none
Windows Media Player - All music gone

Question

• Earlier today a friend had told me all the music in his window's media player had disappeared. I came home to find mine in the very same condition. Definitely not a coincidence.

Anybody know what happened and how I get my music back?

-Dan

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:26 AM

Answers

• Neither worked, however I took the hidden files I had previously unhidden and located, then selected them all and went to properties. Apparently there was just an option to check hidden as well as read-only. I unchecked both of them, rebooted windows media, updated and it seemed to do the trick for now.

Thank you for all the help throughout this. I will let you know if I come across any other problems with windows media.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, please check if the music files still exist in local disk, it is recommended to configure system to show hidden files:

Show hidden files and folders.

If all files still exists in Windows 7, this issue may be related to the damaged components and files of Windows Media Player library. We can try to restore deleted library itemsor rebuild library via steps below:

1. Located to “%userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\Media player\” folder.
    2. Close Windows Media Player and delete all files and folders in this location.
    3. Re-launch WMP to test the issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by drc2482 Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:00 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by drc2482 Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:15 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:11 AM
  • Ok, that worked for the most part. I found all the music files and everything but the windows media player seems to just be refusing to except them. I also tried to find the folder you referred to above, however my computer is not finding a folder like that in existence.

Any help would be great.

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Based on the current situation, I suggest reinstalling Windows Media Player to test the issue.

1. Start, type “appwiz.cpl” in search bar and press Enter.

2. Click “Turn Windows features on or off” on the left panel.

3. Uncheck “Windows Media Player” under “Media Features”.

4. Click OK and reboot the system.

5. Repeat the step 1 and 2.

6. Check “Windows Media Player” under “Media Features”.

7. Reboot the system and re-launch WMP to test the issue.

It should be rebuild the library for the media files automatically.

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Not sure if you caught this or not, but in step (1) the %userprofile% means YOUR profile, so if your login ID is "drc2482" then the path to the folder is:

c:\Users\drc2482\appdata\local\microsoft\Media Player\

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Friday, February 24, 2012 11:55 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Neither worked, however I took the hidden files I had previously unhidden and located, then selected them all and went to properties. Apparently there was just an option to check hidden as well as read-only. I unchecked both of them, rebooted windows media, updated and it seemed to do the trick for now.

Thank you for all the help throughout this. I will let you know if I come across any other problems with windows media.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:47 PM