automatically on the new PC, or do I have to call Microsoft?

You should be able to upgrade to Pro using the Anytime Upgrade procedure.

Since your license for Pro is a Full Retail one, (NOT an Upgrade) that will free up the Home Premium Upgrade license for use elsewhere.
    You will almost certainly have to use telephone activation to re-use that license – and speak to an operator.

telephone activation (operator calls)
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

If you do not want a fresh installation, please upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    This issue relates to license, pleaes call Microsoft Customer Service.

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:16 AM