none
Error Code: 80071AA7 When trying to update to Vista SP1 RC

Question

• I've tried to install the Windows Vista SP1 RC 3 times now and get the same error each time.  I've searched here and on Microsoft's Knowledge Base and there is no record of this error code. 

If anyone can help that'd be great.

Thanks
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We've seen a few instances of this error reported, but it has been difficult to debug without a local repro.  I don't suppose you are local to Redmond, WA? (like we'd be that lucky).

Regards,

Jeff

Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:17 PM
  • I got the same error code when I tried several times to apply the most recent updates to Vista Ultimate.  I managed to get some of the updates to install, but KB941568 and KB942615 have failed repeatedly, each time with this error code.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Am also getting the same error. Before reboot, the installation says completed successfully. However, after reboot it gives up this error message. Any ideas how to make SP1 installation successful.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:29 AM
  •  

Do you have a Dell?

Try running a "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt

Mod should be aware that Dell has been having installation problems recently which can Fubar machines.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Jeff,

I'm getting 80071AA7 with KB93871 so it looks like I'm hosed for SP1 unless this gets resolved. I'd be happy to send you the "Copy details" logs from "View update history" or I'll drive up from Portland with the laptop. Let me know.

It's surprising there seems to be nothing new on this in the couple of months from the dates I see on the forum posts.

chelan
    Friday, February 15, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Finally, after multiple trials, i gave up. Following things I did:

1. Yes, it is a dell machine. I ran sfc /scannow and found three errors. But, seems that wasn't the problem

2. Disabled the Antivirus and windows defender and firewall, but no help

Now am waiting for SP1 RTM availability.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:53 AM
  •  

Has any solution been found for this problem?

Seeing many complaints all over the net, but no answers.

Im currently getting the same error code when trying to install SP1 via Windows Update.

I was also getting the same error for KB943899 and 943302, but now those updates dont appear in  Windows Update anymore.

They've been replaced by SP1, which im assuming incorporates those previous updates in it.

But, when installing SP1, i get the same error code... 80071AA7.

Please help!

Running Vista Home Premium

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:43 PM
  •  flooty333 wrote:

Im currently getting the same error code when trying to install SP1 via Windows Update.

I was also getting the same error for KB943899 and 943302, but now those updates dont appear in  Windows Update anymore.

They've been replaced by SP1, which im assuming incorporates those previous updates in it.

Please help!

Anyone????  Window's Automatic update keeps trying to update.  I get a status of successful but after it re-boots it reflects a "failed" status after the "configure" process and then the process starts all over again.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:42 PM
  •  NCR wrote:
     flooty333 wrote:

Please help!

Anyone????  Window's Automatic update keeps trying to update.  I get a status of successful but after it re-boots it reflects a "failed" status after the "configure" process and then the process starts all over again

I have tried more than 15 times,it is surprising that no solution to this is coming from microsoft. After so many months no solution to the service pack?. so many error messages crop up like window explorer, internet explorer and other start up programmes stopped working,sending error report, this the dailly routine when I start my laptop atleast by update I thought these problems will get solved. As it stands god can only save us  for buying Vista.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:06 AM
  • I have a Dell Dimension E520 with a Vista Home Premium, most of my updates keep failing with this code. I once got the SP1 update to work in March but had to do a system restore because the drivers for my sound card would not work.  After that, I have been having problems with my updates all returning this code.

I have had problems with the following

1. Security Update for Windows Vista, I resolved this by making sure the update was done by alone.  This took up to 8 attempts.
    2. Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista (KB984881) - same as above, KB950760 installed succesfully the first time.
    3. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB947864) & (KB950759) has not been able to work despite several attempts, disabling and even uninstalling anti-virus and firewall, I still get this error code. I have hidden them as I could not get them to install.
    4. Windows SP1 after the dell drivers have been updated I have now tried several times to install this but I keep getting 80071AA7 error code.

I have not found anywhere on the net where this issue has been resovled, any ideas please?

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:27 AM
  • First, I've been cursed for months by this issue.  Yes, I have a Dell machine.  Any progress or do I continue to operate without the benefit of updates until I buy a new machine?

Second, why is this a Dell issue?  They did not manufacture the OS, Microsoft did.  Looks like Microsoft needs to step up and fix it as it has been going on for years.

Third, I suggest that Microsoft offer a FREE upgrade to a properly functioning OS and eliminate Vista.  If Vista were a car it would have been recalled for safety reasons.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:00 PM