none
NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller -- Code 38 after waking up from stand-by/sleep

Question

• I use a Dell E6400 laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I have a cellular card that I use with the laptop for connectivity on the go.

Within the last month or so, I've noticed that now almost every time the laptop comes out of sleep mode, the wireless card is not found. Digging further, I noticed that when this happens, there are two "NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller" devices in Device Manager with Code 38 (already loaded). When everything works, the first one of these is the device that controls the card in question.

I've no idea what caused this to start behaving badly -- perhaps a Windows update.

But in any case, I need to find a solution. Any ideas? The drivers for "NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller" are from Microsoft and appear to be the latest version. I believe they are for the PCMCIA cards to be used at all. I have tried updating the Ricoh PCMCIA card drivers from Dell, but that doesn't seem to make a difference at all, although that device is also there and does not show any errors.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, April 26, 2010 10:18 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:36 PM

Answers

• Well, I uninstalled VMWare and confirmed that the problem went away. So I guess its a problem with VMWare. Now if only Virtual PC could handle 64-bit guests and multiple processors I wouldn't need VMWare.
    • Marked as answer by lex3001 Monday, May 03, 2010 3:44 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Some machines do not work properly when they are put to sleep. This is an ACPI problem. Check for a new BIOS and drivers.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a CPU to finish the new server, AM2/AM2+/AM3
    • Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lex3001 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:57 AM
  • This is not a machine / hardware / BIOS problem. I've had the machine since October and use sleep multiple times a day without any issues. This problem only recently started occuring.

I spent some time with Event Viewer and did some other hunting around. The problem started around 4/19, right after I installed VMWare Player. More research reveals other users have had similar problem with other VMWare products. I have posted on their forums in the hopes of finding a solution (other than uninstalling VMWare Player).

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Well, I uninstalled VMWare and confirmed that the problem went away. So I guess its a problem with VMWare. Now if only Virtual PC could handle 64-bit guests and multiple processors I wouldn't need VMWare.
    • Marked as answer by lex3001 Monday, May 03, 2010 3:44 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 3:43 PM
  • if you have Windows Server 2008, Microsoft is now giving away their own hypervisor but I have not used that as I do not have Windows Server in my shop.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Monday, May 03, 2010 6:54 PM