none
Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving/deleting - Part 2

Question

• I'm reposting this topic under a new thread because Microsoft has erroneously marked the previous thread as "Answered" and is either not paying attention to subsequent posts, or is ignoring the issue. Previous thread can be found under: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e/

Restating the problem from joeboxer:

This thread discusses the following glitches during file operations, in which file states are not properly updated until a manual refresh of the display (note from ppanish, in my case I don't believe a refresh resulted in an update of the displayed information):

• After moving files: A) moved files do not disappear, or B), all moved files disappear but pop-ups report "Could not find this item" for each file.
    • After deleting files: deleted files do not disappear.
    • After renaming files: renamed files continue to show former filenames.
    • After creating a folder: created folder does not appear.
    • After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty.

The most successful resolution to this problem was presented by Deckard on 1/22/2010 as follows. Users please note, it is much faster to search for DontRefresh since these are the occurrences you're really interested in:

1) I backed up the registry.
    2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
    which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
    3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

Most of us have found that the exact number of registry keys and their specific handles will vary with installation, and generally a reboot is required for the fix to be effective.

This appears to be a widespread problem, and is extremely disruptive to use of the system with Windows 7. Hopefully this thread will result in Microsoft looking into this more seriously to define cause and solutions to the problem.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• I agree. The problem is not properly solved. The registry fix seems to be ok for a few but not for everyone.
    • Proposed as answer by Angeloz7617 Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:52 PM
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Well, after running with DontRefresh set at 0 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for 14 days, and having absolutely no refresh problems during that time, I'm sad to report that the refresh problem has returned for me today.  Two weeks ago, setting DontRefresh to 0 immediately solved the problem (without even a restart).  No problem for two weeks.  Today, the problem occurs 100% of the time (file moves, deletes, renames), just as it did before I modified the registry back on 1/23/2010.

I have confirmed that DontRefresh is still set to 0, so that didn't change itself back.  I have installed some Windows Updates between 1/23 and now, but I made no intentional configuration changes between yesterday when it worked fine and this morning when it didn't work at all.

So, it looks like there must be some other factor innvolved in this problem.  [sound of head scratching...]
    • Proposed as answer by sudasinio Monday, February 08, 2010 4:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Monday, February 08, 2010 12:13 PM
    • Proposed as answer by J. Vogel Sunday, June 03, 2012 2:08 PM
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:04 PM
  • I had a image file that I wanted to delete, but I ended up with a "ghost" file.  I tried everything to delete the file.

Solution:

In the command prompt, from the directory that the "undeleteable" file is stuck in; try this command:

del [insert start of filename here]*   <---wildcard

The trick was to ad the * at the end of the file name.  For example, del yellow.jpg*

I searched and came to this thread, and wanted to put this solution up.

Hope this works for others.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:24 AM
  • I had a image file that I wanted to delete, but I ended up with a "ghost" file. Solution:...............

Sud
    The problem is seen in many ways
    Such as a right click drag copy paste
    So its far beyond deleting a file
    We are looking for the actual total fix
    Monday, February 08, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Hi everyone

same problem here....  an fresh install of windows 7 pro 32bits, no third party software installed, just windows updates.

an example:

open notepad save an txt in the desktop, close notepad, the file doesn't appear on the desktop untill i press F5.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:09 PM
  • This problem, as it could become as familiar as bsod, should be given an acronym

WEDR

Pronunciation?

Done
    http://acronyms.silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms?terms=WEDR

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Hi all, i posted in the "old thread" and i'm reposting here the same message:

i'm experiencing this problem too. Windows 7 Professional 32bit. My registry has no "dontrefresh" entries at all, and i found this problem only when browsing subfolders of the Documents library and if files are sorted by last modified or by size . Maybe it would happen also within other libraries, but i use only documents.

Steps to reproduce:
    Start Menu
    Documents
    Enter a subfolder of the documents library (on the documents "root" folder it doesn's seem to happen)
    Create a new text document (right click -> new -> text document)
    Right mouse button -> delete (don't know if this is the correct english translation, anyway, delete it :) )
    The icon is still there even if the file no longer exists.

If files are sorted by name , it doesn't happen... ..........

Can someone please try this procedure and comment?

I think it's a very annoying issue that should be resolved as soon as possible.
    Really.

Regards,
    Francesco
    • Edited by kRs__ Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:23 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Yes, I observe the same. However, the problem exists in other ways too.  In the same subfolder I tried your experiment in, if I try to create a new folder, Explorer opens and just hangs and hangs and hangs.  If I open a new explorer window and navigate to that same subdir, the "new folder" is there.  If I right click it and rename, as soon as I click "return" to accept the new name... explorer hangs and hangs and hangs (because it cannot refresh to the new name I imagine).  So, I now open a 3rd Explorer window, navigate to the same subdir again, and voila, the new folder is there and renamed as I intended it to.  In the meantime, the original two explorer windows are totally hung.  Anywhere from 1-5 minutes, though at this point I just kill them out of frustration with the process.

A reboot appears to clear up the problem for some amount of time, but it always comes back.  This is SO annoying!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Hi ppanish

Thank you for starting a new thread with this ongoing problem. That first thread was getting hard to navigate and slow loading. I locked the first thread and posted a link to this new thread.

Please don't be concerned about a post being marked as an answer. This does not close the thread and the post was marked because this makes that post stand out and it is one solution that has been proven to work on some systems.

You can be assured that this issue has been escalated, Microsoft is well aware of the problem and it is actively being investigated.

Thanks for understanding.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:37 PM
  • I'm wondering, after having the same problem on my Win7Ult-64 machine (temporarily fixed weeks ago by setting DontRefresh to 0, but now returned with a vengeance) and searching other forums, whether this may be a problem only for those who use NAS drives?

I reboot, and no problem. My NAS (4 drives in a RAID10 config) starts up, and I have the problem.

Elsewhere, some have suggested disabling Windows Search service (using msconfig), which makes sense if it is a NAS problem. (Spending lots of time to search terabytes of data.) I'm testing it now.  I'll let you know what I find.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:48 PM
  • This was not changed in my case, but those who disabled UAC may want to rethink that decision:

Article ID: 2018895 - Last Review: February 11, 2010 - Revision: 1.0
    Desktop items disappear after renaming them on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2018895

Symptoms: When renaming a file, folder, or shortcut on the desktop, it will disappear until you refresh the desktop.

Cause: This can occur if "User Account Control" (UAC) under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts" is set to "Never Notify" for the logged on user.

Resolution: Set the UAC to the Default setting of "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer".
    • Proposed as answer by George_Jungle Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:50 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I had a image file that I wanted to delete, but I ended up with a "ghost" file. Solution:...............

Sud
    The problem is seen in many ways
    Such as a right click drag copy paste
    So its far beyond deleting a file
    We are looking for the actual total fix

I'd like a total fix too; however, I wanted to put this solution in a thread.  I was trying to be helpful and productive.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hi there,

I've run into this as well, and have polled others on the issue. It's quite a common issue, despite what you may hear from Microsoft. Question: Does launching Internet Explorer (and closing it completely) several times reproduce the issue? This was the repro. case for a previous bug in ExplorerFrame.dll.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:36 AM
  • I would also advise against implementing the change above. It's not used by Explorer, from what I can see.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Here's an update on my experience with this problem:

After patching the registry a bit over one week ago the "No Refresh" problem periodically recurs. "Reset" and "Restore Defaults" to folders has no beneficial effect, however rebooting my system does currently resolve the issue for an indefinite period of time. I can't correlate the recurrence to any particular action.

I'm not using Internet Explorer, nor do I have a NAS system.

The moderator has assured us that Microsoft recognizes the problem and is working on resolving it. Hopefully this thread will be informed of progress on the issue.

Paul Panish
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:39 PM
  • That DontRefresh key disappeared from the registry when I uninstalled Office 2007, so I don't think it has anything to do with this problem.

However, this only seems to happen to me when I'm in a Library. If I access Documents through the full path, it seems ok.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Update: The problem continues to occur for me 100% of the time.  I have no NAS, no RAID, no external drives, no mapped network drives, and rebooting the system has no effect on the problem in my case.  It happens whether I'm working in a Library or the actual directory itself.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Here is a suggestion for each of you experiencing these problems, which may help us all to diagnose and correct this issue:

Please list the non-Microsoft Shell Extensions you have on your system.  You can use the excellent freeware Shell Extension View program that can be found here to do this:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Look for the items highlighted in pink.  Sort by Company to get the non-Microsoft extensions all listed together at the top and bottom of the list (Microsoft will be in the middle).

Also please list the way you have Explorer configured (e.g., what view are you seeing this happen in - icon, list, details, whatever).

Please take the time to do this, keeping in mind that the problem simply does not show itself for some folks, so there is hope.

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by Jo_712 Monday, March 18, 2013 6:29 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Non-Microsoft Extensions:
    Adobe PDF Link Helper 9.3.0.148 (Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer)
    Bluewire General Property Sheet 1.0.0.1 (ContextH Application)
    DesktopContext Class 7.15.11.7967 (Nvidia Display Properies Extension)
    Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper 6.0.170.4 (Java(TM) Platform SE binary)
    NVIDIA CPL Extension 7.15.11.7967
    nView Desktop Context Menu 6.14.10.12091
    PDF Shell Extension 9.3.0.148

I noticed another strange behavior - when saving files in Firefox, the browser would lock up for about 2-3 seconds after the save was complete. Started happening at the exact same time I began having folder issues. Windows 7 worked perfectly on my laptop for quite awhile before "poof" - started having issues. One thing I noticed is that my laptop seemed to work perfectly when mobile - folders were created immediately. Docked the laptop without rebooting and the refresh issue showed up.

The only thing I can figure is that I have a USB drive attached to the docking station - perhaps it's related to crappy no-name controller hardware in the USB->SATA bridge?

Someone else mentioned that deleting all the hidden desktop.ini files on the desktop would help. I did so - creating the next folder crashed Explorer. Behavior seems normal now - at least so far. :)

I have a Dell D820 laptop - a coworker of mine running Windows 7 on a Dell D830 has the same issue. Probably a coincidence, but it's worth pointing out we're both software developers - perhaps we have similar software installed.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Update: The problem continues to occur for me 100% of the time.  I have no NAS, no RAID, no external drives, no mapped network drives, and rebooting the system has no effect on the problem in my case.  It happens whether I'm working in a Library or the actual directory itself.

Hi kengr

Please see the post by rseiler above that documents a similar refresh issue when working on the Desktop.

Do you have UAC set to 'Never Notify'?

If so, please set it to the default setting, reboot and check this issue again.

Let us know the results.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Non-Microsoft Extensions:
    Adobe PDF Link Helper 9.3.0.148 (Adobe PDF Helper for Internet Explorer)
    Bluewire General Property Sheet 1.0.0.1 (ContextH Application)
    DesktopContext Class 7.15.11.7967 (Nvidia Display Properies Extension)
    Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper 6.0.170.4 (Java(TM) Platform SE binary)
    NVIDIA CPL Extension 7.15.11.7967
    nView Desktop Context Menu 6.14.10.12091
    PDF Shell Extension 9.3.0.148

I noticed another strange behavior - when saving files in Firefox, the browser would lock up for about 2-3 seconds after the save was complete. Started happening at the exact same time I began having folder issues. Windows 7 worked perfectly on my laptop for quite awhile before "poof" - started having issues. One thing I noticed is that my laptop seemed to work perfectly when mobile - folders were created immediately. Docked the laptop without rebooting and the refresh issue showed up.

The only thing I can figure is that I have a USB drive attached to the docking station - perhaps it's related to crappy no-name controller hardware in the USB->SATA bridge?
    Hi SC

Noel may be onto something here.

Please use Shellex View to temporarily disable all of the non-Microsoft extensions, reboot the computer and check the refresh issue again.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:24 PM
  • For what it's worth, here are the shell extensions on a system on which this problem doesn't appear:

Bluewire General Property Sheet    ContextH Application (I don't know who this is from)
    SimpleShlExt Class                       AMD Desktop Control Panel (supports ATI video card)
    DisplayCplExt Class                      AMD Desktop Control Panel (supports ATI video card)
    avast                                           avast! Shell Extension (Avast antivirus 5)           
    snxPluginsShell Class                    DLL registration plugins extension (Avast antivirus 5)
    (multiple) TortoiseSVN                  TortoiseSVN shell extension client (Subversion)
    (multiple) TortoiseSVN                  TortoiseSVN overlay handler shim (Subversion)

Might be an interesting exercise to temporarily disable those you might have that are not in this list and see if the problem remains.

-Noel
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:43 PM
  • While I do think that some users may be affected by misbehaving shell extensions, I want to reiterate that refresh glitches can occur on the very first boot of a clean Windows 7 install, before changing any settings or installing any third-party software.  I've verified this on three different clean installs, using my steps to reproduce from the older thread.  As kengr says, this can occur for people with no NAS, no RAID, no external drives, and no mapped network drives.

Please take the time to do this, keeping in mind that the problem simply does not show itself for some folks, so there is hope.
    Noel, do you use your libraries much?  I haven't seen any glitches either since I gave up using libraries.

BTW, can someone tell me why my earlier post was deleted?  I thought it was polite and on-topic.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:58 PM
  • For what it's worth, here are the shell extensions on a system on which this problem doesn't appear:

Might be an interesting exercise to temporarily disable those you might have that are not in this list and see if the problem remains.

-Noel

Hi,
    have you tried the steps i described some posts above to reproduce the problem? (subfolder of library, files sorted by last modified)

Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:15 PM
  • No, I don't use Libraries at all. I've removed the Libraries root from Explorer.

If Microsoft is working on an Explorer revamp they ought to say something. I suppose they think that acknowledging that Explorer is flawed and is being fixed would stop people from buying right now... All the while they leave existing customers in the cold. Twisted logic to be sure. Do they think that no one talks to others?

-Noel
    • Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, February 13, 2010 11:00 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:27 PM
  • If Microsoft is working on an Explorer revamp they ought to say something.
    Agreed.  Actually, I agree with your entire post, but I'm afraid that if i quote it, Ronnie will delete this post of mine too.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:25 PM
  • have you tried the steps i described some posts above to reproduce the problem?
    Hi Francesco, I tried your steps but couldn't consistently trigger the problem. When sorting by date modified or size, I saw the problem only once out of about thirty tries.
    If files are sorted by name , it doesn't happen...
    But I pretty much stick to sort by name, and the problem still occurs.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:26 PM
  • BTW, can someone tell me why my earlier post was deleted?  I thought it was polite and on-topic.
    Hi JB

I removed several posts in this thread.

Your post was removed because, although it was on topic and polite, it was just a non-productive comment. These types of posts do nothing to help with the problem, they make the thread difficult to navigate and distracting when trying to track down the problem.

I hope everyone can avoid playing the 'blame game' here. It doesn't really matter who or what is at fault, the only thing that matters is that we find a solution so that everyone can get the problem fixed.

If anyone want's to post a comment, we have another thread specifically for that purpose.

Have Comments about Windows 7? (Part 4 - Do not post questions in this thread)

Or, you can use the following link.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

PS I'm in the process of escalating this thread to Microsoft.

Thanks for understanding.

Ronnie Vernon MVP 

• Proposed as answer by ask4me Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:14 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:30 PM
  • ... the only thing that matters is that we find a solution so that everyone can get the problem fixed. ... I'm in the process of escalating this thread to Microsoft.
    Absolutely agreed. Thanks for your help.
    Your post was removed because, although it was on topic and polite, it was just a non-productive comment.
    Ronnie, know what else has been regrettably "non-productive?" Our best efforts. Hence, my pointed request for help after 4 months of complete silence on Microsoft's part. Please let Microsoft know that we've expended a considerable amount of time and energy with no real progress - guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Ronnie.
    • Proposed as answer by uiorange Monday, February 15, 2010 6:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:52 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Hello guys.

Someone has mentioned this before but try this out please, it fixed my problem with copy/paste/refresh/rename/ everything you all mentioned above and before.

Go to your Control Panel and click on User Accounts, click on Change User Account Settings and grab that slider back to Default (it should say on the right - "Don't Notify me when I make changes to Windows Settings" and it will state below "Recommended if using familiar programs and visit familiar sites".

Click Ok and if prompted - restart.

I only got this whole problem when I changed this setting from Default to Never (or something) and forgotten what I did, for days I had the issues with refreshing until I went back and put the slider back to default. It's been more than a month since everything is working as usual (refresh fixed).

Hope it helps you.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:13 AM
  • I keep UAC disabled and have no problems with display update.

Don't get me wrong, having UAC configured to prompt is probably a good idea in the general case.

-Noel
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:03 PM
  • ok - this ' click on Change User Account Settings and grab that slider back to Default' isn't appearing on my PC - are you using a different os?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:39 PM
  • H bomb schreef op 15-2-2010 16:39:
    > ok - this ' click on Change User Account Settings and grab that slider
    > back to Default' isn't appearing on my PC - are you using a different os?

Control Panel (Select: **view: small icons**, upper right)
    User Accounts
    Change User Account Control Settings
    all Windows 7 .....

--
    Karel Vos [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Any time you can't find something try this:

1.  Click the Start orb.
    2.  Type in part of the name of what you're looking for in the search box at the bottom of the menu.

For example, in this case, type in User Account and the function you want will pop up as the second item.  Just click on it at that point.  VERY handy.

-Noel
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:35 PM
  • What karelVos said (it's Win7). When you click on Control Panel, by default it looks as if it only has 8 main options (System, Hardware, Programs, etc).
    In order to see it as it was by default in XP, simply do the 'View By Large Icons' instead of default 'View By Category'.
    Then you'll see everything including on the bottom the option to change the User Account settings where you will find this slider under 'Change User Account Settings', drag the slider and let us know if it works for you.

Whatever you do, don't search for some ghost in the machine and screw up your registry or mess up your devices, problem is sometimes right in front of you but we tend to complicate it.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hello guys.

Someone has mentioned this before but try this out please, it fixed my problem with copy/paste/refresh/rename/ everything you all mentioned above and before.

Go to your Control Panel and click on User Accounts, click on Change User Account Settings and grab that slider back to Default (it should say on the right - "Don't Notify me when I make changes to Windows Settings" and it will state below "Recommended if using familiar programs and visit familiar sites".

Click Ok and if prompted - restart.

I only got this whole problem when I changed this setting from Default to Never (or something) and forgotten what I did, for days I had the issues with refreshing until I went back and put the slider back to default. It's been more than a month since everything is working as usual (refresh fixed).

Hope it helps you.

Not fixed .Problem remains here:(
    Win 7 pro english 32bit.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Mine is Home Premium x64 but I think that has nothing to do with anything.

Have you restarted computer after dragging slider to 'Default' ?

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Also, I forgot to ask  before but any of you folks have recently (before the problem) installed some firewall on you computer, something like 'Comodo' or any others?

The reason why I'm asking is because the only time ever I've seen this weird behavior was when I had Comodo firewall on my XP machine long time ago. It did the same 'norefresh/copy/paste/rename/delete' thing until I finally disabled some of the 'tight' or whatever security level back to default.

Due to this, I believe really that the problem is exactly in the service on either Win (user account as mentioned) or externally via Firewall and similar programs where some sort of 'elevated protection' has taken place slowing down the most basic file operations.

I know for sure that it's nothing in registry (DontRefresh doesn't even exist in mine) nor ShellEx (got only Avast, not gonna disconnect it and it's not a culprit), nor rogue DLLs (not even malware does something like this), nor USB/SATA/RAID or view files by size/name/whatever and such.

Again, check your settings/user setup in Windows or via firewall/antivirus program before deciding to go with more experimental and exotic measures.
    I know how aggravating this problem is and am very happy that User Account thing fixed it for me, hope you find a solution as well.

G'Luck.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:18 PM
  • The registry change did not make any difference for me.  I performed the change and rebooted and ran into the issue again later today.  I will say that is happens to be related to only folders in the "Libraries" tree for me.  (Which is a real pain since those are the only folders where users will most likely be creating files and folders)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Also, have you folks recently installed some firewall on you computer, something like 'Comodo'...?
    No
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I think it's a problem related with explorer.exe.

I opened the Task Manager, killed the explorer.exe task and then restarted it. Worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by Angeloz7617 Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F\Instance's DontRefresh (default 1 to 0) doesn't seem to work on my two months old, updated 64-bit Windows 7 HP (Dell OEM) machine. Do I have to reboot or something? What I did to test it was make a new folder on my desktop with a custom name.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:13 PM
  • +1, Win7 x64.  And, I'm also experiencing the problem with long delays when creating files and folders, or renaming them, or moving them.  I've found that I can perform file operations from the command line without experiencing any delays.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:13 PM

I opened the Task Manager, killed the explorer.exe task and then restarted it. Worked for me.

I don't beleive it I did something similar and worked also!
    I changed the priority of explore.exe service from "norma"l to "realtime" and it FIXED the problem.(for an hour now all are normal).
    I even restarted the computer to see what happens with the priority and the bug. The bug is still non existent after the restart even although the priority changed to default (normal).
    For now and (after 4 months now) the bug for the first time is non existend!

I didn't switch off the service and restarted but i beleive this will work also.

Thanks Angeloz
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:20 PM
  • You won't be the first one to declare a fix after such a short amount of time only to be disappointed after a slightly longer period of time. Here, I'll write it for you:

"Sadly, that fix I wrote about stopped working after X hours.  I realized that temporarily changing the priority of one task couldn't have any long-lasting effect anyway."

-Where "X" stands for the actual number of elapsed hours.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:30 PM
  • You won't be the first one to declare a fix after such a short amount of time only to be disappointed after a slightly longer period of time. Here, I'll write it for you:

"Sadly, that fix I wrote about stopped working after X hours.  I realized that temporarily changing the priority of one task couldn't have any long-lasting effect anyway."

-Where "X" stands for the actual number of elapsed hours.

You maybe  right but is the only thing that worked for me until now. It's quite a relief you know...

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:39 PM

I don't beleive it I did something similar and worked also!
    I changed the priority of explore.exe service from "norma"l to "realtime" and it FIXED the problem.(for an hour now all are normal).
    I even restarted the computer to see what happens with the priority and the bug. The bug is still non existent after the restart even although the priority changed to default (normal).

I didn't switch off the service and restarted but i beleive this will work also.

Thanks Angeloz

Hope it is the definitive fix =D
    • Proposed as answer by Angeloz7617 Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:51 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Angeloz,

Changing the priority has made no difference for me, though I was only able to set it to high, not realtime. 

It's very clear this is a problem with Windows Explorer, but that doesn't answer or resolve anything. Restarting Explorer everytime this happens is easier than rebooting, but it's still a workaround. At this point I suspect that changing the registry values may also have done nothing, and it was simply rebooting (and therefore re-initializing Explorer) that caused the problem to go away for a time.

Nothing that has been proposed is more than a workaround for this issue, and I think this is clearly up to Microsoft to resolve. So far, all we have is a thin assurance from the forum moderator that they are looking into the problem. Of course Microsoft doesn't believe in giving information on status or prioritization of reported issues since they have so little need to appear responsive to their customers.

ppanish
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Angeloz,

Changing the priority has made no difference for me, though I was only able to set it to high, not realtime. 

It's very clear this is a problem with Windows Explorer, but that doesn't answer or resolve anything. Restarting Explorer everytime this happens is easier than rebooting, but it's still a workaround. At this point I suspect that changing the registry values may also have done nothing, and it was simply rebooting (and therefore re-initializing Explorer) that caused the problem to go away for a time.

Nothing that has been proposed is more than a workaround for this issue, and I think this is clearly up to Microsoft to resolve. So far, all we have is a thin assurance from the forum moderator that they are looking into the problem. Of course Microsoft doesn't believe in giving information on status or prioritization of reported issues since they have so little need to appear responsive to their customers.

ppanish

Yeah, probably this won't work for everyone or not forever, but not having issues since 1 month after restarting 1 time the explorer.exe task
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:42 PM
  • I don't beleive it I did something similar and worked also!

Thanks Angeloz
    How do I set explorer.exe to realtime? It only goes up to high and won't let me go higher. High didn't fix it for me. :(

Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx).
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I have UAC disabled, probably you can change it by disabling it. Not sure of it though.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I don't know why you don't see it in your system... you right click on task manager the "explorer.exe"  item and select "set priority" then "realtime".

You have to log  in as adminstrator of course. I'm the only user of this PC and thus I only log in as Adminstrator. I don't have/use any other accounts. System :win 7 pro english .

If after all  you don't see it, try to right click "explorer.exe" service on Task Manager again and then select "end process" to see what happens(as Angeloz said).
    You would see that for sure!

I hope all these to help you!

PS make sure you don't mistake the iexplorer.exe with explorer.exe

• Edited by paparas Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:51 PM lang correction
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I have UAC disabled, probably you can change it by disabling it. Not sure of it though.

me too i have it disabled.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:32 PM

me too i have it disabled.
    Hmm, I am using the default UAC settings. I will have to reboot to do that. If I enable UAC back on, then will explorer.exe go back to normal?

Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx).
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Don't know, you can try it anyway
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:58 PM
  • The TOTAL SOLUTION is here: Buy a programmable mouse and assign the key F5 (which is the refresh button that restores the problem) to any button that you prefer. So every time you have that problem HIT that button and continue with your work without this problem.

I think that is really UNBELEIVABLE that Microsoft keeps so silent with such a big issue.

Thank god that I didn't change all of my other PC's to win7 from win XP.

I really can't believe that they don't have a fix after so many months.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:09 PM
  • The TOTAL SOLUTION is here: Buy a programmable mouse and assign the key F5 (which is the refresh button that restores the problem) to any button that you prefer. So every time you have that problem HIT that button and continue with your work without this problem.

I think that is really UNBELEIVABLE that Microsoft keeps so silent with such a big issue.

Thank god that I didn't change all of my other PC's to win7 from win XP.

I really can't believe that they don't have a fix after so many months.

No thanks. I will stick with my F5 key. I still use two/three buttons mice sometimes. Even PS/2 depending on which computers that use old KVMs from early 2000s.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I have found the answer! Or one of them...

I have had this problem since the beginning of Windows 7. It would not reflect changes on rename, copy, paste, delete. Would come and go.

Been searching for a solution but was unable to find one.

Was thinking it must have something to do with drives connected to the "Computer"

Looked at the list of drives and saw a printer? 

It was my HP Officejet 7410... it has a sim card reader.

I disconnected this (right click, disconnect)

And bam. All is good!

Something is going on with the HP driver of that printer. It is messing up explorer.
    • Proposed as answer by blam Monday, February 22, 2010 6:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:15 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:21 PM
  •  I have found the answer! Or one of them...

I have had this problem since the beginning of Windows 7. It would not reflect changes on rename, copy, paste, delete. Would come and go.

Been searching for a solution but was unable to find one.

Was thinking it must have something to do with drives connected to the "Computer"

Looked at the list of drives and saw a printer? 

It was my HP Officejet 7410... it has a sim card reader.

I disconnected this (right click, disconnect)

And bam. All is good!

Something is going on with the HP driver of that printer. It is messing up explorer.
    Hmm, mine is connected to a shared network printer. Don't remember if it was a HP or not.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:37 PM
  • Not sure if it's been noted anywhere else or not, but this problem was also in Vista. It is not a Win7 specific problem. It has nothing to do with custom themes or anything similar. I've had it since day 1 of my Vista install and Win7 install. Both clean installs, not upgrades.
    I'm a VB.net Newb :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Another dimension (?) to this issue, as observed in Win7 Pro 32-bit:

If I open a zip file, right-click a file and select copy, then paste it in a folder, two instances of the file name appear.  Refreshing eliminates one instance.

(I have not tried any of the above heavy voodoo solutions.)

George
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:21 PM
  • George, I just tried that, with both Ultimate 32 bit and x64 editions.  Only one file appeared.

Specifically, I did this:

1.  I have two folders:  C:\Temp\Test and C:\Temp\Test2
    2.  In C:\Temp\Test I have a file called Subfolder.zip.  Within Subfolder.zip I have a file goose.txt.
    3.  I opened an Explorer window to C:\, then navigated into Test\Subfolder.zip; the file goose.txt is showing in the file pane.
    4.  I right-clicked on goose.txt and chose Copy.
    5.  I then navigated into C:\Temp\Test2; no files were showing in the file pane as the folder was initially empty.
    6.  I right-clicked in the file pane and chose Paste.
    7.  Only one instance of goose.txt appeared, instantly.

I am once again curious about what you have installed or configured that I have not, such that our systems should behave differently.

What Shell Extensions do you have running?  I've listed mine above.
    What Antivirus/security software do you have running?  I use Avast Pro 5.0 on the 64 bit system and Avast Pro 4.8 on the 32 bit system.

FYI, I have UAC disabled on the 64 bit system and enabled on the 32 bit system.

No difference in operation between these two systems.

-Noel
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Noel:

Non-MS Shell Extensions

Notepad++

Context Menu

Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler

Icon Handler

Adobe PDF Link Helper

Browser Helper Object

PDF Shell Extension

Column Handler

Bluewire General Property Sheet

Property Sheet

iOpus iMacros

Explorer Bar

GraphicsShellExt Class

Context Menu

iTunes

System

Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Browser Helper Object

Norton Toolbar

IE Toolbar

Symantec NCO BHO

Browser Helper Object

Palm Quick Install DropTargetObj Class

Drop Handler

palmOne Quick Install

Shell Folder

Symantec Intrusion Prevention

Browser Helper Object

IEContextMenu Class

Context Menu

Synaptics Control Panel

System

WinZip

Context Menu

WinZip

Drop Handler

WinZip

InfoTip Handler

WinZip

Drag & Drop Handler

But now that you ask, and I go back to reproduce the effect so I can provide greater detail, the behavior does not recur!  What I'd done was go to my course management website (using Firefox 3.5.8), clicked on a link to one of the student data files, and said open.  It opens in C:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Temp\Lesson03-1.zip\Student3.  I selected and copied a file to a subfolder in a library and got two instances.  At least it did earlier.

Don't you just love intermittent problems!  So I guess I haven't really contributed to the discussion.  But I'll continue to follow it.

George
    • Edited by TTrout Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:33 PM remove extraneous from pasting Word extract
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Well, in your case I'd sure suspect WinZip of getting in the way of Explorer zip file handling.

I have avoided putting WinZip on my systems, in the hopes of determining whether I can get along without it.  I have always used it in the past, but the zip handling in Windows 7 is supposed to be improved...  So far I haven't needed it.  Perhaps trying to open an archive format that Windows doesn't embrace will ultimately push me over the edge.

When I DID use WinZip on past systems (most recently Vista x64), I found the setting in Windows to disable all handling of zip files by Explorer.  I can't recall exactly WHY I did that, but I'm sure I had a good reason at the time.  It's something you might investigate.  Having two different entities trying to work magic on the same file will likely be trouble.

-Noel
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:49 PM
  • I have this problem too, I'm trying the reg fix. Kudos to the CUSTOMER who provided the VENDOR with the possible solution. It's taken me 50 mins to read all these comments.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I thought the registry fix was the solution as well, but am horrified to see Win 7 back to its old tricks. I do have a very good TEMPORARY solution though that I would like to share. Someone posted that killing the explorer.exe process and restarting it will fix the problem for an indeterminate amount of time. I find this to be true, and while again I stress that this is not a permanent fix, if done properly this will make everyone's lives easier for a bit.

All we're doing is making a VERY SIMPLE script to kill explorer, restart it, and assign it a shortcut key to do it in a hurry.

1) Open up notepad
    2) Copy and paste these two lines into it:
    tskill explorer
    start c:\windows\explorer.exe
    3) Save it wherever you want and name it whatever you want, BUT make the extention .bat, NOT .txt
    4) Right-click your new .bat file and create a shortcut
    5) Drag that shortcut into your start menu (put it in the accessories folder or something)
    6) Right-click the shortcut you just put into the start menu and go to Properties
    7) Change the shortcut key to something easy to remember, like ctrl+alt+E (E for Explorer!)
    8) That's it! Now when your computer starts acting up, all you have to do is hit your shortcut key, and one second later everything is back to normal!

I know this problem is infuriating, but at least this gives us a temporary fix while Microsoft gets their act together.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:35 PM
  • As an addendum to my previous post, that script above works perfectly on my home computer running 7 Professional, but after trying it on my laptop with 7 Ultimate, upon running the script explorer would close, restart, and then open the Libraries window (which I would then just have to close). To get around this, I deleted the "start c:\windows\explorer.exe" line from the script, leaving only the kill line. Then when running the script, explorer would close and restart by itself (for some unknown reason).

So in other words, if anyone tries my script and has an explorer window with their Libraries pop up afterwards, take out the second line of the script and that'll do it.

I'll be interested to hear if this whole script thing works for people like it does for me.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Aborting and restarting Explorer is not a good idea.

There is a much better way:

It would be better to set your system to open your file windows in separate processes.  If you do that you won't have to restart Explorer...  Since it starts a new instance every time you open the first new Explorer window on a clean desktop, all you need is to close all your Explorer windows and open a new one.

This is something I set with every new Windows installation (ever since WAYYY back) and the fact that I am constantly closing and reopening Explorer windows (thus causing new processes to be started) may explain why I don't see this problem.

From an Explorer window:  Choose Tools - Folder Options...

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I have a brand new laptop running Windows 7.  The problem addressed in this thread is real.  I must refresh (F5) after deleting files in Windows Explorer.  The system does delet the file but it remains in view until page is refreshed.  MS needs to create a fix for this problem.  Discussion is interesting, but they need to fix this problem.  They do.
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 11:05 PM
  • It is interesting to see all these ingenuous "solutions" to a problem that MICROSOFT should have fixed by now - it looks like this has been a known bug for months. I run W7 Ultimate on a new Dell XPS9000 (Dell installed the operating system, I didn't - I only transferred my files from an XP machine and re-installed all programs from scratch).
    I have the non-disappearing file names problem also - and it definitely is a bug. Intuitively I feel that this is a side effect of these new libraries - which, by the way, I only find marginally useful, but that's for another post. Another possibility is that it's simply a refresh issue, but it is unclear why sometimes the file name disappears immediately, sometimes after a short interval, and sometimes not at all (until you get out of the directory and come back in).  So, MICROSOFT, would you please put out a patch? It would definitely make me feel more confident about W7's Explore.Can we expect a fix tonight?

Monday, March 08, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Hi, I've been having this same problem for ages...

Can we expect a fix tonight?

Yes. Unfortunately, you'll have to install Windows XP.

Seriously : it's just about time for MS to solve this issue.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Those with the problem will complain bitterly, and will imply everyone has the problem.

Then there will be a patch or service pack that fixes it or works around the incompatibility of whatever other program it is that triggers the problem.

It is the way of the software world.

I'm guessing, because we're seeing it take a long time for Microsoft to release ANYTHING AT ALL that changes Explorer, that there's a big Explorer rewrite project going on behind the scenes.  I SINCERELY HOPE this is the case.  With big projects come long integration, testing, and release processes.

-Noel
    Monday, March 08, 2010 10:03 PM
  • I think the "big Explorer rewrite" probably took place when they put those libraries in W7. That was cute and unnecessary and apparently introduced bugs - such as the persistent-viewing-of-deleted-files one. Explorer has been quite steady since the DOS days, but now we're in cowboy land. Another (could it be major?) issue are those directories that cannot be accessed, show up as "protected" (from whom?) and cannot be changed.
    I am certain that "the rest of the world" must be having these same problems, as there was never a more pristine system than my Dell-installed W7, upon which I only copied files (in the MICROSOFT approved manner) from XP, files that I use every day and know to be error and virus free, and freshly installed programs - all of which I have used errorlessly for years and years. There are no viruses on my computer.
    At the very least, it would be good customer service if Microsoft acknowledges that there are issues with Explorer, even if there are no immediate fixes available. As it stands now, the user is left in the dark, wondering if there is anything he/she did or can do. It's like a Toyota.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Joe, I have several Windows 7 Ultimate systems here, installed clean from Microsoft DVDs, and NONE of them have ever exhibited a failure to refresh.  So it is clear that the ENTIRE rest of the world does not have this problem.  In fact, based on the relatively small number of complaints (the length of this thread notwithstanding), I suspect it's a minority of all users.  That doesn't make the problem any less of a pain if you're the one that has it.  But from a support perspective it does affect the probability that Microsoft will fix it quickly.

I also don't have any folders that can't be accessed.

Notably I do not use Libraries, and I fully agree with you that Libraries are an utterly useless complication of Windows - but then I'm a software engineer with a lifetime of computer experience.  However, it's clear that Explorer simply wasn't ready for release at the time Windows 7 was scheduled to be built, and they basically hid / compiled-out / deconfigured any features that weren't functional or which caused any kind of instability.

Regarding "cowboy land", we've been walking around amongst cow pies for a while...  There's no question Explorer started its slide in Vista.  It almost seems as though the current set of software engineers has never read the UI guidelines of yesteryear, don't have the "big picture" in mind, and are implementing things that just strike their fancy while in the trenches of development.  That's not to say there aren't some good ideas; but there's no denying some are simply horrid.  The problem described in this thread is just one of many examples (look for the screen grabs, specifically):  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/da0e2077-5f97-4305-8d98-48b16c0c5d29

-Noel
    Monday, March 08, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Joe, I have several Windows 7 Ultimate systems here, installed clean from Microsoft DVDs, and NONE of them have ever exhibited a failure to refresh.  So it is clear that the ENTIRE rest of the world does not have this problem.  In fact, based on the relatively small number of complaints (the length of this thread notwithstanding), I suspect it's a minority of all users. 

Notably I do not use Libraries,

-Noel
    Hi Noel,
    reading your post, i was wondering if the rest of the world which hasn't this problem, actually exists or not. In fact, in my case, it happens only within libraries, and since you don't use them at all, your case is not comparable to mine and to the others with problems regarding the refresh of libraries.
    I'll try two different systems with 7 as soon as i can, and i'll post the results here.

-Francesco
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Francesco, absolutely correct: Only if you are under Libraries does the deleted file continue to show. If you approach a file outside the library structure (direct access to the directory), the problem is gone and deleting files immediately takes them away from view. Now that you have clearly pinpointed where the problem is, MICROSOFT (are they even listening?) should fix this bug quickly - or, better yet, just get rid of the entire library nonsense.

Joe
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Francesco, absolutely correct: Only if you are under Libraries does the deleted file continue to show.

Hi Joe,
     just out of curiosity, what is the sort type of your folders? I noticed that if i use sort by name the problem almost disappears, while sort by last modified or sort by size make things worst.

- Francesco
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I sort by access date, latest first. I'll try sorting by name and then do a delete - I'll report back in a few minutes.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi Francesco,
    Things actually got weirder. I stayed under the library structure, then sorted by name. After deleting a file, it took 3 or 4 seconds and then the file "disappeared." Then I sorted by access date, and the exact same thing happened: the file is not displayed anymore about 3-4 seconds after deleting. So there was no difference in behavior with the different sorts. What is the weird part is that now the file name actually did disappear "on its own," albeit in a delayed fashion, while before, again under the library structure, the file name never disappeared from view, except by leaving the directory and coming back in.
    Do you think MICROSOFT is working on the problem? (Unlikely :-))
    Joe
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Ok, so things appear to have changed (a little). So then I went to the same file, but now directly to the directory (bypassing the library system), and delete worked as advertised, the file name disappears immediately. It's pretty conclusive that the library system is the culprit. I am just appalled that such an obvious problem wasn't caught before W7 release. It makes me feel unsure about the quality of the entire release. If it weren't for the floating windows (which are extremely useful), I'd go back to XP immediately. This was the first time in my 40-year computing experience that I disobeyed my own rule of never going to a new OS until at least the 2nd service pack has been released. I should've listened...
    Joe
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Well, and tonight i had the chance to test another machine: a desktop with 7 32bit. I have a laptop, so no hardware / drivers in common.
    I went in a subfolder of the document library, created many copies of a new text file, selected a bunch of them, deleted, and .. they were still there until i refreshed the window.
    So, another 7 installation with the same problem.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Seems pretty clear to me...  Blow off that stupid Libraries feature - use the thing like a computer instead of some kind of abstraction designed to separate you from what's really going on (i.e., files stored on drives in folders), and problem solved.

-Noel
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:24 PM
  • It's not at all that clear... I don't have anything to do with Libraries. The desktop isn't considered a library and that's where I always have the problem.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I just saved a file to the desktop, then deleted it, and the file name disappeared immediately. So, for me at least, no problems on the desktop.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Well, I just tested file deletion my My Documents folder under Libraries - Documents - My Documents.  It updated Explorer just fine, immediately.  I also tried dragging some things to my desktop and dropping them there, then deleting them.  They immediately disappeared, just as expected.

As always it comes down to this unsaid summary:

1) People with a problem desperately want it to be a basic systemic problem with Windows that everyone has so it will be fixed soon, since they don't feel they can fix it themselves.

2) People without the problem want the people with the problem to know it CAN work, it isn't necessarily a systemic problem, believe the people with the problem could have have caused it themselves (through action or inaction), and would like to help those above people get their systems working.

3) Microsoft MAY be working to make Windows more defensive and/or implement a fix, but they're not talking.

I have two different Windows 7 systems on which it works properly - even with Libraries

Anyone who wants to investigate what they've installed that I have not, or what I've chosen as settings that they have not, please speak up.  Let's see if we can find the key difference so everyone can work around the problem.

In general, let's start with how I use Explorer:

A) I start Explorer afresh using commands like the following, built into several different icons on my desktop:  C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\

B) I prefer to keep Explorer generally in Details view, though sometimes I choose Large Icons (e.g., for Photo folders).  As such I have chosen certain columns to display that are not default, and I have reordered them.  A snapshot of what an Explorer window looks like on my system can be seen here:

C) My Explorer settings (Tools - Folder Options) are as follows (keeping in mind I have COMPLETELY disabled Indexing by stopping the indexing service):

-Noel
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Dear Noel,

I duplicated your folder settings exactly, but the results are still as follows:
    When NOT in the Library system, files delete and disappear from view immediately;
    When IN the library system, files delete and disappear from view in 3-4 seconds.

Joe
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Another thought: it is probably an indexing issue. Libraries are essentially only "indexed file names," not actual files, so it could be that deleting a file from within the phantom library file display takes a few moments to "index out."

Joe
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Dear Noel,
    Thanks for those settings; I now don't see those strange directories anymore which I couldn't access. The difference was probably that I previously had "Show hidden files" enabled. Great improvement. Things now look almost neat enough that I don't mind the "wait on delete" or using F5... We can get used to anything :-)

Joe
    • Proposed as answer by jeje003 Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jeje003 Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I played around some with indexing.
    First, I paused Indexing, then created a new file and saved it in a directory that is part of a Library.
    Then, going to that Library, the newly created file did not show up at all. After going out of the Library and back in, the file did show up.
    When deleting the file (indexing still paused), the file remains visible; only F5 deletes the view.

After resuming indexing (resumes by itself after maybe 15 minutes), but now not indexing the entire OS(C:), the earlier behavior resumes: upon delete, the file name disappears from view in 3-4 seconds.
    I had hoped that excluding OS(C:) from the indexing parameters, I'd get a speed-up in refresh rate on the deleted file. This did not happen. Now, it might be that my existing index file is so large that it didn't make a difference. Next, I will delete the entire index and rebuild it (without OS(C:), and we'll see what happens then. I'll report back.

Joe
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Just wanted to say that I'm one more person from "the rest of the world" having problems with this.. on my desktop at work and on my laptop at home. win7 64 ultimate and win7 64 pro. Deleting files and then not having the explorer view refresh is a liability for me. A quick google search on the web shows that this is a COMMON problem... 

but primarily I wanted notifications on the thread in hopes on someone finding a solution..

Turning off Microsoft Network client does nothing for me.
    Turning off search indexing does nothing for me.
    I don't have any registry keys called 'DontRefresh'.
    I don't have office installed on my laptop.
    Restarting explorer does nothing for me (this happens on boot)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:46 PM
  • This is one of the best possible explanations for this problem.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:47 AM
  • OK, indexing (from scratch) finished. It took almost 3 hours and 193,000 items were indexed, which is about 150,000 items fewer than before, when I had OS(C:) included in the index.
    So, I created another little Word file and saved it. Then I went to the Library in which the directory in which I saved that file is represented, and sure enough, the file "showed up" immediately. Then I deleted the file, and from the instant of deletion until the file disappeared from the screen was about 2 seconds. So that is 1 to 2 seconds faster than before.
    So we have proven 2 points:
    1. Yes, it's an index issue under Libraries that creates the problem, and
    2. The smaller the index (but still inclusive of the directories that make up a Library), the quicker the refresh.

Obviously, I cannot even begin to suggest a solution because I don't have access to W7 code, but intuitively, I feel that there is some issue with the search method of the index (just a guess :-))

That's it for me; it would now be nice to hear something from Microsoft.

Joe
    • Proposed as answer by B1tbull Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:14 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:34 AM
  • One thing that's important to note:

"Turning off indexing" can mean a variety of things.  What I mean when I say it is that I have stopped and disabled the Windows Search service.

I have seen that there is a difference between deselecting things in the normal UI and actually turning off the service.

-Noel
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:48 AM
  • So we have proven 2 points:
    2. The smaller the index (but still inclusive of the directories that make up a Library), the quicker the refresh.

In my case it has nothing to do with libraries, I can be in C:\temp create a new folder, it won't show up until I press F5... no matter how long I wait. If I rename the "New folder" "AnnoyingWindowsBug" it will display as "New Folder" until I hit F5 again and shows the "AnnoyingWindowsBug" name. I did a quick post on my facebook and I am not alone amongst my friends either.
    There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusion all over the internet, but no real fixes.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:19 AM
  • A "real fix" will involve you isolating what you and your facebook friends have done on your computers that causes this behavior.

This involves taking the time to understand what's running, what's installed, what's in your Add-ons list, and what you have configured.  Not every system exhibits this behavior.

Try a "Safe Mode" bootup.  Does the problem remain?

Good luck.

-Noel
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:37 PM
  • I thought everything was fine yesterday but this morning Windows Explorer would not refresh when I added or deleted files.  I hadn't noticed this problem since I built the PC a month ago.  Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Ran CHKDSK on all three hard drives and now everything appears to be working correctly.   Event Viewer indicates a few problems were corrected on C:, with D: and E: having a single problem each.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Hi all,

I was suffering from this, and found my own fix (none of the others I found on here worked):

I have a VPN set up for connecting to my work network, and in "My Computer" I had placed two network shortcuts. I removed these, and ever since I have had none of the delay issues.

I was also experiencing a delay when selecting files for upload in browsers, and downloading files too. All of these now resolved.

(Win 7 Pro, 32 Bit)
    • Proposed as answer by BenUK Friday, March 19, 2010 10:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:15 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Hi all,

I was suffering from this, and found my own fix (none of the others I found on here worked):

I have a VPN set up for connecting to my work network, and in "My Computer" I had placed two network shortcuts. I removed these, and ever since I have had none of the delay issues.

I was also experiencing a delay when selecting files for upload in browsers, and downloading files too. All of these now resolved.

(Win 7 Pro, 32 Bit)

I think you're right!!!

I checked "My Computer" and I had added two network locations to Windows file shares at the university campus. When I'm at home, I don't have a way to reach the campus network so the connections don't work. Note that they were added as "Network Locations" not "Mapped Drives". I tried creating a new folder on my desktop - no luck. Clicked one of the Network Locations and Explorer completely froze - the moment it came back to life the folders appeared at the same time.

Deleted the locations and everything seems fine now!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Here's a workaround for when you'd really, really like to be able to easily access a remote computer or share:

Put an icon on your desktop or start menu or wherever with the following target:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe  \\Computer\Share

Since the target is a local executable, the sysetm will not try to access the Computer and Share until you actually open it.

-Noel
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hi all,

(Win 7 Pro, 32 Bit)

I think you're right!!!

I checked "My Computer" and I had added two network locations to Windows file shares at the university campus. When I'm at home, I don't have a way to reach the campus network so the connections don't work. Note that they were added as "Network Locations" not "Mapped Drives". I tried creating a new folder on my desktop - no luck. Clicked one of the Network Locations and Explorer completely froze - the moment it came back to life the folders appeared at the same time.

Deleted the locations and everything seems fine now!
    Interesting. File shares are causing this? I need file shares since it is part of my job so I can't disable them. :(

Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:02 AM
  • What do you mean by "file shares"?

You can rid your computer of mapped network drives and direct links to unreachable remote computers, and instead access the remote files using UNC filenames embedded in Explorer shortcuts, as I have described above.

-Noel

Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:13 AM
  • I sort by access date, latest first. I'll try sorting by name and then do a delete - I'll report back in a few minutes.

Long but interesting reading....
    Have been running Win 7 Pro 64 bit supplied with new Dell Studio XPS since february and noticed this strange explorer behavior since a couple of days.
    For me it seems limited to Library folders when sorted by date only. Deleted files stay on screen until I hit F5.
    Tried most of the fixes , but no avail.
    I do like the Library concept - when it works properly.
    Hope there will be a vendor fix soon.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:09 PM
  • What do you mean by "file shares"?

You can rid your computer of mapped network drives and direct links to unreachable remote computers, and instead access the remote files using UNC filenames embedded in Explorer shortcuts, as I have described above.

I use \\computerlocation method. I manually connect to them or have shortcuts to them. Most of them require logging in too.

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:29 PM
  • I get the failure to refresh problem when I have Explorer arranged by Date Modified, but I do not have a problem when organised by Name.

i.e. If I sort by clicking on the "Date Modified" column header and then delete a file it does not reresh.

I have not tested when sorted by other columns.

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:09 AM
  • Hey everyone, I would like to add something else that may be able to help a little bit, I have been using Windows 7 since the first beta came up with no problems, I even thought it was the perfect windows, too good to be truth tho. As soon as the genuine update came up, I had to downgrade from windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 enterprise and use a key that my university provides so I could have the genuine version. As soon as I installed the genuine update and the rest of new ones I started having problems with everything. My computer could not install most programs I used, everything would just stop working for unknown reasons, FOLDERS WOULD NOT REFRESH WHEN YOU DELETE THEM OR MOVE THEM, the computer stops responding on logging off screen, when installing programs they stop working during installation, and some other bugs.

I suspect, there is something in the new updates that are making Windows 7 the worst version of windows for me, I mean, windows xp is super unstable and slow, windows vista is just slow and some blue screens, but windows 7 is totally unstable at the moment and most programs I cant even start them because they stop working after a little while. I have reinstalled windows 7 three times and the problem still persists.

Been seriously thinking about giving up on microsoft ____ and move on to Linux Ubuntu.

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:27 PM
  • If you're having problems with ALL versions it's probably a hardware/driver issue.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:54 PM
  • As soon as the genuine update came up, I had to downgrade from windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 enterprise and use a key that my university provides so I could have the genuine version.

I don't follow completely what you did, but did some part of this process involve an in-place upgrade from the release candidate to the released version?  That's a no-no.

I have to agree with _xombie_ that if your system is unstable no matter what, you probably have hardware problems.

-Noel

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:05 PM
  • My computer is a tx2, (a very new computer) again, I had no problems at all with windows 7 for nearly 6 months, everything started when I had to put the windows 7 enterprise version.

Let explain what I have done to my computer since then;

1) when i got my computer the first time new out of the box, I took windows vista down and put the beta version of windows 7, im talking of like 7 or 8 months ago. The computer worked fine with no even 1 problem at all.

2) windows 7 installed an update to veify that my copy was genuine like 3 or 4 weeks ago, I had to make a complete restore to factory settings to my computer so it had windows vista again.

3) I upgraded to windows 7 enterprise via customized installation, then there all the problems got started. Drivers were not compatible anymore, everything stops working, right now im trying to install office and it installs, but there are no icons anywhere, I had to go to program files to find the icons, when I try to start microsoft word it would stay frozen and never open.

4) Lastly, I am having the same kind of problem that this post is about, it does not matter how I start my computer, It will never refresh the icons of files that you move or delete.

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:41 PM
  • To Noel:

Let me tell you what was the last thing I did and what kind of computer I have,

HP TouchSmart tx2

AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-X86 2.40GHz

6.00 GB Ram Memmory

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics 320MB

Software Changes:

1) Restored computer to factory settings, (Windows Vista, everything working perfect) (But I hate vista because its too slow).

2) Installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to make sure that everything was working ok (never installed drivers or any kind of software just some updates) everything worked ok for one day.

3) I downgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Enterprise x64 (A clean install "Custom") (The free copy you get from microsoft as trial) then installed all updates first then after that I tried installing drivers from HP and no any other software. I had problems installing the drivers; during the installation process some drivers would stop working or responding or cause some error. At this point, the problem started comming up, I tried to delete some files, and some ghost files would remain until i pressed F5. For me, If was a normal user, I would mind pressing F5 everytime I want something to move, but I am a webpage desginer and I move and update files a whole lot and man this is driving me so crazy.

4) Today I tried to do a clean startup, and the programs that did not want to open, opened, but I still have the refreshing problem. The refreshing problem went away for like 15 min then It came back again, I restarted again, and it goes away for like 15 min. then came back again.

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Was it also Vista x64? Some drivers still have problems with 64 bit Windows.

Also, try making a direct shortcut in the Favorites in the left pane in Explorer. For a lot of users this bug only happens in Libraries.

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Yes, the vista version was x64 too
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:56 PM
  • I just did a new clean Install from windows 7 enterprise x64 to windows 7 enterprise x64 - so far I don't see any problems, I disabled updates and I am going to try installing some drivers and see what happens.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Guys, I think I found out what the problem was, I have been slowly installing drivers with no updates in windows 7 enterprise, I have spent 4 hours installing and testing only 2 drivers. Then on the third driver, the problem started after installing it. The driver is for the touchscreen feature in my computer, and I got the driver from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-80798-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=4063&product=3851338

When I was done installing it, it restarted my computer like very weird, a warning message came up saying "Your computer will shoot down in less than a minute" and boom i didnt even have time to react. Well when I turn my computer on again, the program didnt even start installing, i checked all the installed programs and it was not there. So I try installing this program again and after while it was done, it asked me if I wanted to restart and I did. The computer for first time in the the 5 hours testing gets stuck on Logging Off Screen

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Guys I have solved this Issue with some help from HP.

The drivers from HP are only for RTM versions of Windows 7, the version I have is Enterprise (Upgrade) none of the drivers are compatible with this version yet, HP is working on making some patches for this. My computer does not have any kind of problems without the drivers. I hope this information is useful for someone with HP computers.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:43 PM
  • I get the failure to refresh problem when I have Explorer arranged by Date Modified, but I do not have a problem when organised by Name.

i.e. If I sort by clicking on the "Date Modified" column header and then delete a file it does not reresh.

I have not tested when sorted by other columns.

Tried all kinds of stuff, this made the problem go away.  The persistent file icons/thumbnails only occurred on my machine in libraries and only in folders that I had just sorted by date.  Sorting by name instead of date restored the ability to delete without a refresh.  

Libraries are good for some things but if you can't sort by what you want or have explorer remember individual folder views what good are they?

• Proposed as answer by tinbucket Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Libraries ... what good are they?

Heh, good question!

As one who understands files and folders, who disabled the very appearance of Libraries in Explorer mere days after having installed Windows 7, and who's been able to do everything I need and want with Windows 7, I have to say, in answer to your question.  Libraries are absolutely not needed for Windows 7 to be highly useful.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by ScienceAttic Monday, March 29, 2010 2:24 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Hi All,

I found this thread as I was experiencing a similar issue on a new laptop I just bought. This may work for some - hopefully it will, and seemed to resolve for me when I tried it on a whim. It's to disable, then re-enable "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder".

1. Launch an explorer window.

2. Go to Organize --> Folder and Search Options --> View tab

3. Uncheck "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder"

4. Click Apply or OK.

Test to see if it resolves the issue. If it does, repeat the above to re-enable it and see if it remains resolved.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:25 AM
  • I agree. Restarting explorer worked for me also.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Nothing helped me solving this bug till now.

Libraries ARE usefull to me.

Is Microsoft paying attention to this forum ?

If yes , can someone from MS please confirm the bug has made it to some future fix list ?

If no , what would be the proper way to bring this to MS technical support attention ?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Nothing helped me solving this bug till now.

Libraries ARE usefull to me.

Is Microsoft paying attention to this forum ?

If yes , can someone from MS please confirm the bug has made it to some future fix list ?

If no , what would be the proper way to bring this to MS technical support attention ?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Any help from Microsoft... this problem is bugging me... HELP!!!

OK, indexing (from scratch) finished. It took almost 3 hours and 193,000 items were indexed, which is about 150,000 items fewer than before, when I had OS(C:) included in the index.
    So, I created another little Word file and saved it. Then I went to the Library in which the directory in which I saved that file is represented, and sure enough, the file "showed up" immediately. Then I deleted the file, and from the instant of deletion until the file disappeared from the screen was about 2 seconds. So that is 1 to 2 seconds faster than before.

Obviously, I cannot even begin to suggest a solution because I don't have access to W7 code, but intuitively, I feel that there is some issue with the search method of the index (just a guess :-))

Joe

Monday, April 05, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I have this problem too on Win 7 64 Ultimate, and my registry does not contain DontRefresh, except as follows, which appears unrelated:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0_Config\EnterpriseTools\QualityTools\Dialogs\{26930B7B-294C-44e4-8C2C-ECEBDAEF963A}\Options\7]

"Resource"="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Resources.Messages, Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    "ResourceId"="TestsDirty_DontAskDialog_DontRefresh"

Jim Sn
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:10 AM
  • OK, indexing (from scratch) finished. It took almost 3 hours and 193,000 items were indexed, which is about 150,000 items fewer than before, when I had OS(C:) included in the index.

Joe

Disregard the "Proposed as answer"

The bug is still there after full indexing.

I wrongly assumed it was solved when trying on a Library folder, but when sorted by date deleted items still appear in the list....

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:05 PM
  • I ran into this issue about a week ago.

I'm rebuilding my index as we speak and it appears to be working.  I delete a copied a file and it showed up after 20 seconds (I'm indexing my computer now).  I'll leave it index and if I come back here again, it means it did not work.

-- Blen

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Blen,

Can you test deleting a file in a library folder sorted by date .

Rebuilding the index did appear to solve the issue, but under this

sorting condition the deleted file still appears on my PC until the refresh F5 is pressed.

-- Francis

Monday, April 12, 2010 5:23 PM
  • I created a folder in the library folder (the library folder has documents, music, pictures, videos and podcasts)

Sorted by date an deleted the file and it refreshed automatically.

So far everything is working for me.  Do some computer clean up and rebuild index (the index did take a while, I rebuilt it twice because I stopped half way on the first time).

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:44 PM
  • It appears i now have the problem too: 

I have an HP laptop (windows 7 x64 native/shipped)

recently installed .net 4 framework and visual studio 2010. I mentioned this, becuase i do not recall of having the probem until recently. Although folder refresh was sometimes slow before(where the green bar would come across windows explorer and seem like it would never end).  When this happened sometimes, I did a reboot and the problem seem to go away for the near term.

it may have something to do with network drives via drive letters???

but again, i think this has occured in both by c: and d: too. 

this computer is ported between my workplace and at home.  At home I use a wireless network and also using microsoft VPN to connect through to my workplace.  I remember windows XP having a ____ of time switchin between enviroments.  Windows 7 does a much better job, but switching between environments maybe the root cause.  In either case; microsoft stil should fix the "GREEN BAR" problem and the above problem.

THE ABOVE PROBLEM OF "NEW FOLDERS" NOT APPEARING IS REALLY BAD.

I REPORTED IT TO MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 ONLINE FEEDBACK AT http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195&UrlReferrer=

ANYWAYS HERE WAS MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM WHICH I REPORTED TO MICROSOFT(KIND OF WENT ON A TANGENT ABOVE)

BUG/PROBLEM:

WHEN CREATING A NEW FOLDER IN WINDOWS EXPLORER..NOTHING HAPPENS
    (AT LEAST THAT IS THE APPEARANCE)

TO SEE THE NEW FOLDER WHICH WAS CREATED
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I HAVE TO CLICK ON A ANOTHER FOLDER WITHIN WINDOWS EXPLORER
    CLICK BACK ON THE FOLDER WHICH I WAS WORKING WITHIN
    THE "NEW FOLDER" NOW APPEARS.

IN OTHER WORDS, WHEN I RENAME FOLDERS/FILES, CREATE NEW FOLDERS OR FILES USING COPY PASTE OR OTHER METHODS
    THESE CHANGES ARE NOT IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE IN WINDOWS EXPLORERER

I HAVE TO MANUALLY REFRESH THE SCREEN.

I HAVE THE WINDOWS 7 X64 OPERATING SYSTEM
    RECENTLY INSTALLED .NET FRAMEWORK 4 AND VISUAL STUDIO 10(PROBABLY NOT RELATED)

THANKS,

DOUG LUBEY OF LOUSIANA (WWW.DOUGLUBEY.COM)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I have mentioned this before...  Try this workaround and please report if you see an improvement:

Make menus visible, then Tools - Folder Options,View tab, check [ ] Launch folder windows in a separate process.  Close all Explorer windows and open a new one to test with.

-Noel

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:24 PM
  • THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP....I DID AS YOU ASK AND COULD NOT IMMEDIATELY DETERMINE IF IT FIXED THE PROCESS.  IT DID APPEAR TO HAVE A TRANSPERENT  AFFECT (NO VISIBLE CHANGES).

sO I WILL KEEP THIS OPTION TURNED ON.

AS TO WHAT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM (AT LEAST FOR NOW).  A REBOOT (OF COURSE)...SO THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS ONLY INTERMITENTLY.  SO IT WILL BE HAR TO PINPOINT.

I ALSO DID TWO OTHER THINGS BEFORE THE REBOOT (AND BEFORE I APPLIED YOUR SUGGESTION). 

RECOMMENDED ON PREVIOUS POSTS (OTHER MESSAGE BOARD)

1>SET THE UAC (START MENU-SEARCH-TYPE "UAC" TO THE DEFAULT LEVEL (I PREVIOUSLY CHANGED IT TO NOT WARN ME ON PROGRAM CHANGES)

2> UPDATED THE WINDOWS EXPERIENCE (COMPUTER-PROPERTIES-CLICK ON RATING). MY RATING WAS NOT UPDATED IN 4 MONTHS. MY RATING WENT FROM A 6.2 TO A 6.7 AFTER THE UPDATE.

BOTH OF THOSE SUGGESTIONS PLUS YOUR'S HAS NOW BEEN APPLIED TO THE COMPUTER FOR NOW.

IF I SEE THIS PROBLEM AGAIN, I WILL REPORT IT AGAIN.

I ACCIDENTLY CLICKED "PROPOSE AS ANSWER"...SORRY (REBOOT IS A BAD SOLUTION)

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Noel, I did try that option in Folder Options and there was no improvement. I still have files that do not refresh on the desktop after an indeterminate amount of time.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:57 PM
  • I cant believe I have this problem again, I thought it was a virus...
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:35 AM
  • I think Microsoft might have implemented the sorting through the search facility and didn't manage to implement file system events handlers through the layers of abstractions.

In full:

Fact:

• The symptom is reproduced by using sort orders other than sort by file name in a library (an possibly some other locations).
    • Library locations must be indexed. (Can actually use non-indexed locations by changing the configuration files, but the UI forces you to use indexed locations.)
    • Some of the properties that can be sorted by, like artist and track number, can only be retrieved by opening and parsing the files, which is costly and slow. (And much worse user experience.)
    • Database records can be sorted very fast and very efficiently and results of database operations can be easily cached and managed.
    • If you search using the search box, the results won't auto-refresh.

Logical conclusion:

Microsoft probably used the search APIs to implement the sorting function and by doing so auto-refresh function is gone.

In fact I think the term "auto-refresh" should be clarified. Explorer does not need to refresh the view according to timers or user operations. It can simply wait on file system events and update the view according to what is changed.

However, using the search API adds an indirection to the implementation. It might be that the search API has no event notification system at all or it might be extremely hard to add such a function without changing the whole thing. Thus Microsoft might have knowingly left things this way.

Frankly, I think users are better off not pushing for this function because for Microsoft to implement it, they might introduce 1000 new bugs  and make your computer 10% slower. Sadly, this is just how large software projects behave.

But Microsoft should make it clear what users see in libraries are virtual folders created from search results instead of actual folders. However, by doing so they make it obvious they're copying similar functions in other OSes and may have legal consequences.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Hi All,

I just want to let you know that up till yesterday I had the same problem with file refresh after my system upgrade to windows 7 ultimate 64bits.

I needed the XP virtual mode so Yesterday I installed the Windows  XP virtual mode and after that I am not seeing any problem with files and directories in explorer. I am not sure what fixed the issue but thats all I did and some how it fixed the issue.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:46 PM
  • I've been suffering from this issue for a while now as well. Last night, I disconnected the one network drive I had mapped, and the problem seemed to clear up immediately. The network drive was just the shared music folder on a Windows Home Server I have running.

For now the problem has gone away, but I have this page bookmarked and will return to check on the progress.

Also, at work -- I will definitely have to warn the migration squad about this issue since EVERYONE has at least 4-7 mapped network drives so this would be a huge problem. We are currently on Vista SP2 Enterprise and I haven't noticed this at all at work, but I would hate to introduce it.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Hey guys, I don't ever put posts up here but I think I found a fix for this.  I too am running Win7 x64 and randomly had the folders stop refreshing.  It happened after I set up my homegroup on my desktop (it used to be my laptop) and then resynced my XBOX and launched windows media center for the first time.  It looks like, if I go into the advanced media sharing options and I turn off media streaming, the problem goes away. 

I don't know anything else at the moment but hopefully someone else can leach on and figure that out.

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Thanks for that info...  Worth a try for those experiencing this problem.

Here's an article on how to get to the configuration item for that (see item 4): 
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2010/03/31/how-to-change-advanced-sharing-options-for-network-profiles-in-windows-7/

Interestingly, I had disabled that (or maybe it never got enabled somehow, I'm not sure), and sure enough I'm one who doesn't experience the refresh problem, so there's hope for this possible workaround.

-Noel

Friday, April 23, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Well guys, I thought installing the XP virtual mode fixed the issue but it didn't.  It seems like after reboot, refresh works fine for short time but then issue comes again. Today, I removed my network NAS drive and also removed all my startups for my HP officejet printer from MS CONFIG. After I restart the system the refresh is working fine. I will see how long this will stay working.... Will keep you posted.

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:47 PM
  • I second that changing the media sharing to "Block All" seemed to fix the problem (preliminarily, at least). Will give it another week to see, but so far so good, and that somewhat seems to comport with people talking about shared network drives having something to do with it. Also thanks to Noel for posting the link about where to find the setting.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Hi, I think what happens here is no one is helping by providing basic hardware and software installed on their system. I'll do this as an example. Hope you do this too.

my hardware:

Laptop Toshiba Satellite U500/01C Part Number - PSU9BA-01C002

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/notebooks/satellite/u500/psu9ba-01c002/specifications#details

Intel® Core™ i3 processor 330M (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache) 4 cores

4GB DDR3 (2GB + 2GB) (800MHz) expandable to 8GB
    13.3" Widescreen WXGA TruBrite® Display (1280 x 800) with Touchscreen Control
    Graphic Card: Integrated Intel
    LAN Integrated 1Gbit TX Ethernet
    HDD 500GB (5400rpm) SATA
    Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
    Integrated Bluetooth

External Keyboard, mouse, monitor. (  The problem appears no matter  those items connected or not. )

Software:

Operating System: Windows® 7 Home Premium (64bit)
    VS 2010 Professional RC
    Office 2003
    Office 2007
    7-Zip
    Avg Free
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    and others see my attached pics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I think this is windows explorer issue as in TeamViewer File Transfer screen the problem never happened.

I'll post a video later to show you.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Forgot to mention, I disabled UAC. and changed the system to best performance (by Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Performance --> Adjust for best performance.)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:33 PM
  • I believe this problem is beyond the hardware or software. it is the OS itself. If anyone can recall a couple years ago the huge file-sharing issue for Vista, then this is the same thing again.  

Major bug in Vista File Sharing (Peer-to-Peer)?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/e2cd9835-6f02-4c03-afaf-6060a2e91ee1

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:42 AM
  • here is the download link of the demo.  It is zipped by 7-zip. If you don't have it please go to 7-zip.org to download the 7-zip file manager.

http://cid-19299d29461d10dd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Win7/DontRefresh2.7z   10MB

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:52 AM
  • I've had Windows 7 x64 installed for about 6 months now and just got this problem the other day. No updates were installed.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Same here. Had Win7 installed for several months. A few days ago, started seeing this problem. Delete a file from Explorer using the Delete key, window doesn't refresh. 
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:33 PM
  • I have been experiencing the same issue ever since installing Win7 32 bit on my PC at work.   After reading and trying many of the items listed in this post. one item seems to stand out as being the issue in my case.   

When using the libraries and doing the copy, cut, paste etc.... of files the issue seems to occur when I have have sorted files by the "Date".   Once I change the sort to being by "Filename" the issue stops.   Changing back to sorting by "Date" causes the issue to reappear.     Since I usually sort my files by "Date" to make sure I am always looking at my most recent code changes, this is a huge issue for me.   For many others maybe sorting by "Filename" is okay.

Not sure if this will fix the issue for everyone, but so far it does seem to be consistent and repeatable for me.   Just to make sure to give credit where credit is due in case this is the issue/fix this was mentioned by at least one other in all of the above posts.

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:49 PM
  • After using Win7 x64 Ultimate (on laptop Toshiba Cosmio X500) for a month the no Refresh problem appeared. Send  a service call to MS service desk. Have done checks (asked by them).: (dis)conect usb external drives,  disc error checks, virus scans (with ESET). Send my systeeminformation file to MS for checks. They thought I might be missing some DLL's.  So I did an Upgrade option with the  win7 DVD to get DLL's back. All effort with no result at all. Problem stays. Then I used Xplorer2 stead of windows Explorer. Both (Xplorer2 and Win Explorer) gave the same problem, both programs doesn't refresh. So, I believe it's not an issue of the Explorer software, but it's something else, probably loss of datastructure definitions in memory. In memory, because after restart the refresh option works fine for a while (few hours upto days)

Later on I use Win Commander and this program displays correctly the changes in the folder structures (also at the same time that Explorer showed the problem). 

MS service desk thinks that an application (not win7) causes the problem. If that's the case all forum user must be using one or more of the same applications (which causes the trouble)

Would it be an idea tot share information about 'used application' to check if there are common used applications?

Another experience I want to share:  I use the windows mobile center to connect myHTC winmo to my win7 laptop. I notice  my HTC winmo also has the same no refresh issue. Creating a folder on my HTC SD card does not display the new folder name at once!. Does someone else have this problem too?  (This problem also appears with a Vista laptop by the way).

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I had the same issue - I am running Win 7 64-bit. A new, moved, renamed or deleted file or folder would not appear unless F5 refresh used. To fix, I rebuilt my icon cache using the steps below... 1. Close all folder windows that are currently open. 2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe. 3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process. 4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation. 5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…) 6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK 7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command: CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local DEL IconCache.db /a EXIT 8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…) 9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK. This fixed my problem instantly. Hope this helps. (solution found on http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista/)
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:25 AM
  • There appear to be multiple issues here involving multiple objects and complicated ways of determining what will become visible, how, when, where and to whom.

I am not even sure that this is a bug per se. It appears to be an artifact of a byzantine set of rules governing visibility and the effect of updates or other unrelated changes on user settings.

In my case, no 'icon pictures' were showing up on one of my Windows 7 machines. They had formerly and I definitely did *not* change the relevant setting myself. It must have come as the result of an update or remarkable and unexpected side-effects from some other change.

What I was seeing was only the thumbnails for the registered application that opened the file type and not its preview picture.

I was able to see the pictures as expected by checking and then unchecking the following checkbox

Tools->Folder Options->View->[Always show icons, never thumbnails]

I feel that the genesis of this and other problems in the MS environments come from a combination of:

Disrespecting backward compatibility

Ignoring or distorting standards or accepted terminology

Concentrating on new features rather than debugging existing ones ('Featuritis')

Being sloppy. I could write a book.

Disrespecting users outside of a narrow group of fan-boys who devote body and soul to learning and re-learning the ever-changing rules and manifest errors in the tools that form the MS 'party line or the increasingly rare corporate giants who can challenge them. 

Classic errors (certainly not exclusive to MS) such as assuming someone with a gift in one area (say, Einstein, who made plenty of mistakes) is 'ipso facto' unlikely to make mistakes and should not be viewed with a critical eye in their area of expertise. Worse, some extend this notion to include areas in which they are demonstrably incompetent. This leads to all sorts of mayhem. The fact that it is *possible* for an expert with years of experience to hunt down and correct something like this (though thus far nobody has actually 'solved' the problem) is hardly a recommendation in its favor and not nearly any sort of vindication that this is not, at best, a horrible 'mis-feature'. No doubt programmers were both over-represented at high-level UI design and under-represented at low-level over-all system design. Doubtless people who had no business being involved in the process were the guiding lights here.

Inappropriately inflated self-image and insular tribalism.

The near-term prescriptive for users is to continue to voice their concerns and help one-another. Even though my precise answer was not found in this thread (I may be in the wrong thread, but this is where my search engine lead me), it got me in the ball-park well enough to fix the proximal cause of my particular concern. In my case, this is unambiguously what was wrong. When I check the check-box, the pictures disappear immediately. When I clear it, my pictures come back as I expected them to exist in the first place. I have treated no windows box particularly differently, but one Windows 7 box suddenly started getting the problem and three did not.

MS has shown in the past that they will be eventually responsive to strong user concerns. I think a medium-term prescriptive here is to convince MS that when users have problems, it is of necessity a responsibility of MS and foot-dragging on a solution and/or blaming the victims is counter-productive. If MS, by policy and measurement, took a much more aggressive stance on correcting user concerns quickly and completely, I think they would be much less inclined to create these problems in the first place. Currently, the costs involved in broken compatibility, poorly designed UIs, missing help instructions, difficult and time-consuming diagnostics, etc is borne by the customer. If these costs were shifted to MS, they would have strong incentive to nip these in the bud at their source. The ridiculous problems with Windows help files come to mind here. Had MS borne the cost of the first change-over they would *never* have made the next so awful for their users. Similarly, if they had to bear some of the horrendous costs of the abortive switch to Vista and U-Turn to Windows 7, the transition to Windows 7 would have been a dead-simple no-brainer.

The long-term prescriptive is to fix the many failings of this ecosystem. I think at root they arise because MS cannot be compelled to fix them -- they are a piper with the power to call their own tune and exact payment by fiat. It is unclear whether users will eventually vote with their feet, but I think that anyone with an interest in the long term health of MS (and their own investment in its products) would do well to communicate the severity of this problem (as a general thing) and direct their attention to their increasingly vulnerable position. It is not likely, but it is possible that a company like MS could be all but wiped out overnight. I just spent days re-installing MS software and trouble-shooting the many various problems that come from MS shooting themselves in the foot. This little thing with the pictures is a case in point -- valuable time wasted on a little problem that due to its mystifying difficulty cannot be classified as to its ultimate severity and hence had to be fixed. A VM I work with ended up porting from VPC 2007 under XP to Windows Virtual PC under Windows 7. This was an aggravation caused by VPC 2007 being incompatible with the existing Virtual environment under Windows 7. After all that trouble, it turns out that, surprisingly, I cannot allocate more than a single processor to the VM when formerly it had four. I will have to migrate this again. Like many of my other former MS VMs this will be migrated to VMWare and will never come back. Given the increasing number of VMs under VMWare, it will likely be moved itself from a Windows Host to a Linux Host.

This is not the first MS thread I have turned to and it will not be the last. I have to say, though, that I have generally had success in the wider community than I have had with MS or its forums. Until problems such as this are seen in their overall context as systemic problems and Microsoft begins to address them seriously, we are all doomed to play this game forever.

This is a thread that should never have existed (because the problem should not have existed). Had it slipped through, it should have been addressed with authority and a real explanation and a work-around within hours and a fix within days. Instead, the thread is still open after months (or years if you go back to other threads) without a fix or even a satisfactory response from MS. People will still be coming here and many will leave without a fix even still. If experience is any guide, it is possible that many or most of the people arriving at this thread will never get a fix.

Criticism aside, I would have fled MS years ago if it were not for the fact that (despite, not because) of these practices, Windows still operates faster and more surely on most of my systems.

Many people here have been excellent in offering what fix they found for themselves. Maybe somebody can step up to the plate and look at the entire thread, separate the concerns and then definitively address the various issues. There *are* some good MS fixes in various KB articles. It is a shame they are so hard to find. This one may actually be addressed somewhere for all we know.

Sorry for the tl;dr. I am either in or out when it comes to these things. Sure, I would like a specific fix to this particular symptom, but rather than hundreds of threads addressing the symptoms, maybe they could at least mention that there are some deep underlying problems that would clear up many of the symptoms at a stroke.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:54 PM
  • I'd like to chime in that I am also having the same issues. This is a very annoying problem and I hope Microsoft does something to fix it soon. I have spent about 2 hours reading this and the original thread and I've tried all the solutions posted to no avail.

It's not fun when you use Firefox's download manager to download something and when it completes it errors out because the .part file can't be renamed to what it should be because windows thinks the filler file is still present after it gets deleted and you have to manually rename it yourself after you delete the filler and refresh the page. It's equally not fun when you try to delete stuff twice in a row because you think its still there and it starts to give you permissions errors which make you start fiddling with security settings and wasting your time when in reality the file isn't there and its an explorer bug.

I really do think it probably has to do with explorer looking in a location for files and that location is inaccessible and it starts to freak out. This is just based on what a lot of others have said but the hard part is figuring what location that is and how to stop it from happening.

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:55 AM
  • I just wanted to follow-up to whs5711's proposal of trying to figure out what applications we have in common... I installed 7 Ultimate on a clean machine the other day, and it IMMEDIATELY had this problem as I was downloading drivers from Internet Explorer to the desktop. I hadn't installed a single thing yet.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi tcwota,

Quite a coincidence, yesterday I encountered the same problem, when downloading with Google Chrome!

Very interesting, to get the problem on a clean machine. That means there is nothing left for common programs to compare. You only have win7 installed.

And did you verify that the problem wasn't there BEFORE the download action? Let's  assume you did (if not you might consider re-installing and verify it)

If you mean by a clean machine that only win7 ultimate is installed (no other apps , no anti-virus prog etc), you have a strong case here for the MS service desk to look at. In this situation probably the error can be reproduced!  Anyway, Would it be an idea to contact your MS service desk and ask for support. It's a free service provided that you are running a genuine win7 (activated and registrerd) of course.  They probably ask to sent your system information file. This file does not have password data nor outlook data included, just registry and hardware info data). It would be better to sent the MS desk a copy of your win7 dvd, so they can test it themself.

By the way, do you have this problem on a Toshiba laptop?

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Apparently it was reported to the team by a MS employee in the first thread.

Hoping to see a fix in SP1.

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I had a live chat with Microsoft support a while back and she told me to download the newest drivers for my graphics card to fix this problem. Oh really? Thanks a lot.

I DO have this problem on a Toshiba laptop, but also on my desktop computer made up of parts, one running Ultimate and one running Professional.

• Proposed as answer by PietrodeSantaCruz Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:11 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:43 PM
  • There have been a raft of proposed "answers" for this problem, all of which are work-arounds of one sort or another, most of which at best temporarily suppress the problem for variable periods of time. Nothing mentioned in this thread is a fix. The only answer I've left in place is from the forum moderator, and specifies that the problem has been escalated to MS, which is where it belongs.

It has become clear from the duration of this thread (and its predecessor), as well as lack of any substantive input or investigation from MS, that they either have no interest in the problem or don't consider it of high enough priority to actively assign.

As a prior software engineer and engineering manager at two major corporations I find Microsoft's handling of this problem to be inexcusable. The assigned engineer or moderator should be able to find the priority of the issue in the escalation process and post it's status. If the problem is not currently considered worth addressing we should be told as much. Otherwise a target date for resolution should be provided and updated as necessary. I don't ever expect to see this happen as it does not align with Microsoft policy of non-communication.

As a result of the lack of response or progress I've started using DirectoryOpus as an alternative and will probably never go back to Explorer, which I consider to be an inferior product even if it worked properly. DirectoryOpus is not cheap, but after using it for an extended trial period I have come to consider it worth the price. There are a number of such alternatives which seem to offer good functionality and are less expensive or free. Do a web search for "windows explorer alternatives windows 7" and you'll find a number of options.

Perhaps someday we'll be able to take this approach for alternatives to Microsoft products to their logical conclusion.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Apparently it was reported to the team by a MS employee in the first thread.

Hoping to see a fix in SP1.

Speaking of SP1, there is a beta out of it. Has anyone gotten a hold of a copy and tried it to see if it fixed the problem?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:22 PM
  • So while I don't think this problem is caused by any common program we're all running, am I correct in assuming that we've all disabled User Account Control? Up above in this thread, there is a link to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that describes this problem as a result of disabling UAC, but I'm just wondering if we all fit that bill. I know I certainly do. Anyone here having the problem NOT disable UAC?
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:00 PM
  • This bug is happening more and more for me. It's absolutely maddening. If I select a file and hit delete on the keyboard the file will not disappear until I manually refresh. I just cannot understand why Microsoft aren't in the slightest bit interested in fixing it.

I'm using win7 64bit, UAC off.

I really resent having to manually refresh -  a decent operating system wouldn't require that. I have tried the norefresh registry trip but no joy.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:44 PM
  • I don't think so. I haven't disabled UAC and this problem still pops up now and then.

It was reduced when I turned off indexing for libraries, though.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:49 PM
  • After several weeks of being very impressed with Windows 7, I developed this problem too.  Un-checking MS client for windows, and switching off all the sharing options has worked for me (so far).  I tried a full re-install first and that didn't help, even though I hadn't had the problem before today.  Luckily for me I don't need sharing.  It's very dissapointing, just when I felt MS had got something right.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:30 PM
  • After several weeks of being very impressed with Windows 7, I developed this problem too.  Un-checking MS client for windows, and switching off all the sharing options has worked for me (so far).  I tried a full re-install first and that didn't help, even though I hadn't had the problem before today.  Luckily for me I don't need sharing.  It's very dissapointing, just when I felt MS had got something right.

It's a new release so it is bound to have bugs. It's a minor, but an annoying bug. I need sharing at work so I can't disable them. I just have to refresh manually with F5 key. :( Hey, at least it is not a blue screen or something worse!

So everyone with this bugs uses file sharing? I also use networked printer sharing too.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Sure, but why can't they just hold up their hands and say "we acknowledge this, we'll fix it"? Why can't they bow to do that?

And surely it could be fixed with a small windows update?

Sunday, May 16, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Large companies are allergic to admitting their product has any flaws in it whatsoever.  Their lawyers tell them to never, ever admit anything's wrong so they won't be sued.

YOU might not be preparing to sue them over this, and would prefer if Microsoft would say "Sorry about that, we're looking into making that better", but there are undeserving people who want to do nothing but find a way to grab some of Microsoft's money.

Imagine if Microsoft said "Well, now, we really botched Explorer up didn't we".  Some dip would come up with a scheme to turn that very deficiency into a life-threatening issue, then fire up their lawyer and sue Microsoft for a deficiency they have already admitted exists.

It's lawyers and law suits that have screwed things up so royally.

Now, do you think that Microsoft isn't aware that Explorer has so many problems?  Clearly they read things.  After their having released such obviously unfinished and incomplete software I really do have high hopes for Service Pack 1. 

Or maybe (God help us) the Marketing people have swung into action and have decided that Windows 7's successor is the one that will get all the needed Explorer improvements, on the general principle of making a lemon into lemonade and charging money for it.  I hope we don't have to wait that long.

I can see it now...  "I had an idea, right here in a taxi.  Microsoft should make Explorer in Windows 8 actually work."

Sigh.

Okay, so Marketing people help the lawyers screw things up.

-Noel

Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Now, do you think that Microsoft isn't aware that Explorer has so many problems?  Clearly they read things.  After their having released such obviously unfinished and incomplete software I really do have high hopes for Service Pack 1. 
    I want to know if that current SP1 beta fixed it or not. If we can get a confirmation from a tester, then I will be happy!

Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:04 PM
  • I had thought that my video card was the problem and reported it previously.  I was able to rid my system of the problem by simply rolling back the video driver.  But I had removed the computer from the homegroup as part of testing fixes and never added it back. 

I consistently get the problem to occur if I add my computer to the local homegroup.  As soon as I remove it from the homegroup, the problem goes away.

I know that not everyone experiencing the problem is on a homegroup.  But perhaps it is some other setting that gets set/reset as part of joining/leaving a homegroup that is also active in the setup for others.  Just wanted to comment that I can consistently reproduce it.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Interesting Noel, I hadn't thought of it like that. But surely by that logic a future update or amendment is tantamount to an admission of incompetence in the previous release, which is surely still grounds for a lawsuit. Furthermore, it was my understanding that the lengthy terms and conditions that we all accept when installing windows indemnifies MS from any subsequent action? The EULA or whatever it's called...

I suspect the real reason is because MS is such a large organisation that it's easier to hide behind the corporate doors than to do the decent thing and actually write decent software. Their attitude really sickens me.

• Proposed as answer by PietrodeSantaCruz Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:13 PM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hello,

I stumbled upon this thread by accident while looking for a solution to another issue I was having and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I too had this issue on both of my home PCs - 1 running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit & the other running the 64-bit version. I don't use the "library" features in Explorer, nor do I do any sharing since I'm the only person using these machines. I too had the refresh issues, folders remaining when they should have moved via drag-and-drop, etc...

Here's what my fix was for both PCs. I haven't seen it since and that was a couple of months ago at least.

In the Registry: start--> Run--> regedit --> OK

Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SYSTEM --> CurrentControlSet --> Control --> FileSystem"

Find the entry named "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate". Right-click on it, select "Modify" and in the "Value data" box I changed the value from "1" (yes) to "0" (no). --> click "OK", close out the Registry and log-off / log-on or reboot the PC.

By the way this entry is named, I believe with the "1" (yes/on) setting is telling the file system to not update and changing it to "0" (no/off) it's now instructed to indeed update. I may be wrong.. but anyway, I have not seen any of these issues since.

I hope this helps and if this has already been tried and/or posted, I apologize. I didn't have time to read every post in this and the previous forum relating to this topic.

Have fun and "Yes", Microsoft blows!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:31 PM
  •  

Find the entry named "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate". Right-click on it, select "Modify" and in the "Value data" box I changed the value from "1" (yes) to "0" (no). --> click "OK", close out the Registry and log-off / log-on or reboot the PC.

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem 

Data type Range Default value 
    REG_DWORD
     0 | 1

Description
    Specifies whether NTFS updates the last-accessed timestamp of a file when that file is opened.

Because updating the last-accessed timestamp requires writing data to the disk, an activity that accesses many files might be faster if this type of update is disabled. However, some applications may require that files have an accurate last-accessed timestamp.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Hi guys,

has anybody tried this solution?:

"Lisa - Microsoft Support Engineer
    The following update may provide a solution for some experiencing issues with windows explorer ceasing to respond 
    when a file or directory is created or renamed:  KB 980408 "

I can't check it right now - post your experiences please.

• Proposed as answer by PietrodeSantaCruz Friday, May 28, 2010 11:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:12 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Thanks for posting that, Nucleo. That one seems to have eluded all of us. I just installed it and am hoping for the best.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:03 AM
  • That KB was already installed via windows update a few weeks ago and I'm still experiencing the issue. Here's a list of things I remember I've done to try to fix it:

1) Create a new user account and use that one instead
    2) deleted the icon cache
    3) disable homegroup and file sharing
    4) disable UAC
    5) deleted desktop.ini from the desktop
    6) sfc scan
    7) disabled indexing
    8) disabled antivirus
    9) searched the registry for dontrefresh but didn't have the key

I'm wondering if its because I have remapped a lot of folders to other drives/partitions (Program Files, users, desktop, music, videos, documents). I also have a printer set up thats connected off of another computer. Also I have a memory card reader installed. I noticed one person solved his issue by disabling the hp printer that had a memory card reader so maybe thats relevant? I'll try disabling mine and seeing how it goes.

I'm using Win 7 64-bit Professional.

• Edited by Nachbar Wednesday, June 02, 2010 9:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Yeah, I am experiencing the problem as we speak and it turns out that update was already installed.
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Funny enough you may want to check and see if you have "show hidden files and folders" turned on, my problem started when i enabled it and then went away as soon as i disabled "show hidden files and folders"
    • Proposed as answer by Schneebeli Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ppanish Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Disable "show hidden files and folders"did solve the problem for me too. That's really funny.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:12 PM
  • I must admit, I haven't seen the problem since unchecking the "show hidden files and folders" box. However, life is young, and I keep expecting to see it.

Sooooooo........... what about everyone else in this thread? Has anyone experienced this problem despite never checking the "show hidden files and folders" box?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:04 PM
  • I just found this thread after the problem started happening to me. I didn't install anything (hardware or software) or change any settings. The problem started happening to me when I was working with a large number of files in one folder, then when I tried to delete or move files I noticed the icons for the files didn't refresh until I hit the F5 key. Also If I reboot it fixes the problem, but after an hour or so of working the problem will restart again.

Iv had "show hidden files and folders" turned on since I installed the OS 5 months and this problem only started 2 days ago.

I really hope microsoft make a real fix for this soon.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:07 AM
  • I've been having this issue for a long time now but thought I'd make a comment here as it's really doing my head in, and I've received the update mentioned which didn't solve the issue.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Well, I started this thread and I'm now going to unsubscribe from the topic.

I've periodically gone through and removed proposed "answers" to the problem, as they have all proven to be ineffective over the long term when using Windows 7 in what should be perfectly acceptable modes of operation which Microsoft has itself provided. If MIcrosoft has made their product too complex to debug issues such as this one, then their architecture is fundamentally flawed. This problem is severe enough, and has been present long enough, that it should have been resolved in a patch by now.

The only "answer" for this issue lies with Microsoft. They clearly don't give a ____ about it, and will continue to operate in this manner as long as they can dominate the PC OS market. I'm unsubscribing because my feeling is that the forum is ineffective, and as a result the notifications a waste of time.

The only solution I've found to be effective has been to stop using Windows Explorer in favor of third party alternatives. In my case the $75 I've spent on Directory Opus was the best investment I've made in some time. In this regard it no longer really matters to me if Microsoft finds a fix for the issue or not.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:31 PM
  • I've been following this thread for a very long time.  Some of the proposed solutions seemed to fix the problem temporarily.  I have a 64bit Intel system. I'm running Raid 1 on my HDs (which shouldn't matter).  I've had the issue since I originally installed Windows 7.  I've kept up with my updates.  I've never changed the UAC settings. 

Aside from this very annoying problem, I've been relatively happy with Windows 7.  I very much wish someone from MS would address the issue, and fix it with an update.  This is past the point of ridiculous.  This problem was reported while Windows 7 was in Beta.  Maybe they're waiting for Windows 8 (it won't have any of the problems Windows 7 has / had).

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hello,

Since some time I also experience the problem. I have tried about all solutions that are suggested in this thread but as to be read in this thread without any succes. In my case Deleting a batch of files do not result in a blank windows explorer pane. None of the files dissapear untill I press F5. I´m running a Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 64 bit (Dutch language only), on a iCore 7 920 processor with 6GB memory of OCZ. Something that strikes me, is that some users reporting, they think that it is not an issue related to SSD. However, a little while ago I changed my harddisk into an OCZ SSD, type Collusus Lite, 120GB, without trim command option. Before that I used a regular 1TB HDD, without this problem occuring. Because I also installed several new peaces of software (ABBYY finereader Pro 10 and Netgear Digital Entertainment centre v 1.8.35 software) i'm not 100% sure, but i'm having strong suspicions towards the problem originating from the combo Windows 7 and SSD.

I must say that it annoys the ____ out of me and that I think it´s a disgrace that Microsoft is not able to provide a working solution for it´s customers. Certainly in light of some users stating that the issue has already been reported during Beta fase.

Come on Microsoft, every complaint is a gift, do something about it and do it fast, sure you can......

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I just did some testing again, just to be sure for being mad at Microsoft.  I was able to pinpoint my problem to one specific service. Here it is.

PLFlash DeviceIOcontrolservice by Prolific Technology inc.

I disabled it through Msconfig in TAB services and BANG the problem is gone, turned is ton and it's back again I'm not sure what this particular service does, but I think that it comes with Nero Burning software, more specific Nero Back it UP or Nero Essentials. 

Got some more testing to do but I'm now sure it has something to do with that specific service. Just check and test it yourselves and post results here plz..

Also this service might have relations to (the detection of ?) USB devices i.e flash memory devices, could this be why problems occur relatively often amongst SSD users.....?

UPDATE 16.58 CET: problem is back, while service still seems disabled in MSconfig. So there are more variables that play a role. Trying to figure out wat else is playing a part in this Issue Let you know when clear.

UPDATE 18.35 CET: Uninstealled NETGEAR Soft ware which came with Multimedia Streaming Device EVA9150. Problem seems to have disapeared. The Netgear Software installs 2 services, (Some netweorking service and something else I don't recollect the specifics.) which were very persistent untill I uninstalled the complete software. Stay tuned for more. 

Update 19.01 CET Yep it´s official. As far as I can see the Netgear software is crucial in my case to the problem. Netrgear Sotware installed, problem occurs, uninstalling solves it. I repeated the procedure twice withe the same result.

This was the problem in my case. Now I can't imagine that all people here complaining, have Netgear Devices i.e. Netgear Software installed. So microsoft don't leave your customers standing in the cold and look into the specifics of the NETGEAR (English language)software what could be the problem. Here is the link.  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/314

Okee another finding is that the problem of Windows Explorer not refreshing, occurs only in shared folders. (Which was shared because of the Netgear software) I copied a folder from the share to my desktop there I deleted the files and they disapeared and reapeared from the trashbin without a glitch. So I hope that this info can help some of you to solve their problem as well 

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:19 AM
  • I have tried several ways above and came across a solution from other site. 

I got no problem after I uninstall a CPU monitoring gadgets on sidebar. 

So, think about what you did install on side bar, and try...

good luck!!

• Proposed as answer by Kevin Cheung Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:08 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Unbelievable that this issue has not been fixed yet.

Whatever it is, it isn't down to gadgets, ssd devices or netgear software for me and has been a problem since the day of release on a clean install for me!

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:07 PM
  • I also have the similar problem with windows 7 64-bit. I didn't spend enough time to figure out what kind of pattern this problem has, but right after reboot, I generally don't have any problem, and after a few days, the problem comes back, and I have been rebooting my computer for several times only due to this problem.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hi there,

just bought Directory Opus (like ppanish did).

I Agree it's a good investment and it works well.

Too bad I was forced to buy another product because MS neglects us all!

Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:04 PM
  • One of the previous solutions has worked for me for the past few weeks -- a long time, compared to before when the problem would begin within hours of rebooting.

That workaround is ... (drum roll, please) ...

Turn off homegroup. (Yes, Virginia, it was really that simple.) I don't need it, so that's a painless workaround.

Hope it works for you, too.

• Proposed as answer by jboy1812 Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:17 AM
  • Same for me. Win 7 64 bit on Dell Studio XPS on Raid 1.

Problem started ( or maybe I just noticed it then ) within weeks if clean install.

NONE of the proposed solutions worked for me ( up to the "turn off the homegroup")

I do like Win 7 overall and libraries are useful.

For me the problem is specific for libraries sorted on date modified.

Anybody home at Microsoft ?