none
Can't share local printer in Windows 7 Pro-error 0x000006d9

Question

• Hello,

I recently purchased a laptop and wanted to share my local printer, attached via USB to my desktop (tower) in my home.  My desktop runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  My laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

When I try to share my printer, accept the default printer name (or modify it), from the sharing tab of printer properties, I get an error:  "printer settings could not be saved.  Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006d9)".

I did some searching in this forum and via google but this error code does not appear for this type of issue (i.e. printer sharing).  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also verified my Event Viewer and see no errors whatsoever related to printer or network settings or file and printer sharing.  I CAN share my files on THIS desktop with the laptop and have already transferred files from the desktop to the laptop successfully.  But printer sharing is giving the above error. 

** Also, I MAY have a related problem but I am unsure about this, so I wanted to mention this in this same thread in case they are related:  I cannot start the homegroup listener service from services on the desktop (win 7 pro) - get error code 2147023143.  Homegroups are NOT setup (not created) on neither the laptop nor the desktop.  Again, I tried to search for this error code but the results are inconclusive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:00 PM

Answers

• I found the solution after doing another search in google but the the keywords reversed.  Here is the link from the "Windows 7 forums":

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/4081-cant-share-printer-get-error.html

Basically, this may be a bug in windows 7.  The person was using a third-party security suite so Windows firewall was naturally disabled.  Re-enabling Windows firewall enables you to share the printer.  After sharing the printer, disable the windows firewall again and the sharing is still active.  I tested this and it worked perfectly for me.  I shared the printer, DISABLED windows firewall and disabled the windows firewall service as it was before.  I even shutdown BOTH PCs (the desktop and the laptop), turned them back on and the printer is still shared.

May be of help to anyone with similar problems. I have not tried the "home group" issue since I have no need for it for now, but will try it later to see what happens, using the same technique - enabling Windows firewall...

Ciao!

John

• Marked as answer by Byrna5 Friday, March 26, 2010 1:08 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:17 AM
  • I just tried enabling the Windows Firewall service.  And what do you know - the Home Group Listener service also enabled without any issues at all!  It looks like there is a definitely DEPENDANCY - the Home Group Listener service depends on Windows Firewall.  But in the dependencies tab of HomeGroup Listener, only "server" is shown.  This may or may not be intentional but that is what is happening.

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:06 PM

All replies

• Try Restarting Your Computer.

Or

Reinstall Windows 7 professioanl 64 bit Again

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I found the solution after doing another search in google but the the keywords reversed.  Here is the link from the "Windows 7 forums":

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/4081-cant-share-printer-get-error.html

Basically, this may be a bug in windows 7.  The person was using a third-party security suite so Windows firewall was naturally disabled.  Re-enabling Windows firewall enables you to share the printer.  After sharing the printer, disable the windows firewall again and the sharing is still active.  I tested this and it worked perfectly for me.  I shared the printer, DISABLED windows firewall and disabled the windows firewall service as it was before.  I even shutdown BOTH PCs (the desktop and the laptop), turned them back on and the printer is still shared.

May be of help to anyone with similar problems. I have not tried the "home group" issue since I have no need for it for now, but will try it later to see what happens, using the same technique - enabling Windows firewall...

Ciao!

John

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:17 AM
  • I just tried enabling the Windows Firewall service.  And what do you know - the Home Group Listener service also enabled without any issues at all!  It looks like there is a definitely DEPENDANCY - the Home Group Listener service depends on Windows Firewall.  But in the dependencies tab of HomeGroup Listener, only "server" is shown.  This may or may not be intentional but that is what is happening.

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Ditto above: I had stopped Windows Firewall because my system is behind a router. I noticed a bunch of errors in my Event Log about Home Group Service.  Needless to say I was unable to start the service. But after reading this thread I enabled Firewall and then HOme Group Service started fine.

Clearly this is a Win7 bug. I hope MS is aware of it.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:14 PM
  • WOW!  Thanks to this thread I've fixed my problem:

- Homegroup Listener Service would not start and terminated with error 2147023143

I'm using Vipre anti-virus deluxe edition with firewall.  I had the MS Windows Firewall 'disabled'.

Once I enabled the Windows Firewall service, I could start the Homegroup Listener.

THANKS!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Its now been THREE YEARS since this "bug" has been discovered and resolved by a user, and there is not one word about it in MS's online help.  Today I had this exact issue of not being able to share a printer on Windows 7 with other computers on my my local network.  And this is the same printer I've been sharing with the same network for nearly FIVE YEARS!!  I have always used 3rd party virus/firewall software, but I don't disable the windows firewall.  Rather I just set it to "Manual" because some network software seems to need it occassionally.  The result is the same however, as is the solution.  I had updated and reinstalled my printer software, and apparantly sharing is disabled by default.  After stumbling upon this thread, after several hours wasted searching Windows Help and Microsoft "NON"-Support websites and KB's, I simply ran the firewall just long enough to enable sharing, and instantly the backlog of spoolled print jobs began printing.

Thank you.  You would think MS would have at least written this solution into their help files by now ... but than again, they are probably making money with their "paid" support option from all the desperate people who suddenly can't use there printers.  Probably charging $50 just to tell people to turn the firewall on for a few seconds.  I can't think of another reason to conveniently omit this simple solution from the "free" support.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:44 PM
  • I know this is an older thread but I just ran across this problem myself. Here's how I fixed it:

Make sure the drivers for your printer are downloaded and installed from the manufacturer of this step doesn't work!

Right click on your printer and select PRINTER PROPERTIES (not just Properties). It is toward the middle of the options that pop up.

Select the Sharing tab.

Check the Share this Printer box and click OK to close the window.

Now if you dont want everyone to have a login on your computer go to Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center.

On the right at the top click on Change Advanced Sharing Settings

Expand the Home or Work button by clicking on the down arrow (down carot) to the right of the words.

Click on the radio button (round checkbox) to TURN OFF PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING.

Click on Save Changes at the bottom. You can now map your printer from any other computer on your network.

One thing to remember is that anyone on your network can access your printer or any files you share with this setup, even your neighbor if your network isn't set up securely. Your mileage may vary.

Don't right click and share files or printers that you don't want the whole world to see.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:37 PM