none
Rearming Windows

Question

• I had installed the evaluation version of Windows 8 rtm enterprise.  I know I can only use it for 90 days and it is set to expire on 11/13/2012 but I decided to run slmgr /dlv to see how it activated. in the dialog box that shows, I have a rearm. What does this rearm do.

• Edited by andrewscott48210 Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:18 AM Unable to insert screenshot
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

No it only affects the instance of Windows that is installed, it does not affect the Key that is used.

If you reinstall Windows everything inside Windows is back to the default values.  The Key and the count is external to Windows.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:18 AM

All replies

• Presumably increments when a sysprep is attempted on the machine. Due to the limited licensing once the increment hits 3 that's it. You won't be able to sysprep again.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:28 AM
  • I thought rearms were used to extend a trial period on an operating System.  At least that is what it does in Windows 7.
    • Edited by andrewscott48210 Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by BarfieldXP Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:14 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

I can only find “Remaining Windows rearm count:999” in slmgr.vbs –dlv.

This means you can actually install Windows without giving the key number. You are allowed a certain number of days to give the number or you will lose use of Windows. In addition you can do it so many times(rearm).

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

I can only find “Remaining Windows rearm count:999” in slmgr.vbs –dlv.

This means you can actually install Windows without giving the key number. You are allowed a certain number of days to give the number or you will lose use of Windows. In addition you can do it so many times(rearm).

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

I found "Remaining Windows rearm count:1" in slmgr.vbs -dlv.  And Yes I have it activated as a trial.  how did you get 999 in yours?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Hello,

The Eval copies of Windows 8 Enterprise only have one Rearm.

the Volume License channel copies of Windows 8 Enterprise have a rearm count of 999

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Yes, but what does the rearm do? does it keep windows 8 activated or does it give Window a 30 day grace period to put in a key?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Yes, when the initial 30-day activation-free grace period going to expire, you can rearm Windows 8 for additional 30 more days of activation grace period.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Yes, when the initial 30-day activation-free grace period going to expire, you can rearm Windows 8 for additional 30 more days of activation grace period.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

So, rearming only works on unactivated versions of Windows or does it also work on Activated copies?
    Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

That’s should work on both unactivated version and active copies.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

That’s should work on both unactivated version and active copies.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

How does it work on activated copies?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hello,

It resets the activation state, you will not be activated after you run a ReArm, it also resets the CMID for VL to make it a unique instance

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Hello,

It resets the activation state, you will not be activated after you run a ReArm, it also resets the CMID for VL to make it a unique instance

So for example if I need to reinstall Windows 8, I can use rearm to reset the state, then reinstall it then put in the same MAK Key the used key count will not change?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Hello,

No it only affects the instance of Windows that is installed, it does not affect the Key that is used.

If you reinstall Windows everything inside Windows is back to the default values.  The Key and the count is external to Windows.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:18 AM
  • Hello,

The Eval copies of Windows 8 Enterprise only have one Rearm.

the Volume License channel copies of Windows 8 Enterprise have a rearm count of 999

How many times can I rearm a retail copy of Windows 8?
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 2:26 AM

30-day activation-free grace period??? For Windows 8 no more 30-day grace period to activate!!!
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:46 AM

30-day activation-free grace period??? For Windows 8 no more 30-day grace period to activate!!!

You can use a default key and deal with the constant nag screens, or download the evaluation version from TechNet and deal with the nag screens 90 days later.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:09 PM