none
Windows cannot setup Internet Connection Sharing [Win 7]

Question

• When I tried to use ICS using ad-hoc [Network Sharing Center -> Set up a new connection -> Set-up a wireless ad-hoc network] I get error after clicking "Turn on Internet connection sharing".

It says "Windows could not setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"

When I tried it this way [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-shared-Internet-connection-using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing] I got an error saying "An error occured while ICS was being enabled. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Before this I can easily set up ICS with no problems. I've been using it for months. Suddenly, this problem appears. Someone help me please...

Oh. By the way, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Due to this issue did not occur before, please try system restore to get back to a previous time point which Internet Connection Sharing worked fine.

If the issue persists, please make sure all the following services are turned on:

·        Application Layer Gateway Service

·        Network Connections

·        Network Location Awareness (NLA)

·        Plug and Play

·        Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

·        Remote Access Connection Manager

·        Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

·        Telephony

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Type “services” in start search box, and set service Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to Automatic.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Due to this issue did not occur before, please try system restore to get back to a previous time point which Internet Connection Sharing worked fine.

If the issue persists, please make sure all the following services are turned on:

·        Application Layer Gateway Service

·        Network Connections

·        Network Location Awareness (NLA)

·        Plug and Play

·        Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

·        Remote Access Connection Manager

·        Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

·        Telephony

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Monday, December 20, 2010 10:57 AM
  • All the mentioned services are running. I've tried system restore but it also doesn't work.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

Type “services” in start search box, and set service Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to Automatic.

Alex Zhao

Friday, December 24, 2010 9:13 AM