none
Installing Software Freezes Computer...

Question

• Hello Friends,

I have Win 7 x64 Ultimate installed.  All has been running fine for a while approx. 1 month.  Last week while trying to install new software (games, VS 2008 etc...) and even extract large files from RARs, my system freezes and unfreezes during the process.  However, I have previous software that I have installed successfully.  I have tried installing new drivers, disabling my virus protection, running in XP compatibility mode as well as Administrator.  Nothing works.  What I can do is copy/move large files from and to any drive just fine.  No problems.  This just happens during installation procedures and RAR extractions.

I have my hard drives interfaced with my computer through trays for easy hard drive substitution.  What I did, using the same system, was install Win 2008 R2 Enterprise.  All has worked great here.  No freezes at all.  The same software is installed on both Win 7 and Win 2008 R2.

What could be causing this?

Specs:
    GeForce 800 Series Video card
    NVidia 680 SLi MB
    5 gigs memory

Thanks for any help. :)
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:01 AM

Answers

• My guess...
    Something interfered with / messed up your setup "last week". Can you by any chance revert to the status before the freezing occurred? System restore would be your friend here. It'll take you back to the date you select. You won't lose your created documents, but will have to reinstall the software you installed after that date.

Regards

Rem
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• My guess...
    Something interfered with / messed up your setup "last week". Can you by any chance revert to the status before the freezing occurred? System restore would be your friend here. It'll take you back to the date you select. You won't lose your created documents, but will have to reinstall the software you installed after that date.

Regards

Rem
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Hey Rem,

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Say, are located in Vancouver, Canada?  I just know a guy named Rem that way.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:34 AM
  • Hey Rem,

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Say, are located in Vancouver, Canada?  I just know a guy named Rem that way.

Hi,
    No, I'm not canadian or located in Canada.
    I'm living and working in France though not of french nationality.
    Having said that, that last statement might change in the future.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:55 AM