none
WMP error: Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the player.

Question

• Hi I have a problem playing DRM protected songs in WMP 11 for Windows XP 64-bit. I can easily play everything else but DRM protected files. 
    My OS is Version 5.2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.090805-1438 : Service Pack 2) - I have downloaded and installed ALL updates from Windows Update.
    I have tried a full new install of XP Pro 64-bit including all updates (SP's, IE8, WMP11 etc.). 
    I have tried repair from the OS CD including all the MS updates (under express and under custom).
    I have tried roll back of WMP 11 and reinstall of WMP 11.
    I have tried to delete all references to DRM keys via regedit and I have renamed the DRM datapath under Documents and Settings.
    This is absolutely driving me mad. It used to work but now it does not any more. I have payed my subscribtion to the online music store. I can download the music but when I click on it to play it I get the "Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the player." message. When I go to Microsoft site to download the DRM license I get the exact same messag.
    As I stated I can play mp3 that I have ripped from my CD's with no problem at all.
    I have tried searching here on technet and also google (sorry).

HELP - Please :-)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:53 PM

All replies

• Download WMP 11x 64 from here then from add or remove programs in the control panel find and uninstall the WMP that you find there, then run the installer that was downloaded to re-install. afterward you will want to do an online update to make sure that any updates for WMP are applied. see if that takes care of the problem, if not come back and re-post
    • Proposed as answer by securityguy14 Monday, November 02, 2009 10:38 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Hi Security guy 14 and others,

thanks for you suggestion. Alas it was to no avail - it did not help.

I have tried both of the following:

1 uninstall WMP11 (actually roll-back), reboot, sfc /scannow, reboot, windows update express, install wmp 11 xp 64bit directly from MS, windows update express. reboot...

2 download the file from your suggestion to my desktop, uninstall WMP11 (roll-back), reboot, install the downloaded wmp 11 xp 64bit, windows update express...

in both cases - unfortunately with no help.

In WMP11 in the tools - options and the privacy tab everything is "ON" except Enhanced Content Provider Services and the History box. On the Network tab the RTSP/UDP is NOT ON and I have NOT specified any ports. On the Security tab only the Run script commands when present and the Run script commands and rich media streams when the Player is in a web page is turned on. On the Player tab Download codecs automatically is ON and connect to the Internet is ON.

hmm...

A good challenge :-)

Any/all suggestions are welcome. 

In advance: Thank you very much for your assistance and patience.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:22 AM
  • what happened when you un-installed and tried to re-install? did the installation fail? did you get any messages fro it?
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Try VLC media player
    It will not fix your WMP issue, but it may fix the issue of trying to play your media files
    I use VLC media player for all my local video file viewing
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Try VLC media player
    It will not fix your WMP issue, but it may fix the issue of trying to play your media files
    I use VLC media player for all my local video file viewing

Hi Alle,

When I un-installed and re-installed WMP 11 for XP 64-bit EVERYTHING looked OK... no sign of errors.

The error ONLY appears when I try to play DRM protected files......

I still cannot install Microsofts DRM license software ... I get the same error ....

I am so far only talking about playing WMA-DRM files which of course is only audio.

I suggestions?

Best regards
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:44 PM