none
How can I get my windows 7 application to "see" and use a legacy device running in Virtual XP mode

Question

• I am trying to utilize a legacy audio device, USB interface, thatwill not run under Windows 7.

I upgradedrofessional edition, downloaded Virtual PC and XP Mode utilities, loaded the legacy drivers and the harware is no up and running inVirtual XP Mode.

The problem is that I need to control the device using software running under Windows 7; but the neither the software nor the Windows 7 environment see the device thats running in the virutal XP Mode.

Any ideas on how to remedy this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:06 PM

Answers

• Most legacy hardware cannot be detected nor supported in an Virtual Machine.  VMs have their own specific hardware emulation.  Even if you could get them recognized and installed in the XP Mode VM they would not be seen by Win 7, they would only be visible in the XP Mode VM.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:30 PM

All replies

• Most legacy hardware cannot be detected nor supported in an Virtual Machine.  VMs have their own specific hardware emulation.  Even if you could get them recognized and installed in the XP Mode VM they would not be seen by Win 7, they would only be visible in the XP Mode VM.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Thank you!

I was hoping that would not be the answer; else I just invested $100 to upgrade to Win 7 Professional for no purpose.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:46 PM