Ok.. What happened to the Application Compatibility Tab...?

Question

• In previous versions of Windows, there was a tab on the properties dialog for a shortcut that allowed you to run an app in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows. I installed an app that was semi-temperamental under Windows 7 until I told it to treat it as an XP app.

But the Windows 8 property dialog doesn't seem to have that tab. Anyone got any ideas on where to set this or are we just making a clean break?

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:23 PM

All replies

• We did not make any changes in this area, the compatibility tab is still there for desktop applications.  You can't get to the compatibility tab from the tile on the Start screen, is that what you are trying to do?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:17 PM
  • I have a game I'd like to play. So I installed it last night. I got the game installed. I didn't see a shortcut to the game in the Start/Metro screen, so I dug down into C:\Program Files and found the game's launcher. I then created a shortcut and put it on the desktop. I then right-clicked on said shortcut and looked.  No compatibility tab.

I can't seem to figure out how to get an image link to work properly from Skydrive - but here's the link:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=0d95e6555ee14cab&resid=D95E6555EE14CAB!388&parid=D95E6555EE14CAB!386

Also... Right-clicking on the target file itself in Explorer and checking properties there - there's no compatibility tab there either.

• Edited by Wolfie2k6 Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:50 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Do you see the compatibility tab on a program built-in to Windows?  For example, notepad?  (C:\Windows\Notepad.exe)

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Strangely, yes.. I do see one on Regedit. Found that one first - the icon was more distinctive.

Also found one on Chrome's icon and one on Firefox's icon (been testing those under Win8 as well). And it's there on Jasc Software's PaintShop Pro 7's executable (It's an oldie, but a goodie)… I checked those as those are the only non-Microsoft apps installed (so far). They all have the compatibility tab.

But the game in question lacks one - and has that Digital Signature tab the others are lacking.

I just checked the file located on the Windows 7 drive (I multi-boot to Vista, 7 and 8) and the executable on the Windows 7 drive is also lacking the Compatibility tab and has the Digital Signature tab instead.

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Just for grins and giggles.. I rebooted the box into Windows 7 and checked the shortcut and the EXE file. Both have a compatibility tab.

Here's a link to the pic... Note there's 6 tabs available under Windows 7..

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=0d95e6555ee14cab&resid=D95E6555EE14CAB!389&parid=D95E6555EE14CAB!386

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:51 AM
  • So it seems this application has an embedded digital signature, that is the reason for the Digital Signature tab appearing.  What is the status of the signature in this tab?  Can you boot to Windows 7 and compare?

I will run this by our Developer Support folks to see if this would be normal behavior for an application that does not have a valid Authenticode signature.

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Don -

Well.. I have no idea why a digital signature is included in Win 8 - there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in Windows 7. In Win 7, it's the standard stuff you'd find on any other program you might come across.

The digital signature page shows the name of the original company that made the game which has since gone out of business.

Hmm... Now this is kind of interesting.. I clicked on the View Certificate button on the General page for the digital signature.. The certificate was valid between June 29, 2008 and June 30, 2009 (which sounds about right). On the Certificate Path tab, it says the "Certificate is OK."

Oddly enough, under Windows 7 when I installed it in Jan 2010, there was NO issue with installation - other than registration. The game uses one of those obnoxious security tools - Securerom for anti-piracy protection and installing the expansion for this game didn't work quite as expected. I had to use a manual workaround to get that done. But I haven't even gotten close to getting there yet.

Now I do have a thought that crossed my mind. If I'm to understand correctly, Windows Defender in Win 8 has the features of Microsoft Security Essentials built in. Could that have somehow mucked about with this installation and be causing the issues I'm having?

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for the additional information, can you provide more details to assist with the investigation?

1. Does this application run at all in Windows 8 Consumer Preview?  If not, what is the issue that you are seeing with this application?

2. Is the screenshot you posted above from Windows 7 or Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

3. When you installed this application in Windows 8 Consumer Preview, did you receive a notification that stated something like "This application may not work correctly with this version of Windows..."?

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Don -

1.) I haven't gotten far with the running the app so far. I have some patches to install - the first of which won't install saying a clean install of the first batch of files is somehow changed and wants me to reinstall the app. (which is why I'm kind of wondering if Defender has anything to do with it.)

I just went through the activation process. I'm going to try running the app now. I will post again to let you know how it goes.

2. ) I've got 2 screenshots posted in this thread. The top one is from Windows 8 CP and the bottom one is from Windows 7. Let me know if there is an issue with viewing either.

3.) Nope. There was no complaint issued from within Win 8 about the installation process. As far as I know, it should work.

Edit: OK.. I've gotten through the activation and launched the original version of the game. It runs. How well...? I can't swear it'll run through a marathon session, but it did launch correctly. It did complain about having access through the firewall - which I gave it. I started playing and after a few minutes of getting the controls sorted out - it ran well enough for me to get to the first checkpoint.

Of course, this is version 2.02 and the game's final incarnation is 2.65... I got some patching to do...

• Edited by Wolfie2k6 Friday, March 23, 2012 7:14 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Can you send me an email so that I can reply with a link to install the feedback tool?  My address is my user name @microsoft.com.

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Don -

Done. Email sent.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:06 PM
  • We did not make any changes in this area, the compatibility tab is still there for desktop applications.  You can't get to the compatibility tab from the tile on the Start screen, is that what you are trying to do?
    I see Microsoft has removed Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 from the list of OSes on the compatibility tab. Why is Microsoft hell bent and determined to make users' lives harder and force us to use Application Compatibility Toolkit. Please put back the missing OSes in the App Compat tab. For 64-bit Windows, you also need to put Windows XP x64/Windows Server 2003 x64 to that list.

• Edited by xpclient Monday, March 26, 2012 2:40 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Don -

Done. Email sent.

Feedback tool installed and feedback sent.

Very cool utility btw... The video capture thing GREAT idea! Too bad it's not more broadly available.
    • Edited by Wolfie2k6 Monday, March 26, 2012 9:15 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Arthur Xie -

This is not the answer. There's something else going on here.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:35 AM
  • If you find a solution to getting that ''Compatibility tab back, please contact me at brandondoorman117@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Friday, April 06, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Oddly i have just built my new computer and was running Supreme Commander Forged Alliance just fine yesterday and now it says not compatible please run windows98 or 2000 or newer version and i have the same issue no compatibility tab but there's the digital signature so reading this thread no one has solved the issue?
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:34 AM
  • This application is not compatible with the installed operation system.
    Please upgrade to Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 or better.
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:38 AM
  • http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html
    • Proposed as answer by Oblivion9788 Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:43 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:43 AM