none
gadgets not displaying properly

Question

• I am having a problem in which some gadgets (3rd party gadgets downloaded from the online gallery) do not display properly.  In some cases the problem is related to transparency of the gadget: the corners look ragged or there is a weird purple color present.  In other cases, the gadget doesn't show up at all although it does appear to take up space on the desktop (additional gadgets are added below where the non-appearing gadget was placed).  Finally, some gadgets appear to be functioning properly but are cut off, i.e. the bottom half of the gadget doesn't show up but the top half does.  Is this a problem with the gadgets themselves, or is it a problem with something in the way that Windows is trying to display them?  I would hope that gadgets compatible with Vista would also be compatible with Windows 7.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:51 PM

Answers

• I have UAC set at the default level.  As far as I can tell, the gadgets are all running properly.  The problem is just a graphical glitch in the way they are displayed.  It's not a serious issue, but I think it is worth looking into because it would be nice if all of the Vista-compatible gadgets were also compatible with Windows 7.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• You probably have UAC turned off. Since gadgets also run in 'Protected Mode OFF", turning off UAC is an error that the system is not designed to handle it. (nor is it likely any of the gagdet makers will be 'fixing' them)
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Alex T JrModerator Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MattGondo Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:58 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:57 AM
  • I have UAC set at the default level.  As far as I can tell, the gadgets are all running properly.  The problem is just a graphical glitch in the way they are displayed.  It's not a serious issue, but I think it is worth looking into because it would be nice if all of the Vista-compatible gadgets were also compatible with Windows 7.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I agree. The change to 'undocked' should not be impacting your system.execute at all. I find my scripting for shell.run does fine. File a bug.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:20 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the same issue with the gadgets. It just stopped displaying properly. They are all showing up on my desktop. But the graphic intensity is not there. For eg. the clock is diplaying only one needle and the remaining portion is black in color. Is there a fix for this. There were some dll fixes for the same issue in Vista. But the same commands are not working in Win 7. 
    • Proposed as answer by MAYANX Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:48 PM
  • You should try running the command : sfc  /scannow

You may have damaged system files.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Thank you Mark. I'll give it a try today and let you know.
    • Proposed as answer by HBO22 Friday, February 18, 2011 10:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by HBO22 Friday, February 18, 2011 10:11 PM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 7:25 AM
  • I have the same problem. But i've try the solution above, still the gadget cannot display properly. Do you have another way to solve it?
    Friday, February 18, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Mark,

I am not 100% sure that I agree that gadgets will not show up with UAC turned off. My inherent distrust of Macro$carf and the fact I have an average to slightly above average understanding of Windows operation have led me to turn UAC OFF (totally).

Until today, my gadgets were working. To potentially 'fix' another problem, I upgraded my Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Win 7 Pro 64 bit using the 'anytime upgrade'.

Now three of the five gadgets I normally run are showing up only as a white box with a less than (<) character where the upper left corner of the gadget would appear. The three malfunctioning gadgets are a digital clock (I dropped an analog clock onto the sidebar and it works). One of the CPU/RAM gadgets and a network monitoring gadget).

I have also closed and added the gadgets back from the gadget window. I've even verified the gadgets are current (no updates).

What the 'missing' gadgets seem to be doing is showing some part of an XML tag though as I have never tried to develop a gadget, I am not sure what they would be developed using, but I can see an XML or XHTML wrapper as a possibility.

Two other gadgets are working fine (a calendar and the weatherbug gadget).

I have even gone back and turned UAC on with no change in the gadgets appearance.

Friday, May 06, 2011 8:39 PM