none
Windows 7: Explorer.exe using 100% of CPU

Question

• Hi!

I am from Brazil and I've instaled Windows 7 professinal x64 build 7600 (pt-BR) and for some period the system was running ok.
    Recently the explorer.exe process is consuming 100% of CPU.
    The process start with 50% of CPU when Windows 7 started until reach 100%. 
    I have one file on desktop (.MHTML) with 33,8 MB and when I try to delete or rename this file Windows Explorer freeze. When I open Desktop folder on Windows Explorer the CPU consuming goes to 100%.
    When explorer.exe release the CPU the size of process is very big. Over than 1 MB of RAM.
    Some one can help me?
    Thanks!

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Friday, September 11, 2009 9:30 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Robinson,

On startup I have only 3 program running: NIS 2009, lexmark device and one program to protect when I open my account on Internet Banking.
    I just saw your post now when going to write what happened to my W7.
    One day I decided to delete the file and wait for the system to do something.
    After waiting a few minutes the W7 showed the confirmation window. I clicked yes and waited again. Then I went in the trash and delete from there also.
    I waited a little longer and the problem is over!
    The CPU was released and so far the W7 did not show this problem anymore.
    The problem was related to the file on the desktop but what caused it I do not know.
    So far I have not created any more large file on the desktop.
    If I have any further news I will post here in the forum.
    Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 18, 2009 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Suword.br,

Mostly, this issue is caused by third party software/driver. I suggest you take a Clean Boot to troubleshoot this problem.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Does it help?

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by milen georgiev Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:10 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

On startup I have only 3 program running: NIS 2009, lexmark device and one program to protect when I open my account on Internet Banking.
    I just saw your post now when going to write what happened to my W7.
    One day I decided to delete the file and wait for the system to do something.
    After waiting a few minutes the W7 showed the confirmation window. I clicked yes and waited again. Then I went in the trash and delete from there also.
    I waited a little longer and the problem is over!
    The CPU was released and so far the W7 did not show this problem anymore.
    The problem was related to the file on the desktop but what caused it I do not know.
    So far I have not created any more large file on the desktop.
    If I have any further news I will post here in the forum.
    Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 18, 2009 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Hi there Robinson,

I’m experiencing the same problem and have tested the issue in the Clean Boot environment & it disappeared.

What do I do next??

Please help urgently!!

Thank you

Greg

Friday, July 16, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

make a xperf trace [1] to diagnostic the high CPU usage. Please upload the etl file to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here.

I'll take a look at it.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140264
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Hi I think i may have found the file in the desktop that cause the same problem...

But, the problem is that the file cannot be deleted...

When I delete it, it stuck at "Preparing to recycle". And the CPU went 100%...

How to delete the file that cannot be deleted...??

Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:52 PM
  • There's an .mhtml security advisory.  I don't think there's a patch yet, but you can disable .mhtml use.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2501696.mspx

Saturday, April 02, 2011 7:00 PM
  • I had the same problem; explorer.exe would generally run at 50% of the cpu capacity and often use as much as 95% making the computer unusable.

After a lot of head scratching I realised explorer.exe would consume close to 100% of the cpu whenever I left or right clicked on a folder which had video files in it.

Long story made short, removing the folder solved my problem.

I had recently loaded Internet Download Manager (IDM) and used it to quickly loaded some video clips into the previously mentioned folder.  It appears some or all of the video clips I loaded were not “reconstructed” properly, simply, they were not complete and/or fractured.  Apparently, this can cause explorer.exe to get stuck in a kind of computer Chinese Finger Puzzle and essentially lock the machine up by using all the cpu capacity while trying to figure out what the fractured files are.

P.s Deleting the folder was a real problem, every time I clicked on it explorer.exe used all the cpu capacity and froze the computer.  I managed to get rid of it by starting in safe mode and deleting the offending folder, it said the folder was successfully deleted but I could still see it.  I then restarting the computer in normal mode and was able to delete it again.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I'd got same problem and I use a free and a small program called 'Unlocker'. And, it could delete every program. Firstly, it deletes to recycle bin. After, you should delete with same was, from recycle bin.

@ bobsone,

Yes, it is hard to delete the folder or the video. Using this programme could solve my 'same' problem.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:14 PM