none
Disk Management - Cannot Extend Volume - Grayed out

Question

• Hello,
    i can not select extend volume as it is grayed out.
    im wanting to extend my windows 7 partition into the unallocated space to the right of it, but cant.

i also have a small 30mb partition left over im wanting to extend the xp partition into it, this is also grayed out.

please help.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

If you want to extend volume, you should make sure there is no partition between the original partition and free space (PS: it will not work if the free space is in "Extended partition"). Attached a simple screenshot in my test machine:
    http://cid-9c88b7cb6fa32a48.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Extend.jpg

If you have dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7, I suggest you create new partition with left free space and mount this partition as a folder to XP (or Windows 7 ) partition which is quite easy.

What do you think about it?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32 AM

All replies

• The volume extension is meant for RAID arrays etc. Not the boot volume.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, x600, more details on my site
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:27 AM

• Hi there,

If you want to extend volume, you should make sure there is no partition between the original partition and free space (PS: it will not work if the free space is in "Extended partition"). Attached a simple screenshot in my test machine:

If you have dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7, I suggest you create new partition with left free space and mount this partition as a folder to XP (or Windows 7 ) partition which is quite easy.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32 AM

• Hi there,

The OP is right on this one, and the replies are not accurate. I too have Win 7 installed on C: and on its own during setup is used only 100gb of my 1tb drive. So I have 900gb unallocated.

Win 7 will not allow C: to be extended to use the unallocated space. The option is grayed out.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:26 PM
  • The only way to get all the space in use, is to install it and use the full disk at that time. You cannot extend the boot volume.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Use a good Windows 7-specifc partitioning tool (that's also free), like EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.

I just used it to grow the size of the C volume on a new Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop after deleting two other volumes and ending up with both 'Unallocated' space to the left and 'Free' space to the right, which I could not extend into with the Windows Disk Management.

1. Download and fire up EaseUS Partition Master.
    2. Click the Resize/Move button.
    3. Extend the C: partition size into either one of or both the left-side and right-side disk space, hit OK.
    4. Go to exit the program and you'll be prompted to run the unsaved changes and reboot.

While rebooting you'll see an EaseUS boot screen with a partition resizing progress indicator for a couple of minutes, then Windows will load normally.

Really simple.
    www.northshore-it.com
    Friday, December 02, 2011 9:03 AM
  • It is may be a little bit better and reliable solution if you have an additional hard drive:

1. Move all data from the logical that you want to use as a donor.

2. Delete the volume

3. Extend your acceptor volume

4. Move back your backed up data from your extra storage

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:34 AM
  • There is so much misleading and incorrect information in this thread.  You certainly can extend a boot volume in NT 6.1 (Win7/Server 2008 R2), as long as you first convert the volume to a dynamic disk.  You do this by right-clicking the Disk (not the volume) in Disk Management and clicking "Convert to Dynamic Disk", or by running the required commands using diskpart.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363785%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:27 PM
  • I have followed above mentioned facts and then also "Extend Volume" for C_Drive id disabled? Help me plz
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:21 AM