none
Drive mappings and VPN Question for Windows 7

Question

• We are implementing a Windows 7 Rollout.  One issue that has presented itself is that drive mappings working somewhat strangely over VPN.  To whit: users have drive mappings.  When booted from the network, the mappings show as available.  When the laptops are taken home, the mapped drives show as disconnected - because they are.  When a VPN connection is connected, the drives remain in a disconnected state unless manually activated.  EG: if you click on the mapped drive - it opens.  If you open Outlook, which is using a PST on a mapped drive - Outlook will say the drive is not available. (Yes, I know that you are not supposed to use PST files on mapped drives.)

Should the "disconnected drives" reconnect when the VPN connection is made & the drives really become available? Is there a way to force a check to see if the drives are available automatically?

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• I think this is by design. After you login with cached credentials, your VPN connection has nothing to do with your persistent share mappings. Those mappings are there because you made them persistent. "Persistent" meaning the drives will attempt to reconnect to the share at login, and if a connection cannot be established then it will show the drive as disconnected. 

The only solution I can think of for this is to have the VPN client launch before the Windows 7 logon prompt.

• Edited by Chris-Jones Monday, March 05, 2012 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, March 05, 2012 5:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by am2o Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:03 PM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 3:47 AM
  •  

Also, you may configure it as Offline File as workaround.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:47 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

You may refer to the following thread to check if it helps:

Group Policy Preferences - Mapped Drives over VPN

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Nope: Not useful:

We have user mapped drives. (OK: Some of them are mapped with a logon script - as persistant.)

Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:37 PM
  • I think this is by design. After you login with cached credentials, your VPN connection has nothing to do with your persistent share mappings. Those mappings are there because you made them persistent. "Persistent" meaning the drives will attempt to reconnect to the share at login, and if a connection cannot be established then it will show the drive as disconnected. 

The only solution I can think of for this is to have the VPN client launch before the Windows 7 logon prompt.

• Edited by Chris-Jones Monday, March 05, 2012 3:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, March 05, 2012 5:35 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 3:47 AM
  •  

Also, you may configure it as Offline File as workaround.

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:47 AM
  •  

Is the above information useful?

Regards,

Sabrina

Sabrina

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:06 AM
  • I concur that this is default bahavior.  Just need CYA for management.  The idea about offline files is a good one, but am concerned about users working for a week "offline", then having workstations crash before being able to synch...

Thanks All

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:02 PM