none
Startup Repair - can not repair automatically - Partition Table Repair failed

Question

• Hi Follks,

I'm hoping someone has come across this....First time this has happened to me and I have been fixing Windows Installations for years for other people, but my own laptop is now the victim of the dreaded StartupReapir Unnable to Fix!

ArrrrggGgghhHHH!

Basically the issue is thus; Startup repair can not Automatically fix the problem:

When Viewing the Diagnostic and Repair Details, all is ok until the final section which reads

Root cause found:

------------------------

No OS found on disk.

Repair action: Partition table repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time taken = 3401 ms

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

So, I'm thinking HDD Issue here, but not sure about repair process itself.

I have tried going to the Command Prompt and doing a CHKDSK /F with the result of "found no problems".

I should also add that System Restore was turned Off (for reasons that I shan't go in to) so I can not Roll-back the system to an earlier point.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next? Is there a command line tool to check the partition table and repair it?

Thanks in advance of your reply.

System Details:

Sony VPCEEM1E

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

4GB RAM

AMD CPU

• Edited by Archytype Monday, March 28, 2011 8:55 PM spelling mistakes - additional info added
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• If Partition Table Repair is corrupt and cannot be repaired, we are not able to fix it with general repair tools. I suggest you contact Sony support and backup your data then reformat the disk to repair the issue.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 01, 2011 9:41 AM
  • I ended up sourcing an ordinary Windows 7 Home Premium x64 DVD and using that to boot up with and was able to fix.

I used Startup Repair option to perform a System Resotre of Windows from the maufacturures' pre-loaded/partition.

problem solved.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Archytype Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Having done some more checking, it appears as if both the "\windows\system and the \windows\system32 folders are missing.

some kind of fowl play here - malware?

Monday, March 28, 2011 9:32 PM
  • If Partition Table Repair is corrupt and cannot be repaired, we are not able to fix it with general repair tools. I suggest you contact Sony support and backup your data then reformat the disk to repair the issue.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 01, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Hi Archytype  - did you manage to fix your problem? - i have identical symptoms. thanks
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has actually had a resolution to this problem?

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:35 AM
  • I ended up sourcing an ordinary Windows 7 Home Premium x64 DVD and using that to boot up with and was able to fix.

I used Startup Repair option to perform a System Resotre of Windows from the maufacturures' pre-loaded/partition.

problem solved.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Archytype Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:28 PM
  • So, you said you restored the system...did you lose all your saved data?  Just wondering...I have most backed up to another drive...but wondering if going to a program disk would save me having to do a complete format? 

I got in doing a restore to earlier restore point...but then Java, Adobe want to install updates made after that restore point...and of course they want me to restart windows..lol... then I have to again pick an older restore point

I'm moving the rest of what I want to save tonight...then I'll probably do a complete restore..but it would be nice to find an easier way.

Monday, December 05, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Yes, I lost all my data!

But problem solved.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:48 PM