none
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841s in a Toshiba

Question

•  

This driver was the DVD drive that came with my computer.

The drive was not recognizing any disks nor was the drive being recognized by my computer: I had an error code 39 in the device manager. I went through the troubleshooting on my computer. This led me to uninstall the device, but I can't seem to reinstall it, and now I can't find any DVD/CD drives in my device manager.

I have tried downloading the driver from the Toshiba website, but that did not solve my problem and though the download seemed to go fine, there is still no drive in my device manager and no drive recognized by the computer. I also tried using the recovery CD, but that was not helpful - probably since I don't have a working CD drive. I've read about the registry edit, but will that work if I don't seem to have a device at all? How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:23 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

It may be a upper and lower limit problem.

before moving on, let’s backup the windows registry.

To know how to backup windows registry in Vista, please visit this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

then, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER

click plus signs next to the following;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    currentcontrolset
    control
    class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002 BE10318}

then look for any of these entries in the list;

upperfilters
    lowerfilters
    upperfilters.bak
    lowerfilters.bak

if you see any of these delete them by right clicking and delete

then, close the window and reboot the computer.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

It may be a upper and lower limit problem.

before moving on, let’s backup the windows registry.

To know how to backup windows registry in Vista, please visit this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

then, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER

click plus signs next to the following;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    currentcontrolset
    control
    class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002 BE10318}

then look for any of these entries in the list;

upperfilters
    lowerfilters
    upperfilters.bak
    lowerfilters.bak

if you see any of these delete them by right clicking and delete

then, close the window and reboot the computer.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:20 AM
  •  

I have same problem.  DVD not being recognized by OS was first notice two days ago (end of June).   At first I had no idea what was going on.  In Control Panel I foung the ATA DVD showing with an exclamation mark.  Error Code 39.  I have gone into Registery and not seen any upper/lower filters listed (in 4D36E.... file).    I have removed DVD drive and disconnected/reconnected cables.  I have also uninstalled DVD using Vista.  Then attempt to reinstall.  DVD drive shows up on Control Panel after Vista attempts to install.  But still has exclamation and not recognized by OS.  Also, still shows Error Code 39.  

Here is what has changed (best I can tell).  I went into Restore section anticipating being able to Restore System to a much older date.  Guess What???  The old Restore dates are gone.  The latest update from MS was June 26th.  And there are Restore Points since.  But, none older.  Appears MS update deleted all old Restore Points.  Think this update

killed my OS from recognizing DVD drive? 

Anyone got suggeestions?  Greatly appreciated.  Also, can't imagine I am the only one have this/these problems.

Thanks for any guidance.

• Proposed as answer by SusanWesla Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:34 PM
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

I have the same problem!!! And I have no idea how to fix it. I've searched google and found this forum, but apparently there are more people with the same problem out there! And look at the dates, we are all very close to each other, is this weird?

Anyways, can anyone tell me how to fix it? I read several articles but I don't know what the heck are upper/lower filters....

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I have the exact same problem, and now i'm unable to play a CD/DVD.

Normally once you place the your CD/DVD in, it automatically uses auto-play.

But even when i go to my computer the whole icon/drive has gone.

I'm still trying to find a way of getting it back.

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:09 PM
  • HI

I also got the same problem somhow I don`t know exactly how?
    I have been here to find out how can I resolve my problem
    an already resolved by following the mentioned info...it is really usefull...by going the the registry and delete the upperfilters and lowerfilters
    Thanks a lot
    <<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Yasser

Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I have the same problem lik yours.  Have you received any correction?

• Proposed as answer by gasstationman Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:48 PM
    Monday, December 01, 2008 11:24 AM
  • I had the same problem.  My cd\dvd drives were no longer recognized.  I didn't have any upper or lower files lised in the registry.  The device driver showed an error 39 on the drives. It turned out it was caused by a copy protection program sony distributed.  Here's the like to remove it:http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html 
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Yeah, I have the answer:   M A C      My next computer is going to be one.  I'm fed up with the runaround you get with MS!! 
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:35 PM
  • thankyou so much it worked perfectly.....
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:45 AM