none
ISATAP Adapter Problem

Question

• Device Manager (under Network Adapters) shows MS ISATAP disabled with "Windows cannot load driver...(Code 31)".  When I try to update the driver, "Best driver already installed" comes up.  The option to rollback driver is greyed out.  A previous suggestion was to disable it in Dev Mgr and disable IP6 in Network Connections. However, when I did this,  both IE-7 and Windows Mail got a little flaky with some random errors and slow connections.  Is there a way to restore this driver without a complete OS reinstall or System Restore? 

(Vista Build 5600;  Dual boot Vista and XP on separate drives).      

Monday, January 01, 2007 5:14 PM

All replies

• SYMPTOMS

On a Windows Vista-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark (!) next to it in Device Manager. Additionally, when you open the properties dialog box for the device, you receive an error message that resembles the following: Windows cannot load driver (Code 31)

RESOLUTION
    You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. The adapter will continue to work correctly.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

APPLIES TO:
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Windows Vista Starter
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    Windows Vista Enterprise
    Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Business
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
    Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
    Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004 Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2006 Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2006 Standard Edition

MORE INFORMATION
    The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.
    Monday, June 02, 2008 7:02 PM
  •  

I find this information inadequate. If it is to be ignored why have the error appear at all. Now I have to see the drivers load request dialog every time I restart. What the heck is up with that?

Why not do your job and create drivers for it instead of having Windows Update report "Failed to load MUI Resource file: Installation failed."

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:32 AM
  • I find this inaccurate as well. My wireless adapter is not working, and has this error going on.

• Proposed as answer by chewroy Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Well I have disabled the adapter it's stupid they should fix it. we should get new drivers so this doesn't happen!! Microsoft still owes me 20 bucks. I ordered the Windows Vista SP1 DVD and the installation file on it was corrupted. It did not work! I had to get a special consistency patch made FOR ME and a few others and then I needed a valid copy of the SP1 which I had to get directly from a Microsoft Vista TSA.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:32 AM
  • ok  hers  ny  question   about the isatap adapter  if ya go in to the properities of this   and in to The Advance  driver  option 

it has the  net work address  box   empty

and a number   13  in the  setting 

What is supposed to be in the net work  Address box    or is this supposed to be  blank

they need to fix this  isatap adapter  ASAP

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:42 PM
  • It is supposed to be empty. it only supports IP v6 so if you use IP v4 it will use those settings unless you are using IP v6 on your network and then it would have settings. If you only use IP v4, you can disable the adapter until Microsoft creates new drivers for it or find some other way to tell Windows that the current drivers are working.

on the other hand, my security center warns me that my antivirus software is turned off when I am shutting down the computer anyway so who cares.

--20$

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:00 AM
  • THIS does not resolve it.I can't get any internet with vista 64 due to isatap, and most of the computer functions,viz office,restore,device manager,etc simply freeze the computer.

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:15 PM
  • I only have 32 bit Vista Home Premium. So I have no idea what your requirements are I only know that it has to be IPv6 for the ISATAP adapter to be needed in a 32 bit environment so if your network is IPv4 then you will not need it.

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I'm on 64b Home Premium on a ASUS P5E3 Premium Wifi-AP@n Mobo... This ISATAP thing just showed up last night.  My wireless is NOT working, the ASUS wireless utility reads my 802.11n as disabled and\or removed.
    • Proposed as answer by johneasy Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:00 AM
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:46 AM
  • MICROSOFT ISATAP ADAPTER #4 IS NOT FUNCTIONING. AN ERROR WAS FOUND WHILE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL. CODE 31 APPEARS . HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM ?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:46 PM
  • here it   goes   as the rest of us  are in wait til microsoft   patches this  error 31

on this adapter   we are stuck in  the Twilight   zone   til   then   haha

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  

my wireless is not working too Sad

yellow exclamation ISATAP

yellow exclamation Microsoft 6to4 adapter

yellow exclamation Microsoft 6to4 adapter

Do we need to wait??  there are no solutions??

Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:38 PM
  • There are no solutions because it is not a priority for Microsoft to replace drivers when the old ones work just fine even though Windows INSISTS that they don't.

Also, when I am shutting down, Windows informs me that my Antivirus has been turned off. OF COURSE IT HAS BEEN TURNED OFF, I AM RESTARTING MY COMPUTER YOU DUMMY.

This is just another behaviour that has begun since upgrading to SP1.

On that subject, I ordered a copy of Windows Vista SP1 on DVD and after spending 3 1/2 months trying to get it to install and finding that I needed Microsoft's George Hilios's help to repair the corrupted Windows installation, I was informed that the copy of SP1 included on the DVD was faulty. George had to give me a good copy of the SP1 installation file from the Microsoft developers FTP site. A new patch file had to be created specifically for me and a few others.

I'm still waiting for my 20 $$ refund!

Monday, July 28, 2008 12:04 AM
  • so, how can I fix my wireless??

I have a laptop, it didn't come with a driver cd for anything.. Sad

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:52 AM
  •  

what ever computer company   made  the lap top  check with them for a update   or check with the router maker  ffor a  up date for your lap top
    Monday, July 28, 2008 6:15 AM
  •  

By Definition;

ISATAP is the (Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol) 

ISATAP is there to support IPv6 autoconfiguration, (which is why your also seeing a warning next to the  "4TO6" device).. the Idea is that it will tunnel MTUs and IPv6 multicast. This next-generation version is named Virtual EThernet (VET) and will use the Subnetwork Adapation and Encapsulation Layer (SEAL)

HOWEVER... 

It was not untill the SP1 deployment, that this came up.  so its deployment, was a bit premature.

Your Networking drivers Wireless or otherwise Should not have been affected by its installation Whatsoever.

HOWEVER... 

Driver Deployment updates With SP1 may have kicked out some of your older NIC/WAN drivers with its unintigraded IPv4 to IPv6 Protocol.

in which case Disable and uninstall 4TO6 in the Hardware Manager

Disable but leave ISATAP in the hardware list and go to your manufacturers Website
    and check for Post SP1 Driver updates for your computers Chipset.

Worked for me.

PS.. to the microsoft developer who came up with the name;

"Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol"

Thanks! you scared the *** out of me! I thought I was being hacked!

VERY!  not funny...

Peter Lago

MCSE

MCSA

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  

the problem is that I live in south america, my warranty time it's over.

I can't take it to the manufacturer

i need to fix it MYSELF Sad

if someone wants to help me I would apreciate

mi e-mail is: rafvelba@hotmail.com (i don't know if it's seccure what I'm doing)

ps: I can't replace my motherboard it's way tooooooo expensive Sad

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:46 AM
  • I also have a problem with connecting wirelessly. I had the code 31 error with Microsoft ISATAP adapter and uninstalled it, can anyone help me re-install it? lol

Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:59 AM
  • I have the same problem and I keep getting "could not reconnect all network drives."  the hardware network adapter and the wireless network adapter are working properly but the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter "cannot load the driver sofeware (Code 31)".   "check[ing] for a solution" and trying to update the driver software have done nothing.  how can i resotre or reinstall just this file?  (c:\...\tunnel.sys)

hasheran wrote:

Device Manager (under Network Adapters) shows MS ISATAP disabled with "Windows cannot load driver...(Code 31)".  When I try to update the driver, "Best driver already installed" comes up.  The option to rollback driver is greyed out.  A previous suggestion was to disable it in Dev Mgr and disable IP6 in Network Connections. However, when I did this,  both IE-7 and Windows Mail got a little flaky with some random errors and slow connections.  Is there a way to restore this driver without a complete OS reinstall or System Restore? 

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I have the same problem.  the adapter is not disabled but "windows cannot load driver software (Code 31)".  when i boot up the system doesn't reconnect all network drives.  the hardware LAN and wireless adapters work properly but the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter continues to have the problem.  "check[ing] for a solution" and trying to update the driver don't do anything.  how can i fix, restore or reinstall this file [c:\...\tunnel.sys] ?

hasheran wrote:

Device Manager (under Network Adapters) shows MS ISATAP disabled with "Windows cannot load driver...(Code 31)".  When I try to update the driver, "Best driver already installed" comes up.  The option to rollback driver is greyed out.  A previous suggestion was to disable it in Dev Mgr and disable IP6 in Network Connections. However, when I did this,  both IE-7 and Windows Mail got a little flaky with some random errors and slow connections.  Is there a way to restore this driver without a complete OS reinstall or System Restore? 

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Navigate to the hardware manager.

Look down the list.

Find the devices with a yellow triangle and excalamation point next to them.

you might find ISATAP adapter and 4TO6 adapter both have this error symbol

Disable and uninstall 4TO6

Disable and uninstall ISATAP adapter

Now scan for Hardware Changes

Your Missing driver will prompt Windows Driver Installer (close it)

Leave the Hardware manager open as you Navigate to your manufacturers Website

Look on the back or the side of your machiene for a model number, write it down and keep it handy.

Navigate to support/ Drivers for your particular Manufacturers website

It should ask you for that model number that you wrote down a minute ago.

Having entered the specific info about your computer to your manufacturers website you should now have a list of drivers infront of you.

Keep in mind the reason your still on the internet is because your using a NIC card or WLAN

So the driver for this particular case is usually a VOICE MODEM (sort of like a dial up modem)

Locate and install the Driver that applyes to your specific machiene in the category of modem.

SAVE the install program (dont just run it) to somwhere like "My documents"

Then run the install...

When the installation has finished go back to hardware manager and scan for hardware changes.

If you got the right driver then your set!

Pete

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:31 PM
  • OK let's get back to brass tacks.

The problem I am having is that VISTA has the correct drivers but VISTA SP1 tells me that the drivers are not correct

According to Microsoft, the drivers for the ISATAP adapter are the same for Vista and Vista SP1, However, when I upgraded to VISTA SERVICE PACK 1, the drivers were no longer listed as the correct ones.

Microsoft tells me that they should function correctly with the old drivers but I disabled it when I realized that I do not use IPv6 and got sick of the CONSTANT error messages and the Windows Driver Installation Wizard constantly appearing with every reboot.

let's solve the issue at hand.

The Windows Security Center could use some tweaking as well, upon startup it tells me that my antivirus software is disabled when it has not yet loaded. Perhaps warnings should wait until startup is complete and should be ignored during shut down. But this is not done.

AND WHERE THE *** IS MY FRELLING 20$ REBATE FROM THE DEFECTIVE SP1 DVD THAT THEY SENT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, August 01, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I have to ask..

did you try?   

Driver Deployment updates With SP1 may have kicked out some of your older NIC/WAN drivers with its unintigraded IPv4 to IPv6 Protocol.

Disable but leave ISATAP in the hardware list and go to your manufacturers Website

Worked for me.

Friday, August 01, 2008 4:34 AM
  • I never had a 4TO6 in my hardware manager. I don't know what that is. as for Dell's website, I have not checked but I will. However, since it is the Microsoft ISATAP Apapter, I had thought that  Microsoft should provide the drivers.

Saturday, August 02, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  

"I never had a 4TO6 in my hardware manager...."

that’s because IPv4 was how we got information around on the internet before IPv6 Protocol emerged. 

So, you never needed a IPv4 to IPv6 Adapter.

Now you have one, and your MODEM/NIC Card doesn’t know what to do with it.

Which is why If you go to your Manufacturers website and install new Updated drivers for your Modem, these devices will be recognized by your MODEM/NIC drivers that will now support ISTAP.

Some Background;

Increasing demand for Internet based services means that there would not be enough addresses to support this expected growth, if no action is taken. Encouraging internet users and providers to adopt the latest Internet Protocol (IP version 6 or IPv6) will provide a massive increase in address space, much in the same way as telephone numbers were lengthened in the 20th century.

What is IPv6?

IPv6 is short for "Internet Protocol Version 6". IPv6 is the "next generation" protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").

Most of today's internet uses IPv4, which is now nearly twenty years old. IPv4 has been remarkably resilient in spite of its age, but it is beginning to have problems. Most importantly, there is a growing shortage of IPv4 addresses, which are needed by all new machines added to the Internet.

IPv6 fixes a number of problems in IPv4, such as the limited number of available IPv4 addresses. It also adds many improvements to IPv4 in areas such as routing and network auto configuration. IPv6 is expected to gradually replace IPv4, with the two coexisting for a number of years during a transition period.

Now with more computers on the streaming Video and Enhanced Content we need a more complex language that will support more layers of information to help sustain and make use of Bandwidth.

Think of IPv6 as a Dual Layer DVD. with IPv4-to-IPv6 each representing a Layer.

Dual layers made it possible to Hold more information on the same size disk by using two light wave frequencies
    Each receptive to its own layer 

ISATAP  is a transition mechanism which can be used within a site to connect isolated IPv6/IPv4-dualstack hosts to the IPv6 internet. It contains the word "automatic" in its name because once an ISATAP server/router has been set up only the clients must be configured to connect to it.

(Two Railroads with Freight now instead of one)

" I don't know what that is."

ISATAP is there to support IPv6 auto configuration, (which is why your also seeing a warning next to the  "4TO6" device).. the Idea is that it will tunnel MTUs and IPv6 multicast. This next-generation version is named Virtual EThernet (VET) and will use the Subnetwork Adapation and Encapsulation Layer (SEAL)

and check for Post SP1 Driver updates for your computers Modem (sometimes a Voice modem)

Sunday, August 03, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Is that when this started, with vista SP1? I am having the same problem and every time I log back in I have no internet and it tells  me that my IP address is invalid and won't reset it. I need to keep resetting the network adapter.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:48 PM
  •  

Hi I am not a techy or do I know much about computers or software a message came up:  Devie Driver software not successfuly installed. Microsoft ISATAP #12  Failed  Consult device Manufaturer to getting device driver installed.

Any ideas what I can do next...I have an Acer computer.  Should I go to Acer next? Thank you in advance.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:45 PM
  • My wireless adapter is also not working, if you find a solution please tell me, thnx
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:19 PM
  •  

this   is the only wat to repair this   error   you have to  reinstall  vista  fromthe beginning  then reinstall   vista sp1 from the beginning    there is a filter  update from  microsoft that was  released as a  optional update     that was actualyy critical  in  vista sp1 being released  that is  now  availible   on the re in stall of   all  from vista  to vista sp1  to correct   the   isatap adapter   error  31   ok 
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:14 PM
  • This information is grossly inadequate - ISATAPI Error Code 31 - and unable to connect to the internet - to simply ignore does nothing to help me fix the issue in order to reconnect the internet

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:28 AM
  •  

Navigate to the hardware manager.

Look down the list.

Look on the back or the side of your machiene for a model number, write it down and keep it handy.

Navigate to support/ Drivers for your particular Manufacturers website (on a friends computer if you have to)

Having entered the specific info about your computer to your manufacturers website you should now have a list of drivers infront of you.

Keep in mind the reason your still on the internet is because your using a NIC card or WLAN

So the driver for this particular case is usually a VOICE MODEM (sort of like a dial up modem)

Locate and install the Driver that applyes to your specific machiene in the category of modem.

Then run the install...

When the installation has finished go back to hardware manager and scan for hardware changes.

Pete

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Thanks Pete - excellent advice - went to my providers website and you guessed it new drivers sitting there. You should be on Microsofts payroll !

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Glad to be of help! Thanks for the kind words! Ill tell em' you sent me!

Pete

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:20 AM
  • guys im getting a code 10 isatap error... my wireless on my laptop isnt workin.. i tryed to uninstall it but it didnt work. please if anyone knows how to fix it let me know thx

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:21 AM
  •  

Sounds like the wireless device needs to be reset. Try this:

Take the battery out of your laptop, Whyle the battery is out and the laptop is unplugged

Hold the power button down for 30 seconds: (this resets the chipset memory) (on some models)

After 30 seconds of holding the power button down whyle unplugged,

Replace the battery where you found it and
    power on your laptop.

Be sure the switch for wireless transmissions is on.

Try your connection. let us know how it went for you.

Post Restart; if your still having problems..

and check for Post SP1 Driver updates for your computers Modem (sometimes a Voice modem)

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  

ok i tryed that but it didnt do anything also i cant find a 4T06? is there anythign esle i could do to fix it ?

also i have a hp dv9000 with windows vista

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:14 PM
  • I have the exact HP dv9000 laptop w/ vista home premium. The wireless adaptor is Broadcom b/g. Although I was able to use wireless for a long time (w/ lots of broken conenctions & headaches) I cannot connect at all now.

My ISP provider has suggested that the yellow flag next to ISATAP could be the problem. They have tried pretty much everything, the only exception is they couldnt find a driver update to make this ISATAP function normally.

What bothers me is despite the yellow flag I was able to connect until recently. Cant understand why?? Perhaps the only extra info would be, just before it failed me competely I was trying to connect wirelessly from a LinKsys USB Adaptor on a a2nd desktop PC.

Hope I get to see some postive emails on this thread!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Peter Lago

Can this problem solution also be used for my NIC drivers all with the same steps? The reason i asked is because everyone else seems to be having their problem with their Wifi but I have the problom with my accursed LAN. It will not allow me to reconise any other node or network device and it shows no light in the panel that shows me that my computer can reconise and acknowledge the devices\nodes.

Ps I agree with the other dude....Microsoft should make you RICH!!!!!!lol

Many thanks for your helpfel post and hope for a reply soon!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 8:10 AM
  •  

Yes.

ISATAP is there to support IPv6 autoconfiguration, (which is why your also seeing a warning next to the  "4TO6" device).. the Idea is that it will tunnel MTUs and IPv6 multicast. This next-generation version is named Virtual EThernet (VET) and will use the Subnetwork Adapation and Encapsulation Layer (SEAL)

HOWEVER... 

It was not untill the SP1 deployment, that this came up.  so its deployment, was a bit premature.

Your Networking drivers Wireless or otherwise Should not have been affected by its installation Whatsoever.

HOWEVER... 

Heres how to fix it;

Navigate to the hardware manager.

Look down the list.

Navigate to support/ Drivers for your particular Manufacturers website (on a friends computer if you have to)

Then run the install...

If your NIC Driver is non functional, Grab a friends computer and get the newest driver for it from the manufacturers website. UnInstall the NIC Card/Restart the computer/ and install the new driver when prompted.

Let me know how it went.

Peter

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hi Peter,

I realise you this discussion is a bit dated, but I've run into this problem myself.  I went ahead and uninstalled the ISATAP driver -- hoping to reinstall it again -- but now that I've uninstalled it, it is not available for reinstall.  I should have thought it through.  Anyway, I have searched high and low and am unable to find a place from which I can download the driver.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nancy
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Hi Peter,
    I seem to have done the same thing as nancy! i have disabled and uninstalled the isatap but cant find the driver for it on the samsung website. any suggestions?
    (must be a woman thing lol)
    Thanks
    Christina
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hey nancy,
    You didnt manage to find a solution for that isatap prob did you? i've done the same thing as you!
    Thanks
    Christina
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:09 PM
  • No I never received a response and still have been unable to find a driver to replace.  Everything seems to be working, but I may have compromised efficiency somewhere along the line.  It's hard to tell.  If you find anything out, please let me know!

Cheers,
    Nancy
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:09 PM
  • CAN I DELETE THE MICROSOFT ISATAP ADAPTER #4 AND RENSTALL IT AGAIN?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:16 AM
  • Hi
    Im in big trouble..... i noticed the yellow exclamation mark on my isatap adapter and at the same time my built in dvd burner is no longer being recognised by my laptop.  I assumed one was related to the other, not being very technically gifted, so i disabled the adapter and now it's disappeared and i don't have any way of getting it back and also my dvd burner is still not being recognised when i use windows dvd maker, when it was before??????
    Helppppppppp, i need my burner
    I'd like to kick some billionaires butt!!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:13 PM
  • I have an HP Pavillion and they don't have an ISATAP driver listed. Following your instructions, I already uninstalled the ISATAP driver but now can't reinstall it. What should I do? Thx.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:31 AM
  • My Vista x64 based HP's touch buttons stopped working, it also made it where my wireless stopped working and listed as "disabled" with no option to turn it back on. Then all the problems above (all the way above lol) started going on with my computer....but I FIXED IT!!!...with my computer still on...I took out the battery and unplugged my computer. I Held down the power button for 30 seconds...(with it still off) and then put the battery back in. when I turn the computer back on...all my drivers worked, my buttons worked and my wifi AND internet worked again.

I'm not saying it WILL work for everyone...but it worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by pencilkungfu Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Has anyone tried this command yet? (run command prompt as an administrator)

netsh winsock reset catalog

"This command resets the Winsock catalog to the default configuration. This can be useful if a malformed LSP is installed that results in loss of network connectivity. While use of this command can restore network connectivity, it should be used with care because any previously-installed LSPs will need to be re-installed."

Monday, November 09, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Go to this link, download the Microsoft fixit automated troubleshooting service and follow the prompts:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Default.aspx?diagid=100005&eulaaccept=yes&createshortcut=true&entrypoint=smc

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:56 PM
  • For 2 seperate systems I am seeing Code 10 - device could not start.

I also uninstalled and it did not reappear. I tested both the above ideas. FixIt doesn't fix anything and neither did the Winsock command (run from admin command prompt).

For those looking to get it back after deleting it please note that this is not a plug and play driver so it will not magically reappear. You can find it under Legacy Devices if you choose "Add legacy hardware" and you will have to select it from this Microsoft options. Ah, and no it doesn't work after doing so.

I am working with Vista 32 BIT Ent. Ed., some 1300 systems. It wasn't until I started working with a another means of deploying in mass did I come accross this issue. I also have one copy of Vista Buisness. What I find odd about the error is that on the Vista Buisness the adapter is there in spades; 2 of them. On the Ent. Ed. I have only one. On Buisness Ed. both that show up are working but on the Ent. Ed. the single one that shows up has error code 10. This is the result of using the mass deployment solution i am currently testing.

I have replicated this to several systems. What is odd is that I have used the same media to load systems by hand and I do not even see this adapter load as part of the install routine.

Shoot me for pointing this out, however, for those that have not loaded your systems from a Windows disk and have relied on your computer manufacturer to load your system or who provided you some sort of image for loading it may be getting an added bonus. Otherwise, I would have to guess at this point that there is something odd happening at the time of install that is a one time event that can't be corrected in the device manager.

I would have to agree with the others that your networking problems should not be related to this adapter unless you are using IPv6 as all of my systems can still access the internet without this adapter installed.

I do not like this behavior in a system so if Microsoft could see it in thier power to make a new driver and add it to the FixIT that would be great.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:34 PM
  • I had the same problem with ISATAP and, concurrently, frequent crashes with FF and the router would not automatically connect on booting, forcing me to do so manually every time. I fixed the latter by running from the command prompt: netsh winsock reset catalog, followed by netsh int ip resetlog.txt

Don't know yet if this will fix the FF crashes.

I also uninstalled ISATAP. Don't know if that will create new problems but can always reinstall from Add Hardware (control panel).
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:15 PM
  • One day later and FF is still running without interruption and no connection loss. Looks like I may have my solution.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Go to this link, download the Microsoft fixit automated troubleshooting service and follow the prompts:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Default.aspx?diagid=100005&eulaaccept=yes&createshortcut=true&entrypoint=smc

Shaun_88 link worked for me
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Device Manager (under Network Adapters) shows MS ISATAP disabled with "Windows cannot load driver...(Code 31)".  When I try to update the driver, "Best driver already installed" comes up.  The option to rollback driver is greyed out. My Bluetooth connection isn't working anymore .  Is there a way to restore this driver without a complete OS reinstall or System Restore or plainly FIX IT?

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Shaun_88 had the fix for me, so thanks!  This should help a lot of people who are intimidated by the idea of disabling or uninstalling things from device manager.  Plus, while I found a lot of the other advice and posts to be very informative, they weren't very helpful...so, cheers, shaun!

Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Code 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Not only was i getting this Adapter #13 ISATAP error msg (code 31) but I have also been having problems with my WLAN card being flaky.

I followed Pete's suggestion above and now my WLAN card shows up under the device manager.  Now I am back on line, which Im happy about.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:50 PM
  •  If isatap's are not listed in Device Manager or the driver reinstall does not solve your issue you will have to physically remove the adapter and put it back in then restart your computer to resolve your issue.
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:46 PM
  • So... everyone has mentioned SP1... what if you've gotten to the SP2... then what? I'm having a problem with Adapter #5, Adapter #6, and I get code 39 for the Broadcom 802. 11g Network Adapter. I tried downloading that last one again through microsoft and nothing happened. I'm no techy, but I can navigate a computer fairly well if you have any ideas as to what I should do...
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

Just had a similar situation arise with at Toshiba A305 running Vista Home Premium using 3GB ram.  So, to solve this problem I opened Device Manager kn the Hardware sector of the control panel and disabled the ISATAP adapter, rebooted the system, then went back into Device Manager and ENABLED the ISATAP adapter. Reboot the system again with the adapter enabled and the problem goes away because the driver can load on the reboot.  Try it; you might like the result.

creyn1

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I had the dreaded caution triangle on my ISATAP adapter.I lost my wireless connection at the same time.I went through this,and 5 other forums.I performed nearly all the suggested remedies on my home vista OS.Turns out on my gateway acer,the FN and F2 keys are a toggle for the wireless network.I simply held down the FN key,and tapped the F2.BOOM...!!! wireless connectivity enabled.Check your function keys folks.

• Edited by gomerhed Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:31 PM