none
Create New Folder hangs Windows Explorer

Question

• Hi,

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit sp1 and when I try and create a new folder through Windows Explorer or just right-click on the desktop and then mousing down to 'New' and not even clicking, Windows Explorer stops responding and I get the following error in my Application Log:

The program explorer.exe version 6.0.6001.18164 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 12d8 Start Time:

Source: Application Hang
    Event ID: 1002
    Level: Error
    Task Category: (101)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Rileymartin,

In a lot of cases, these Windows explorer errors are caused by 3rd party shell extensions that are not functioning properly.

To try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy (and free) utility: ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions.

After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause Windows Explorer to crash.

Once you find the Shell extension that is causing the problem and you are done with disabling the problem shell extension, you are done.

If the problem persists, run Windows explorer registry fix from the following link
    http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/tutorials/7715d1225832927-new-folder-newfolderfix.reg 

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Rileymartin,

In a lot of cases, these Windows explorer errors are caused by 3rd party shell extensions that are not functioning properly.

To try and find if a 3rd party shell extension is causing your Windows Explorer to crash on certain actions, you'll need to download this handy (and free) utility: ShelExView. It will let you view & disable shell extensions.

After you downloaded & executed it, ShelExView will show all shell extensions installed on your system. You could sort the entries so that you'll have all non Microsoft shell extensions grouped together. Next, select all these non Microsoft shell extensions, and disable them. Try the sequence that would previously have resulted in Windows Explorer crashing (for example browsing a folder, or right-clicking a file). If no crash occurred, one of the shell extensions you disabled has been causing the crash. To find out which one, start enabling one shell extension at a time, each time testing to make sure you can still use Windows Explorer without it crashing, until you find the shell extension that would cause Windows Explorer to crash.

Once you find the Shell extension that is causing the problem and you are done with disabling the problem shell extension, you are done.

If the problem persists, run Windows explorer registry fix from the following link
    http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/tutorials/7715d1225832927-new-folder-newfolderfix.reg 

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, but on Win7 64-bit.  Is the registry file valid for Win7 as well?  I don't know yet how much changed in the registry between versions.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:10 PM
  • See if the workaround here works for you:

Windows 7 hangs when creating a new folder and hangs again when renaming it

http://rhyous.com Never stop acquiring knowledge, as it goes with you when you die.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:51 PM